• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mac to DAC - Need Help

AudioDude

Hello there,

Super frustrated state. Cant find issue, so I figured I would reach out to smarter folks ;-)

headphone setup:
Topping D90 (or Shiit Hel) > Headphone amp etc etc

I have a MBPro (2017) running 10.15.7. Have an 2 external DACs that are exhibing the same problem (Topping D90 & Shiit Hel). Here is the scoop. I cant get the MAC to output over USB-C to the DAC as the "audio device". I get music.... when I plug in the DAC, Tidel (yes-I probably need to evaluate this too) asks "Device Detected: DisplayPort, Do you want to use this devide as sound output". I say yes (if I say "no" the MAC doesnt see the DAC at all). So I select "yes" and poof the next thing you know it shoves the setting in Audio MIDI over to DistplayPort. Its like it thinks my DAC is my monitor (LG TV SCCR). The crazy thing is I can hear music through my headphones. Now if I stop the music, I can select the D90 in the Audio MIDI. However, once I hit play... poof... it shoves the setting over the the TV. Its like the MAC has "cached" what has been plugged in certain ports. Whats weird is last week it would (instead of selecting my TV/Display Port), it would characterize it as: USB Audio CODEC. So I can see the Topping D90 in Audio MIDI output, and can see that I can select up to 32Bit/768... however, "cant output to it". Ive tried difference cables. The answer is probably obvious... thanks for any guidance.

OP
A

AudioDude

Removed TIDAL. Straight Youtube and I get the right output. Re install TIDAL, same problem re occurs... so hmm

Top Bottom