• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Macbook Pro + Amp or external DAC + AMP

dan.

I have some DCA Aeon 2 Noire's coming and I know they need some power to be driven properly. I will mostly be using them at work with a 2018 Macbook Pro, and at home with a 2021 Macbook Pro.

I understand MBP's have reasonable built in DAC's, so I'm wondering whether I need to go for an external DAC + amp or if I could just get away with an external amp.

I'd love to keep it simple with just a Topping A30 Pro (or similar) being fed straight from the Mac, but I also dont want to a substantial amount of performance on the table.

I have searched a bit for this but almost everyone is asking the question of whether they need a DAC + amp, and not just an amp.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can always start out with the Topping A30 Pro and add a DAC at a later date.
Me, I would have spent a little more for a USB DAC/amp, but that's just me (A PC guy).

OP
D

dan.

That's something I was thinking. I also haven't bought the amp yet. I'm just waiting for the Aeon's to arrive.

Any suggestion on what you might consider for the amp? I was thinking of it for the form factor and I had read that others had success driving the Noire's with it.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's something I was thinking. I also haven't bought the amp yet. I'm just waiting for the Aeon's to arrive.

Any suggestion on what you might consider for the amp? I was thinking of it for the form factor and I had read that others had success driving the Noire's with it.
Budget?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Any suggestion on what you might consider for the amp?
Here are some good Amps between $100-200.
Any one of them will be fine for the Noire.

From the US:
-JDS Atom Amp+ (can be ordered with metal weights inside)
-Schiit Heretic
-Schiit Magni+

From China:
-Topping L30 II
-SMSL SH-8s (order from Drop.com)
-SMSL HO100
-SMSL SH-6
-Sabaj A10h (order from Hifi-express)
-Sabaj A20h (order from Hifi-express)

Edit: to be honest, a Topping DX1 might be all that you need. Advantage is it's USB-powered and very compact. Not as powerful as the dedicated Amps above, but should still be plenty powerful enough. Especially since you don't need to EQ the Noire.

Audiophiles like to exaggerate power required for a given headphone and often speak of impact, slam etc. that you supposedly get with overpowered Amps. I have never experienced it myself and don't buy it tbh.

Last edited:

fishergod

Some objectivists say macbooks onboard dac and amp measure fine. You can start like this and add a dac later.

OP
D

dan.

Here are some good Amps between $100-200.
Any one of them will be fine for the Noire.

From the US:
-JDS Atom Amp+ (can be ordered with metal weights inside)
-Schiit Heretic
-Schiit Magni+

From China:
-Topping L30 II
-SMSL SH-8s (order from Drop.com)
-SMSL HO100
-SMSL SH-6
-Sabaj A10h (order from Hifi-express)
-Sabaj A20h (order from Hifi-express)

Edit: to be honest, a Topping DX1 might be all that you need. Advantage is it's USB-powered and very compact. Not as powerful as the dedicated Amps above, but should still be plenty powerful enough. Especially since you don't need to EQ the Noire.

Audiophiles like to exaggerate power required for a given headphone and often speak of impact, slam etc. that you supposedly get with overpowered Amps. I have never experienced it myself and don't buy it tbh.

A bunch of these look very appealing with their form factor and power. I'll dig into them. Thanks for the list.

I do try to keep a level head and avoid hype with everything. But there seem to be a fair amount of people who say the Noire's take power to drive well. This also kind of makes sense when you read that people state that the Noire's sound flat and boring, other people say they sound great and defintely not flat, and then you have people who mention how much they changed when they added an amp that could drive them. That makes me wonder if some of the negative comments about them just weren't powering them properly. I also understand there is a lot of subjectivity and personal preference, but it's something I've noticed as a whole.

OP
D

dan.

Massdrop (drop) has the Topping DX3+ Pro for $189.

Will check this out. I didn't mention I'm in Australia but there is a local store who stock Topping. I figured it's easier to reference usd pricing around here. Thanks!

Hatto

If your primary source is going to be USB, I would recommend a Qudelix 5K. Don't let the size fool you. It'll drive Aeon2 Noires FULLY up to 110dB SPL peak, it has a great DAC and even better EQ. Can also be used as a BT dongle if needed.

OP
D

dan.

Concerning your inquiry about whether you require an external DAC as well as an external amp, the answer is subjective and based on your specific requirements and preferences.

Firstly, it's essential to note that your 2018 and 2021 MacBook Pros are equipped with built-in DACs capable of delivering adequate performance. However, suppose you consider yourself an audiophile and wish to achieve the best sound quality obtainable. In that case, an external DAC may be a worthwhile consideration.

An external DAC can provide superior sound quality by separating the audio signal from the noisy electrical environment inside your computer, resulting in a more pristine audio output. Moreover, specific external DACs offer higher quality audio components and more excellent signal processing algorithms than those built inside your MacBook Pro.

That said, suppose your primary concern is driving your headphones sufficiently, in that case, an external headphone amp like the Topping A30 Pro could be an excellent alternative. The Topping A30 Pro is renowned for its powerful and pure output, making it an excellent match for power-hungry headphones such as the DCA Aeon 2 Noire.

In the case that you choose to use only an external amp, please remember that you may not obtain the best possible sound quality from your headphones. However, you may not notice any significant variations in sound quality between using only an external amp and using an external DAC + amp, justifying the additional cost and complexity.

This is the sort of response I was looking for. Still weighing up options for an amp, but it solves my thought about having a DAC.

paudio

You might not need anything. Might sound good enough out of the MBP. Definitely do A/B if you do get something cause if you can't hear a difference it's more practical with less equipment imo. I use my Apple USB-C dongle mostly but my MBP14 I plug straight into. I couldn't hear a difference between those and my much more powerful dacs and amps with the Noire

MLaranjeiras

I have a Topping E50 and a Hiby FC4 connected to a Mac Mini with Audirvana as streamer. Also, the set has an Oppo BDP USB DAC and a Pioneer VSX LX 503 as Mac Mini/Audirvana UpnP streamer. For me, it is tramatic to find any sound diference between them all, always playing on a Vintage Sansui AU - X911DG connected by Wireworld interconnect cables. So, I decided to use more the Mac Mini simply because it has a physical connection between the DAC and the Sansui.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-07-06 at 15.10.54.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-06 at 15.10.54.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 54
Top Bottom