• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mackie MR524 | Studio Monitor | Measurements & Subjective Impressions

Larry B. Larabee

Another one that slipped through the cracks. How this speaker lacks interest by the hordes is amazing. Based on what I see here the speaker is the equal of or surpasses all other 2 way bookshelf speakers tested to date. You shouldn't really need anything more expensive or a subwoofer or eq. The premium audio business is finished if more products like this keep popping up.

OP
Weeb Labs

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Updated with clearer line graphing, HF adjustment switch charts and a separate in-room response chart.

OP
Weeb Labs

Weeb Labs

@Weeb Labs

Did you consider doing ground plane measurements instead of nearfield + windowing?

the resolution should be higher.
Yes. I will be updating this spin with a ground plane merge for the reference angle when the weather permits. :)

io53

Very cool, thanks!
Did you try the 'acoustic space' switch? Maybe that could be used to tame the lowend.

christaras

Can you recommend the MR524 for desktop use (music casual) for this price range? the plan is to pair them with a zen dac2 with rca cables. Thank you in advance.

3125b

Major Contributor

christaras

They are quite decent speakers for the price. If you use them with a PC you can easily implement equalization (REW). They have fairly low self-noise as far as cheap monitors go and decent bass extension for the size.
They seem reasonably well built (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...jective-impressions.28890/page-2#post-1027315) and are fixable if something fails.
They are quite decent speakers for the price. If you use them with a PC you can easily implement equalization (REW). They have fairly low self-noise as far as cheap monitors go and decent bass extension for the size.
They seem reasonably well built (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...jective-impressions.28890/page-2#post-1027315) and are fixable if something fails.
If you want a desktop speaker and you care for quality casual music at mormal volume but dont want to lose the limited desktop space, at this price range 300 max for the pair would you choose the Mackie or the iloud micro?

Walter

If you want a desktop speaker and you care for quality casual music at mormal volume but dont want to lose the limited desktop space, at this price range 300 max for the pair would you choose the Mackie or the iloud micro?
The iLoud is a LOT smaller but I've read that it has pretty low max volume and pretty poor customer service and reliability.

christaras

The iLoud is a LOT smaller but I've read that it has pretty low max volume and pretty poor customer service and reliability.
Thank you very much for your help. Do you recommend anything else in this price/size range for desktop usage at 300 budget?

OP
Weeb Labs

Weeb Labs

Walter

The Mackies seem as if they would be quite nice if they will fit on your desk. The JBL 305P are also highly regarded, as are the KRK Rokit 5 G4, but they may be too expensive.

christaras

The Mackies seem as if they would be quite nice if they will fit on your desk. The JBL 305P are also highly regarded, as are the KRK Rokit 5 G4, but they may be too expensive.
Thanks for the help. From these 3 from my research the mackies are better. I havent heard any of them so........

dheepak10

@Weeb Labs - Thanks for including the Treble adjustment charts! Would it be possible for you to include the acoustic space (bass adjustment) as well?

I've plugged the rear port with foam plugs. Have a Presonus sub8 that only pass 80 Hz and above to the MR524. My speakers are on a table at the intersection of 2 walls, on both sides. Ideally with the port plugged I hoped that the acoustic space switch shouldn't make a difference, but the 'A' position makes it too bassy and 'C' is what makes it sound good.

What's your thoughts on the Acoustic space adjustment?

olymind1

Subjective impressions were very positive. The 10KHz bump is readily apparent but easily corrected with a gentle filter and at that point, they sound just as lovely as my T5Vs and LSR 305s.
Could you tell us which do you think is the best among them, or which do you like more than the others, or some pros or cons for each?

Thank you.

OP
Weeb Labs

Weeb Labs

Could you tell us which do you think is the best among them, or which do you like more than the others, or some pros or cons for each?

Thank you.
They all sound very similar once corrected but the LSR 305's wider horizontal directivity does result in a more focused phantom center when listening in stereo. The 305 is quite similar to the BX5 D3 in that respect.

The T5V exhibits the least distortion of the three and is capable of reaching the highest SPLs but it is also the most expensive.

Walter

They all sound very similar once corrected but the LSR 305's wider horizontal directivity does result in a more focused phantom center when listening in stereo. The 305 is quite similar to the BX5 D3 in that respect.

The T5V exhibits the least distortion of the three and is capable of reaching the highest SPLs but it is also the most expensive.
Wrote a really long message, then realized it was too long with lots of info nobody will care about. Short version: I need new speakers for use with my computer for general listening--no music production. Low to moderate volume, near field with listening distance of 36-42 inches. Speakers 4.5-5 feet apart due to multiple monitors. Small, live room with no treatment and none or very little foreseen in the future. Bass is good, but accurate, smooth (no raspiness, "glare," or sibilance) midrange and treble, followed by a wide soundstage and good imaging are all more important to me. Plan to EQ when I can get a measurement mic--hopefully in a few months. In-home or even in-hotel-room auditions are impossible. The best I might manage is to listen in a noisy shop for 2-3 minutes with the speakers on a counter.

