• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MacBook+External DAC connection

Pepper81

Hi Guys,I am seriously thinking of using an old model of MacBook as a digital source to play music.
My goal is To Connect a Macbook Pro to an external DAC who has: USB A/B-Spdif-Coax
Does the Macbook pro have digital outputs?
Thanks

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Guys,I am seriously thinking of using an old model of MacBook as a digital source to play music.
My goal is To Connect a Macbook Pro to an external DAC who has: USB A/B-Spdif-Coax
Does the Macbook pro have digital outputs?
Thanks
Unfortunately the mac does not have a digital out. It's USB out across the board for all Macs.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Some old models have an optical connection via the 3.5mm headphone port. Here is a list.

I would just use a USB DAC, much simpler and generally well supported.

oozlum

What model of MacBook Pro are you thinking about?

I still have early 2008 15-inch MacBook Pro with optical digital audio in/out (3.5 mm analog/optical combo jack). I’ve been using FireWire 400 connected to Apogee Duet (saves 2 more usb slots). Oh, and updated internal disk to ssd, new graphic card and ram. Sufficient digital source for me.

#saveappledollars

caught gesture

Forum Donor
I use a 2011 MacBook Pro as my source. I have been for ten years. I use the digital out (doubles as the headphone socket on older model macs). With an optical cable, I go to the optical input of my North Star Design 192 MKII DAC. The only limitation of the digital out on the MacBook is 96kHz is the maximum. It still plays the few 192kHz files I have. This set-up has been trouble-free for over a decade. I use an external ssd drive that holds my music collection. I run an older version of Audirvāna (not the new studio version). Years ago I might have been persuaded that I needed to upgrade to the latest and greatest hardware. Not anymore after some good old fashioned blind testing! Room acoustics are far more important I came to realise after creating a dedicated listening room.

Last edited:
Top Bottom