• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mackie MR524 | Studio Monitor | Measurements & Subjective Impressions

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I know that everyone has been anxiously awaiting news of my decision. Despite my hesitation to buy speakers that have no measurements available, I've decided to go with the Wharfedale 12.0 + Aiyima D03. (I'd forgotten that DAC/AMP even existed). That gives me what will at worst be a huge step up from the Logitech set I've been suffering with for 2 years, and an excellent TV speaker set once I upgrade, for a total cost of $330 + $20 for extra luggage allowance. That is, if the Wharfedales don't shoot up in price like the 305Ps did (from $305 to $475 overnight) before I can get to Thailand to buy them. @Weeb Labs, thank you for your reply and for running the tests in the first place. The MR524 and BX5 are tied as my fallback options.

Collin

I know that everyone has been anxiously awaiting news of my decision. Despite my hesitation to buy speakers that have no measurements available, I've decided to go with the Wharfedale 12.0 + Aiyima D03. (I'd forgotten that DAC/AMP even existed). That gives me what will at worst be a huge step up from the Logitech set I've been suffering with for 2 years, and an excellent TV speaker set once I upgrade, for a total cost of $330 + $20 for extra luggage allowance. That is, if the Wharfedales don't shoot up in price like the 305Ps did (from $305 to $475 overnight) before I can get to Thailand to buy them. @Weeb Labs, thank you for your reply and for running the tests in the first place. The MR524 and BX5 are tied as my fallback options.
I've had the same dilemma for desktop/pc speakers as nearfield listening, after trashed ex 2.1 audio system.

Those Mackie MR524 are nice with their 6.8 score (with EQ), but I can't tell how this score will be translated into real experience against another option with lower score with EQ, like M-Audio DX5 D3 (5.7), or Kali LP-6v2 (6.3), and nobody knows...

So I've went for Edifier R1280T (5.8 with EQ), really cheap (75 USD). I also use a DAC.

In the near future I'll build a pair of speakers for mid field (2.5m) listening, paired with a sub, powered by Aiyima amp (07 or D03) at low volume:
MTG Designs AlTi DIYlowest 63Hz - ±1.4dBscore: 6,3 8,5 (+sub)6,9 (+EQ)8,9 (EQ+sub)
There are no measurements for 75 db listening at such distance (2-3m), so it remains a blind decision. I have no interest into more powerful speakers, 35-65w range are enough. Maybe Mackie MR524 are enough, or the 8" version, but there is no measurements/EQ for them.

Any suggestion will be appreciated. ;-)

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
FWIW, the R1280Ts make fine multimedia speakers and will go surprisingly loud, but honestly they don't sound entirely "hi-fi" to these ears. I suppose it's mainly the woofer's breakup modes and resulting uneven treble, limited bass response and a cabinet that isn't exactly super inert (I mean, what do you expect at the price?).

The AlTi is a 5" / 1" bookshelf with very little waveguide to speak of, and the spins reflect that in the characteristic widening in the lower treble. It's by no means terrible (after all this sort of configuration has been a workhorse for many years), but I'd consider dispersion a tad too wide for 2.5-3 m. At these distances I'd want to see at least 8" and a sizeable waveguide. Think Kali LP8v2, JBL LSR308P or Behringer B2031A, ADAM T8V (well, in light of their dispersion irregularities, perhaps rather the T7V), or perhaps Tannoy Gold 8 (the Golds are not known for first-rate level handling but may work for you). All of these are active with preferably balanced input though, so you'd have to look for similar passives or adjust the support infrastructure accordingly.

3125b

Major Contributor
or the 8" version, but there is no measurements/EQ for them.
They're ... fine. SPL capability is rather good actually, as is bass extension (due to the 8" mid-woofer). If you can EQ, the mediocre FR doesn't really matter, directivity is (above) average as well.
I remember hearing them quite some time ago (so take this for what it's worth), didn't love them, but thought they were decent enough even without EQ given the price. Granted, the other monitors I went there to test that day were much more expensive, so not really a fair comparison.
The Kli LP6v2 cost the same though, they are smaller and hence offer less bass extension.

Deadleg

I'm on the search for decent budget monitors and came across this Mackie range which looks like it could fit the bill so thanks for the measurements - very useful! Although they'd be for nearfield, low volume listening/production/mixing I'm thinking more of the MR624s since a fair chunk of what I listen to has a lot of low end (dub reggae and the like). Just hoping they won't be too much to the point of annoying the neighbours. I also see some complaints about this range kicking out a lot of heat but I guess that's something you've got to check out for yourself.

