• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MA12070 vs TPA3255 (Scientific Measurements Aside)

AudioArchitech

Cool, any chance you could pass on a link to a full Diy build or recommend some of the parts, case.. to build a 200AS2 ? or just stick with the Ghent case the best value?

Amplifier dude

Cool, any chance you could pass on a link to a full Diy build or recommend some of the parts, case.. to build a 200AS2 ?
You can check out Ghent Audio for cases. If you order the sample, I believe it comes with the cable set to get it running in 2 minutes with a soldering iron. They run so cool you can just sit the module on a piece of aluminum or glass and its fine for testing.

Amplifier dude

funny, just edited about Ghent. Great thanks for tip, going to build one
Let us know what you think. I have 40 200as1 modules here if they run out of stock. Bought them for a project that hasn't materialized yet. They're the way to go for a dual mono build. The power supply is only 300w on both amps, so you won't get the full rated power with both channels driven from the 2 channel 200AS2.

Last edited:

AudioArchitech

Going to get a PecanPi with Volume control to hook up to this. Now thinking I should just find a case that I could mount the Pecan Pi board and Volume Control with the Ice module.

Last edited:

AudioArchitech

Stunning and brave.

Actually, my bad, noise is there regardless of power bar or straight in the wall. I think my A08 is faulty. I'm going to return/warranty it. It sounds like it's possible that a couple of others have had this issue with A08. So far, haven't heard/seen complaints with A07. May need to try that instead.

Any consensus on the best psu to get with A07 Aiyima sells a 48V 7.5 amp. I mainly want this for my shop speakers 100w 8 ohm 89 sensitivity. But it would be great if I liked it enough to replace my Audiolab 6000A amp powering 120w 4 ohm 89db speakers. Maybe get 2x A07's with different power supplies in the end?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Actually, my bad, noise is there regardless of power bar or straight in the wall. I think my A08 is faulty. I'm going to return/warranty it. It sounds like it's possible that a couple of others have had this issue with A08. So far, haven't heard/seen complaints with A07. May need to try that instead.

Any consensus on the best psu to get with A07 Aiyima sells a 48V 7.5 amp. I mainly want this for my shop speakers 100w 8 ohm 89 sensitivity. But it would be great if I liked it enough to replace my Audiolab 6000A amp powering 120w 4 ohm 89db speakers. Maybe get 2x A07's with different power supplies in the end?
For shop speakers, go self-powered. I have Vanatoo T1E for that, lets me stream Amazon HD from my phone via Bluetooth, and they sound great.

AudioArchitech

I already own a few pair of speakers for shop, outdoor... Just want a decent amp to power them.

Bluetooth Amazon HD? May as well just do Spotify. Reminds me, I should try Amazon HD, 850 kbps must be alright. Really been hoping for Spotify HiFi to finally come out, Tidal doesn't have some stuff I'm into. Maybe Amazon HD will have some.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I already own a few pair of speakers for shop, outdoor... Just want a decent amp to power them.

Bluetooth Amazon HD? May as well just do Spotify. Reminds me, I should try Amazon HD, 850 kbps must be alright
It works for Spotify, too, if that's your preference and you have a phone made in the past decade. I use an iPhone for this and get lossless CD and better.

Something like the T1E won't cost much more than a cheap amp and will outperform most cheap speaker/amp combos. Probably not an outdoor choice, though.

AudioArchitech

Really, I should have just kept my Denon PMA-800NE. Thought it was a bit overkill for the shop but looking back, it was perfect.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Something like the T1E won't cost much more than a cheap amp and will outperform most cheap speaker/amp combos
US $600 vs US $75 seems like a pretty big difference to me!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
This is a thread about MA12070 and TPA3255 chip amps, so why even post in it if that is how you feel?
Offering a solution to a problem. If you think that's out of line, feel free to report me.

AudioArchitech

Not the worst idea, could just sell those speakers and get something like those T1E. I checked them out, they seem good. I wonder which amp boards are in there? Maybe some 100AS2? But I still need an amp for some outdoor speakers.

Walter

Offering a solution to a problem. If you think that's out of line, feel free to report me.
Not out of line in that sense, but very condescending and a bit insulting considering that many people reading such threads are most likely students or otherwise people with lower incomes who cannot afford more expensive gear. Maybe living in developing nations for the last two decades has made me particularly sensitive to that, as I have seen people take great pride in things I would almost consider disposable. And it was an honest question. I realize that you are quite knowledgeable--certainly more so than I am. I've read many very informative posts that you have written. If you consider such amps to be just toys, why bother to post in a thread about them, especially if just to tell people to buy something else? I don't get the point of that.

Last edited:

Walter

Not the worst idea, could just sell those speakers and get something like those T1E. I checked them out, they seem good. I wonder which amp boards are in there? Maybe some 100AS2? But I still need an amp for some outdoor speakers.
It does look really good--it was at the top of my list for a desktop solution until I found this site. Archimago gave it high marks. However, Amir stated maybe 6 months ago that he had one for testing, and yet no test ever came. That does not bode well, given the fact that he gives manufacturers the option not to publish bad reviews if they submitted the equipment--and I can't picture him holding onto a speaker for months if it was submitted by a member.

Edit: Well, he just published a review of a DAC that he has had for so long it is out of production due to the AKM fire, so maybe the T1E is not a lost cause, after all.

Last edited:

AudioArchitech

Let us know what you think. I have 40 200as1 modules here if they run out of stock. Bought them for a project that hasn't materialized yet. They're the way to go for a dual mono build. The power supply is only 300w on both amps, so you won't get the full rated power with both channels driven from the 2 channel 200AS2.

Just tried to send you a DM but said: "This user's profile is not available."

Top Bottom