• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mac bit rate settings?

turbotuff

Forum Donor
I just received my Soncoz LA-QXD1 and I'm having trouble with the bit rate on my Mac. I have it set to 32 bit/768 in my midi setup, although Amazon HD shows device capability as 24bit/768. Additionally, I am unable to get sound via Google Chrome when the bitrate is set this way. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have had issues with my MacBook Pro in a couple of different set ups, but I haven’t had the time to dig in and investigate yet. One of them might be Amazon Music HD related. I’ve just got the output set to 16/44.1 for now because it seems to work correctly and most of what I listen to on Amazon is streaming at that rate anyway.

JIW

I just received my Soncoz LA-QXD1 and I'm having trouble with the bit rate on my Mac. I have it set to 32 bit/768 in my midi setup, although Amazon HD shows device capability as 24bit/768. Additionally, I am unable to get sound via Google Chrome when the bitrate is set this way. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I have an early 2015 retina MacBook Pro running macOS 10.15.5.

I also don't get sound from Chrome at 768 kHz. In Firefox, I do get sound but it's quite distorted.

Anyways, there is no reason for you to set the sample rate to the DAC's maximum. Since all the components above half the original sample rate need to be filtered out for accurate playback, all you end up doing is using the oversampling algorithm of macOS's Core Audio rather than that of the DAC. Thus, it is likely best to set the sample rate of the DAC to the original sample rate of what you want to listen to.

Regarding the number of bits, Audio Devices tends to only show the maximum number of bits for USB devices. If the DAC's sample rate is that of the audio file and the volume is set to full, it will not add or subtract anything, i.e. the least significant bits are all zero.

OP
turbotuff

turbotuff

Forum Donor
I have an early 2015 retina MacBook Pro running macOS 10.15.5.

I also don't get sound from Chrome at 768 kHz. In Firefox, I do get sound but it's quite distorted.

Anyways, there is no reason for you to set the sample rate to the DAC's maximum. Since all the components above half the original sample rate need to be filtered out for accurate playback, all you end up doing is using the oversampling algorithm of macOS's Core Audio rather than that of the DAC. Thus, it is likely best to set the sample rate of the DAC to the original sample rate of what you want to listen to.

Regarding the number of bits, Audio Devices tends to only show the maximum number of bits for USB devices. If the DAC's sample rate is that of the audio file and the volume is set to full, it will not add or subtract anything, i.e. the least significant bits are all zero.
Gotcha. So what would you recommend setting it to in the Midi setup, 24/192? I also have a 2015 MBP.

JIW

Gotcha. So what would you recommend setting it to in the Midi setup, 24/192? I also have a 2015 MBP.

Set the sample rate to that of the file/stream and keep the number of bits at least as high as that of the file/stream.

Top Bottom