One thing I'd like to confirm is, do these have any form of DSP or processing that could add latency? I'd kind of resigned myself to spending a fortune on Genelecs or going passive with an amp to avoid that, since even the 3ms delay on some active monitors is enough to go from 'this is OK' to 'urgh this feels bad' when playing instruments if you're right on the threshold already from your interface latency.

staticV3

Master Contributor
If you are able to perceive a difference in latency between one system and another, then you can be sure as hell that it's larger than 3ms.

Deadleg

Well, I'd prefer not to get into an argument about that if that's OK, I've seen that happen enough times when people are discussing latency in production. I can add 3ms delay to the master in my DAW and absolutely feel the difference in response when playing guitar but if anyone wants to disbelieve that, that's fine.

I'd be grateful if anyone could confirm about the Mackies though, I get the impression they don't have DSP but it'd be great to know for sure.

gasolin75

they cost more than €100, they cost around €129 each

Reggiejackson

Well, I'd prefer not to get into an argument about that if that's OK, I've seen that happen enough times when people are discussing latency in production. I can add 3ms delay to the master in my DAW and absolutely feel the difference in response when playing guitar but if anyone wants to disbelieve that, that's fine.

I'd be grateful if anyone could confirm about the Mackies though, I get the impression they don't have DSP but it'd be great to know for sure.
This replay is way too late, but the Mackies don't have DSP. I got this from contacting there customer service and they also showed me a diagram of the workings of the speaker and it doesn't show any DSP. The JBL 305 also doesn't have DSP. The KALI Audio LP6 has dsp and about 2ms latency according to there customer service. The Mackie is a class A/B powered speaker and it does get hot due to this. I've heard a reviewer remark how the MR624 sounded great at low volumes. While I own the speakers I don't have anything to compare them to, but they do sound good at low volume not sure if it's any better than other speakers though?

gasolin75

Dsp doesn't matter, just imagine how many speaker amp combinations that don't have dsp

Last edited:

Reggiejackson

Hey I'm wondering how does one add the EQ to this speaker? @Maiky76 linked to an app https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

Preamp: -1.5 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 100.72, -2.63, 1.29
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 932.68, -2.46, 6.62
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1263.70, 1.59, 3.15
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2556.17, 0.62, 2.13
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 4171.60, -1.48, 6.27
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 5724.70, -1.02, 4.18
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 9769.89, -4.39, 3.73
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 16795.89, -3.70, 5.16
And I assume ^ is what is too be added to the app?

I'm wondering if I can do the EQ on my audiointerface which has built in mixer and eq. Would it be possible for someone with no experience to do that? I'm concerned about latency with the app as I use my speakers mostly for amps sims [ playing instruments] Although a quick google brought me to some posts that claimed the latency of that app is in micro seconds [ millions of a second]. I'm not sure if that is possible, as I thought apps like sonarworks have heavy latency and even speakers with dsp like the Kali audio lp6 add 2milliseconds of latency. Either way I would rather use my audio interfaces EQ. I just have no idea how to set it. Would the numbers ^ work on it? Thanks for any help.

P.S

I have my speakers in a corner the MR 524 has a setting for corners which I have it on, and I put a bass trap in that corner from ceiling to floor which I think helped a little bit with the bass which I felt was too much. With my setup would the EQ even be useful?

gasolin75

No you won't know ho much your room effect the frequency responce of your speakers

OP
Weeb Labs

Weeb Labs

Hey I'm wondering how does one add the EQ to this speaker? @Maiky76 linked to an app https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

And I assume ^ is what is too be added to the app?

I'm wondering if I can do the EQ on my audiointerface which has built in mixer and eq. Would it be possible for someone with no experience to do that? I'm concerned about latency with the app as I use my speakers mostly for amps sims [ playing instruments] Although a quick google brought me to some posts that claimed the latency of that app is in micro seconds [ millions of a second]. I'm not sure if that is possible, as I thought apps like sonarworks have heavy latency and even speakers with dsp like the Kali audio lp6 add 2milliseconds of latency. Either way I would rather use my audio interfaces EQ. I just have no idea how to set it. Would the numbers ^ work on it? Thanks for any help.

