• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mac instead of minidsp?

Harris48

The minidsp I got a had screw loose and quit working the second day I got it. Dealing with the vendor right now. Hopefully they dont make it difficult to exchange since they sent me an out of the defective unit…we will see.

Anyways it got me thinking if they are going to jerk me around for weeks and want to “fix” it. I was thinking would my Mac mini do the same thing. It’s the intel i7, 32gb ram, egpu 8gb so a beast of a machine that’s is already in my electronics closet by my AVR. Do I even need a mini dsp??

I have 2 subs and a Denon 3700 so 2 sub outs.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know about most of the stuff at these webpages as I am just the compiler of the information but maybe there is something here.

oldtexasdog

The Mini-dsp is outstanding for integrating subs into a system. I went from that to a DriveRack PA2 however and never looked back.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Yes, your Mac Mini can replace your MiniDSP. You will need the following hardware / software:

- Microphone, either USB or Phantom Power variety (if you choose Phantom Power, you will need a sound card) + cables and microphone stand (optional)
- DAC with enough channels for your requirements
- Software for measurement and producing sine wave sweeps
- Software for generating crossovers

As with all things audio, things can be as inexpensive or as costly as you like.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
wait for the minidsp. It is designed for one thing and it does that thing very well.

OP
H

Harris48

Thanks all.

@Keith_W do I need a DAC if my AVR has enough sub channels or is making both subs run off one sub out key

I have REW and a umik2

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Thanks all.

@Keith_W do I need a DAC if my AVR has enough sub channels or is making both subs run off one sub out key

I have REW and a umik2

I don't know. AVR's usually apply their own DSP and might not function as a straight out multichannel DAC / preamp. I don't like AVR's for precisely this reason - they have this philosophy that the manufacturer knows best, they will "make your life easy", and end up overcomplicating things in such a way that you have no idea what it is doing to your sound with no easy way to make it behave the way you want it to. Kind of the same reason why I avoid any manufacturer that thinks that they know better than you ... like Apple or Roon.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
The minidsp I got a had screw loose and quit working the second day I got it. Dealing with the vendor right now. Hopefully they dont make it difficult to exchange since they sent me an out of the defective unit…we will see.

Anyways it got me thinking if they are going to jerk me around for weeks and want to “fix” it. I was thinking would my Mac mini do the same thing. It’s the intel i7, 32gb ram, egpu 8gb so a beast of a machine that’s is already in my electronics closet by my AVR. Do I even need a mini dsp??

I have 2 subs and a Denon 3700 so 2 sub outs.
Why not just use your Denon? Then there is no need for a separate DAC and built in Audyssey is good for most cases and as you have REW/UMIK you can still confirm what Audyssey does and tweak it manually if necessary at all with either the 20USD app or the 200USD Software.

OP
H

Harris48

@HarmonicTHD I’m all for it! So would I be able to test delay, invert, and load modified curves. My bad if these are dumb questions. Trying to figure this all out.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
@HarmonicTHD I’m all for it! So would I be able to test delay, invert, and load modified curves. My bad if these are dumb questions. Trying to figure this all out.
Yes. The 200USD SW also lets you save versions of your curves and data on the PC and import filters from REW if you want that (I don’t use it though). Best have a peek into the manual. The 20USD iOS app is a bit tedious when it comes to curve editing. The delay you dial in via the distance. Both are not as powerful for Multi Subs but with REW you can do it although it is a bit tedious and requires some knowledge.

Top Bottom