• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mac mini (2014) > Matrix Audio Sabre Pro MQA

blodsbror

I'm looking for a reasonable source/streamer for my Matrix DAC (Roon, Airplay, Spotify Connect) , that will be arriving shortly. One consideration is an Allo USB Bridge (with regular power supply). However I also have a Mac mini laying around. Would one be much better than the other, (noise/jitter etc) when using USB to the DAC ? Or is that simply taken care of and reduced by the DAC itself ?. Sound quality is subjective, however if one would obviously sound better to most people, then that would be interesting to know. Or if there are any other good/reasonably prices USB streamers, just let me know!

Also, is MQA/DSD only supported via a USB Interface in general ? I'm guessing due to the bandwidth requirements, that's a yes - but I can never get a clear answer on that.

Thanks!

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I'm looking for a reasonable source/streamer for my Matrix DAC (Roon, Airplay, Spotify Connect) , that will be arriving shortly. One consideration is an Allo USB Bridge (with regular power supply). However I also have a Mac mini laying around. Would one be much better than the other, (noise/jitter etc) when using USB to the DAC ? Or is that simply taken care and reduced by the DAC itself ?. Sound quality is subjective, however if one would obviously sound better to most people, then that would be interesting to know. Or if there are any other good/reasonably prices USB streamers, just let me know!

Also, is MQA/DSD only supported via a USB Interface in general ? I'm guessing due to the bandwidth requirements, that's a yes - but I can never get a clear answer on that.

Thanks!

Nvidia Shield is often overlooked. I use it and recommend it.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Can it be used as a Roon endpoint ? In addition to Spotify Connect and Airplay ?.

Roon endpoint, yes.
Spotify connect, yes.
Airplay, I believe there are simple workarounds with a brief search, but no experience with that myself.
It also is natively chromecast compatible obviously.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm looking for a reasonable source/streamer for my Matrix DAC (Roon, Airplay, Spotify Connect) , that will be arriving shortly. One consideration is an Allo USB Bridge (with regular power supply). However I also have a Mac mini laying around. Would one be much better than the other, (noise/jitter etc) when using USB to the DAC ? Or is that simply taken care of and reduced by the DAC itself ?.
It is. That is how I tested (over USB) and it provided those superb measurements. Just the Mac Mini.

FooYatChong

DSD over S/PDIF is becoming more common (limited to DSD64). The Matrix accepts DSD on all it's imputs (DSD512 for USB and DSD1024 for I2S, DSD64 on S/PDIF optical and coaxial, and AES). MQA is a USB thing as far as I know.

Top Bottom