P.S

I have my speakers in a corner the MR 524 has a setting for corners which I have it on, and I put a bass trap in that corner from ceiling to floor which I think helped a little bit with the bass which I felt was too much. With my setup would the EQ even be useful?
If your audio interface includes onboard PEQ, then you could absolutely apply the filters in that manner. The filters above are anechoic and do not account for room response. My suggestion would be to disable the corner setting (far too broad) and ignore the first filter in the list. If you do not have a measurement microphone, then you can run a sine sweep while paying very close attention to the 50-200Hz frequency band and making note of the points at which the sweep becomes significantly louder. You can then add a -10dB Q 3 filter at the frequencies in question to deal with your room modes.

I would recommend studying the manual for your audio interface, which will explain how to make use of the PEQ function.

Reggiejackson

Thanks

The "BEAST" is a latency-free DSP mixer for the SERAPH and CLARA series offering up to 64 channels with 32 bit resolution each. As per channel, 4 fully parametric EQs are available, modeled after the sound of analog mixing consoles. The channels can be mixed to up to 8 sums, each with 52 Bit dynamics and up to 24 dB of headroom.

Each channel and mix sum may be routed to any output or fed back to a DAW software. Signals can also be duplicated, allowing the BEAST Routing to function as a programmable digital patchbay. Additionally, it is possible to activate the EQ of each channel for each mix sum separately. This allows sound processing to be audible on the main sum while inactive on the pre/post switchable aux sums.
I guess Parametric EQ is PEQ. I never actually used the mixer as it's a bit daunting. I had a hard time just setting the audio interface up, lol, but am Gonna give it a go.

This is how you do it: 1. Choose the desired EQ, and activate it by clicking on one of the icons. Available are: ✓ 1x Low Shelf for processing the lower frequency band ✓ 2x peak for discreet interventions to specific frequencies/frequency ranges mostly in the middle spectrum ✓ 1x High Shelf for processing the upper frequency band 2. With the control next to the display that shows an ’f’, set the desired frequency or bandwidth on which or from where on the equalizer should become active13 . 3. With the control next to the display that shows a ’G’, set the desired boost or cut of that frequency or frequency band14 . 4. With the control next to the display that shows a ’Q’, set the desired slope of the EQ. For a peak EQ, it determines how wide the modified frequency band will be (low values result in a broad band). For a shelf EQ it determines on how many octaves a reduction or increase is to become active (low values result in a large number of octaves - that means, a more gradual manipulation) 5. If the signal is to be made audibly directly on a specific output, you need to activate the ’EQ’ button for this output. If the signal is part of a mix sum (e.g. the master output), the EQ button in the ’master’ section of this channel in the mixer must be activated
Screenshot (5).png
This only has 4 filters would be possible to use the filters from @Maiky76 with this?

Last edited:
OP
Weeb Labs

Weeb Labs

Thanks

I guess Parametric EQ is PEQ. I never actually used the mixer as it's a bit daunting. I had a hard time just setting the audio interface up, lol, but am Gonna give it a go.

This only has 4 filters would be possible to use the filters from @Maiky76 with this?
I'm afraid four PEQ filters per channel will be insufficient. In that case, you would need to make use of PEQ under Windows.

Reggiejackson

^ Thanks I'll just try the app should be a lot easier than using my mixer hopefully there is no latency.

staticV3

Master Contributor
^ Thanks I'll just try the app should be a lot easier than using my mixer hopefully there is no latency.
Equalizer APO actually tells you to processing latency:
1.png
You can reduce the resolution to reduce latency even further still.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Reggiejackson Attached below is Maiky76's PEQ, which you can import into Equalizer APO.

If you're using the stock GUI, then you have to copy the .txt file into C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config.
Then open the Configuration Editor, click on ➕ -> Control -> Include (Include configuration file). Then load the .txt file:
Screenshot 2023-04-26 000155.png

If you use the Peace GUI instead, the .txt file will work there as well.

Also, make sure that in the Sound Control Panel, your Output is set to 96000Hz, which is the sample rate that Maiky designed the PEQ preset for:
Screenshot 2023-04-26 000325.png
If you leave it at the default 44100Hz, then the filter response will be wrong:
MR524 PEQ (Maiky76) at 44,1k and 96k Sample Rate.png

Attachments

• MR524 PEQ (Maiky76).txt
    377 bytes · Views: 38

Reggiejackson

Thanks, I'm already on 96000 so should be ok.

If you do not have a measurement microphone, then you can run a sine sweep while paying very close attention to the 50-200Hz frequency band and making note of the points at which the sweep becomes significantly louder. You can then add a -10dB Q 3 filter at the frequencies in question to deal with your room modes.
How do I run a sine sweep? I googled it, but could not find any info on how to do that?

Top Bottom