• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Macbook pro and Apple music through DO200 MKII

boobled

I'll apologize in advance if this has been covered or if I'm missing something completely obvious but......I had posted here before that I thought the output levels from my Mac to my DAC were relatively low and with using the variable volume control I assumed it was the DAC as I was running it straight into my amp. I have since bought a Preamp and have noticed I have to have the volume significantly higher on my preamp when using the MAC>DAC>AMP vs my transport>DAC>Amp or my turntable>PS>Amp. It sounds to me like I'm losing some dynamic range and power (sorry, poor term but its all I can come up with to describe it) to the speakers when using my mac and Apple music. I have checked the MIDI settings and there isn't much to change. Any ideas on what I can be doing wrong......maybe it's just me and I'm just imagining things but my speakers sure come alive when not using the Mac.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Always good to have a multimeter on hand to check the actual output voltage of your DACs and Amps. A cheap one for $15 or so is totally fine.

Takes the guesswork out of the equation.

OP
B

boobled

I'll have to break out my meter.

No sound check, I was hoping it was that easy. Thx for the suggestions

Top Bottom