• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mac Mini 2018

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
New Mac Mini just released:

https://www.apple.com/mac-mini/

Noise level: 4 dB.

Is this the new killer product for those who want a one-stop-shop music computer running either Mac OS or Windows?

Any thoughts?

For example on best configuration for those who want a music or home theater hub?

2irocfm2gdqWT9rdKTYsTK.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65

There's still a fan inside, hard to believe 4dB under some load.

"Packing this much power into the same enclosure required an all-new thermal architecture — including all-flash storage, a bigger fan, expanded vents, and a redesigned power supply. "

OP
svart-hvitt

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor

"Packing this much power into the same enclosure required an all-new thermal architecture — including all-flash storage, a bigger fan, expanded vents, and a redesigned power supply. "

Yes, I wonder about the noise level when fan is running!

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Unless that fan never goes above an extremely low rpm I don't see how that noise level is possible, it would have to be doing little more than gently assisting the normal convection currents.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It says: "Sound pressure level (operator position): 4 dBA at idle. "

So definitely not under load. Then again, playing music doesn't use up much CPU so that is the likely scenario (unless you use lots of DSP).

OP
svart-hvitt

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
It says: "Sound pressure level (operator position): 4 dBA at idle. "

So definitely not under load. Then again, playing music doesn't use up much CPU so that is the likely scenario (unless you use lots of DSP).

One still needs measurements of noise during different scenarios. So noise is a risk for the early adopter.

duo8

If you're just gonna play music on it, it's probably more cost efficient to buy a cheap fanless NUC. Also guaranteed noise-free.

beeface

I don't doubt that this thing is quiet, but "Acoustics measured from typical operator position sitting in front of standard Mac mini system. Acoustics may vary by configuration." is nonetheless an annoyingly vague way to describe the test conditions.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only time I've ever heard an unexpected peep from our 2014 Mac Mini is after burning a CD. The external drive fires up at odd times when it's connected but not in use. The fan has never made itself known. The computer is about 4' from the listening position, albeit behind a wood door.

OP
svart-hvitt

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
FWIW,

it would have been great though if Apple made public noise data like they did for the Mac Pro of 2013:

156168C9-A8AE-46A9-A63E-1AD6B40F080D.jpeg

cjfrbw

My favorite Mac, so I am glad they updated it. I was under the impression that they only produced some legacy models from 2014.

OP
svart-hvitt

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
My favorite Mac, so I am glad they updated it. I was under the impression that they only produced some legacy models from 2014.

The new maxed out Mac Mini seems to be a serious machine for many a work scenario, and connectivity is OK.

We’ll have to wait and see what heat and fan issues there are, though.

duo8

The new maxed out Mac Mini seems to be a serious machine for many a work scenario, and connectivity is OK.

We’ll have to wait and see what heat and fan issues there are, though.
It's not 10mm thin and has space for actual air intake so probably not nearly as bad as macbooks.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Would be nice for running Roon.

I ran Roon on the previous model for years (before moving to a Retina iMac). I never heard the fan, and it had much less power than the new Mac Mini.

Granted, I had it hotrodded with 16 GB of RAM and SSD, but the new one comes with SSD by default and can take up to 64 GB.

AND IT HAS A HEADPHONE JACK!

Unlike some other Apple products...

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The only time I've ever heard an unexpected peep from our 2014 Mac Mini is after burning a CD. The external drive fires up at odd times when it's connected but not in use. The fan has never made itself known. The computer is about 4' from the listening position, albeit behind a wood door.

I had one right in front of me on a desk and pretty much never heard it, either.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Well I’m going to get one so I can stream music and finally look into taking some better in room measurements and add a bit of judicious EQ or maybe even go full room correction if need be.

Looks cute and can sit on my CDP.

OP
svart-hvitt

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Well I’m going to get one so I can stream music and finally look into taking some better in room measurements and add a bit of judicious EQ or maybe even go full room correction if need be.

Looks cute and can sit on my CDP.

We should have one for @amirm to measure. It’s got both headphone and (probably) digital optical out.

:)

Top Bottom