I live in Cambodia where almost nothing is available, but I can also buy in Thailand in a couple of months when I go there. Prices on most speakers are very high, so the ones I'm listing are literally the only choices within my budget (about $425). Trust me, I have done a LOT of research over the past year since I was stuck here due to COVID, so you will just be wasting your time to suggest anything else.

Here are my options (prices per pair):

In Cambodia:
Edifier S2000 MKIII: $300
Yamaha HS5: $380 (have not verified they are still in stock)

In Thailand:
M-Audio BX5 D3 $270
Mackie MR524: $420
AudioEngine A5: $420
JBL Stage A120 (the nice two tone ones) + Aiyima A07: $275
JBL Stage A130 (the nice two tone ones) + Aiyima A07: $335
Wharfedale Diamond 12.0 + Aiyima A07: $288
Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 + Aiyima A07: $425
Genelec 8010a: $660

I've regretfully pretty much eliminated the Yamahas from contention after reading both objective and subjective reviews. I can't see a compelling reason to favor the A5 over the MR524 when I value SQ over the additional features, and the JBLs worry me due to the significantly poorer results Erin measured compare to Amir. The Genelecs are included for comparison but definitely out of my budget, especially considering they will almost certainly also require a Presonus Eris Sub8 for an additional $300, which I'd have to figure out how to get here from Thailand. (The LSR310S is $600, so no way.)

The Edifiers are really big for desktop usage, especially depth, and the Wharfedale 12.1 are pushing it. I would not have even known about the Mackie or M-Audio speakers if not for your posts, so thanks very much. The Wharfedale 12.0 + A07 is really intriguing but no measurements available, which also means no EQ settings from @Maiky76.

So if you or anyone else who has heard at least two of these has any opinions or additional info to share, I'd appreciate it. (And yes, that is the short version of my post.)

Last edited:
OP
Weeb Labs

Weeb Labs

Wrote a really long message, then realized it was too long with lots of info nobody will care about. Short version: I need new speakers for use with myc computer for general listening--no music production. Low to moderate volume, near field with listening distance of 36-42 inches. Speakers 4.5-5 feet apart due to multiple monitors. Small, live room with no treatment and none or very little foreseen in the future. Bass is good but accurate, smooth (no raspiness, "glare," or sibilance) midrange and treble, followed by soundstage and imaging are all more important to me. Plan to EQ when I can get a measurement mic--hopefully in a few months. In home or even in-hotel-room auditions are impossible. The best I might manage is to listen in a noisy shop for 2-3 minutes with the speakers on a counter.

I live in Cambodia where almost nothing is available, but I can also buy in Thailand in a couple of months when I go there. Prices on most speakers are very high, so the ones I'm listing are literally the only choices within my budget (about $425). Trust me, I have done a LOT of research over the past year since I was stuck here due to COVID, so you will just be wasting your time to suggest anything else

Here are my options (prices per pair):

In Cambodia:
Edifier S2000 MKIII: $300
Yamaha HS5: $380 (have not verified they are still in stock)

In Thailand:
M-Audio BX5 D3 $270
Mackie MR524: $420
AudioEngine A5: $420
JBL Stage A130 (the nice two tone ones) + Aiyima A07: $335
Wharfedale Diamond 12.0 + Aiyima A07: $288
Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 + Aiyima A07: $425
Genelec 8010a: $660

I've regretfully pretty much eliminated the Yamahas from contention after reading both objective and subjective reviews. I can't see a compelling reason to favor the A5 over the MR524 when I value SQ over the additional features, and the JBLs worry me due to the significantly poorer results Erin measured compare to Amir. The Genelecs are included for comparison but definitely out of my budget, especially considering they will almost certainly also require a Presonus Eris Sub8 for an additional $300, which I'd have to figure out how to get here from Thailand. (The LSR310S is $600, so no way.)

The Edifiers are really big for desktop usage, especially depth, and the Wharfedale 12.1 are pushing it. I would not have even known about the Mackie or M-Audio speakers if not for your posts, so thanks very much. The Wharfedale 12.0 + A07 is really intriguing but no measurements available, which also means no EQ settings from @Maiky76.

So if you or anyone else who has heard at least two of these has any opinions or additional info to share, I'd appreciate it. (And yes, that is the short version of my post.)
Given those prices and your requirements, I believe that you would be best served by the BX5 D3s. Their wide directivity provides the spatial qualities that you seek and in comparison to the MR524s, they exhibit the nicest response out of the box (assuming LF attenuation switch in the -4dB position). They don't deliver quite as much low frequency reach but if you intend to purchase a subwoofer at some point, this is not a problem.

Walter

if you intend to purchase a subwoofer at some point, this is not a problem.
I don't. At least, not with these speakers. I'm looking for something inexpensive but decent sounding to use for maybe 3 years, until I've bought a house. At that point, I'll think about upgrading unless I'm satisfied with what I already have.(That is some of the info I deleted from the even longer post. Hard to know what's most relevant.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom