• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mac / PC as multichannel endpoint or DSP from multiple audio inputs?

jeffme

Forum Donor
Hi - apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it / didn't know how to phrase a search to find it.

Is there any straightforward way (not necessarily easy) to {a} use a single Mac/PC as multiple streaming endpoints (e.g. packing 4-8 Wiims into a Mac Mini) or to {b} use a single Mac/PC to handle DSP for multiple (say 16 or more) audio input channels (e.g. connecting 8 Wiims/Sonos Ports) to a single Mac/PC?

I'm trying to DIY design a high-quality multi-room streaming system that will include at least 1 non-AVR room with multiple speakers (4-6 architectural w/1-2 subs). The flow I have in mind is something like:

- Internet/local file streaming <ETHernet> Mac Mini for {a} streaming endpoints + DSP <USB> DAC <well-known audio connections> Multichannel Amp <w.k.a.c.> Speakers / Speaker Array
OR
- Internet/local file streaming <EHT> N streaming devices (e.g. Wiim Pro < {b} OPTICAL TO WHAT?!?!?> Mac Mini for DSP .... same as above

Thanks in advance for your help / patience!

mppix

Mac supports natively AVB. You can use motu/presonus hardware (and you likely need a dedicated switvh).
This is studio grade stuff that works very well (guaranteed performance) once set up

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I'm not sure if I get your question correctly but you want to look at "roon" and Raspberry pi's as endpoints or Wim Minis etc

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
CamilaDSP should be up to the task.

Top Bottom