• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mackie MR524 | Studio Monitor | Measurements & Subjective Impressions

OP
Weeb Labs

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This replay is way too late, but the Mackies don't have DSP. I got this from contacting there customer service and they also showed me a diagram of the workings of the speaker and it doesn't show any DSP. The JBL 305 also doesn't have DSP. The KALI Audio LP6 has dsp and about 2ms latency according to there customer service. The Mackie is a class A/B powered speaker and it does get hot due to this. I've heard a reviewer remark how the MR624 sounded great at low volumes. While I own the speakers I don't have anything to compare them to, but they do sound good at low volume not sure if it's any better than other speakers though?
Likewise a slightly late response but the LSR 305 and 305P are in fact DSP monitors and make use of the STA350BW for this purpose. System latency is 0.65ms.

Reggiejackson

So I pla
So I play a frequencie, then I assume I hook my mic up where I would be sitting if listening to my speakers record the audio and adjust eq till it matches the correct frequencie? I'm not entirely sure what do with the online tone generator?
Likewise a slightly late response but the LSR 305 and 305P are in fact DSP monitors and make use of the STA350BW for this purpose.
The 305p contains all analog circuitry, and only has analog inputs. Unfortunately I don't have a latency spec, but it would be undetectable to human ears if there was any latency at all, and measured in nanoseconds.

Hope this helps,

MANNY OKON
Technical Support Engineer
Harman Professional Solutions

3000 Research Drive
Richardson, TX 75082
United States
Phone: +1 844-776-4899 Option 3
Email: [email protected]
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.harman.com
From customer support in emails.. For some reason their customer support is through Harman professional solutions.

OP
Weeb Labs

Weeb Labs

So I pla

So I play a frequencie, then I assume I hook my mic up where I would be sitting if listening to my speakers record the audio and adjust eq till it matches the correct frequencie?

From customer support in emails.. For some reason their customer support is through Harman professional solutions.
PCBs don't lie but customer support might.

lsr305-2.jpg

staticV3

Master Contributor
So I play a frequencie, then I assume I hook my mic up where I would be sitting if listening to my speakers record the audio and adjust eq till it matches the correct frequencie?
No. If you want to EQ out room modes by ear, you would use a tone generator like that website, then sweep bass frequencies and listen for room modes.

If you have a measurement mic, then you would use REW to properly measure the in-room response of your speakers.
Use the Moving Microphone Method for this, not sweeps.

Reggiejackson

^ Sweep bass frequencies [ this would be playing bass frequencies?] Then I would listen for " Room Modes" [ sound reflections} and adjust the eq till the room modes are fixed?

OP
Weeb Labs

Weeb Labs

^ Sweep bass frequencies [ this would be playing bass frequencies?] Then I would listen for " Room Modes" [ sound reflections} and adjust the eq till the room modes are fixed?
Correct. Strong modes will be audible as significant peaks or dips in volume as you sweep the band. Unless you have a great deal of headroom available or specific knowledge of the desired listening SPLs, only peaks should be corrected in this manner.

OP
Weeb Labs

Weeb Labs

Interesting I can see the chip your talking about. How about the Mackie MR 524 any DSP on there? They even linked me to a diagram of the workings of the monitor and it showed no dsp
The 524 is a simple active crossover and a pair of class AB amplifiers. Specifically, TDA7294s.

1682465681565.jpeg
1682465747204.jpeg

OP
Weeb Labs

Weeb Labs

I think I'm just gonna buy this https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-ECM8000-Ultra-Linear-Measurement-Microphone/dp/B000HT4RSA and try and do it right. I can probably use my interface EQ if I do it this way.
If you are interested in purchasing a measurement microphone, then I would recommend a UMIK-1. Regardless of the microphone selected however, the four PEQ filters available on your interface are insufficient to implement a proper correction. You need at least 8-10 filters.

Top Bottom