• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MA12070 vs TPA3255 (Scientific Measurements Aside)

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Controls to switch between A08 and Audiolab 6000A? Set volume levels on both amps using a pro SPL meter. Play some music, pause, power down and swap amps (banana plugs) Restart the same music. It's pretty obvious, don't need a switcher...

I will add that with vocals, the A08 is pretty good, has a good "live" feeling sound to it. I'm surprised how close it is to the Audiolab 6000A, Audiolab still wins but the A08 is not far behind.
I have an A08 too and agree it is a pretty impressive amp and considering this board design is really in some degree of infancy things could get even better. The Bluetooth on the A08 is very impressive. I am running my HP Elitedesk via bluetooth and using Itunes with the A08 through a pair of Mission 751s and the sound is crystal clear.

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
AYIMA released a newer model called the A08. It's basically an A07 with a 36V 9.5A power supply built in, no need to purchase a Meanwell psu... I have one, it's fairly good. I thought about swapping OP amps but the DIY TPA3255 community convinced me that it makes no difference in this amp design so I left it stock. I primarily use it in system 2 setup but have I used it on my main setup as well to compare and test... Switching between my Audiolab 6000A and the A08 there are some differences in sound, overall tonality, bass.... The A08 is pretty good, but when listening to higher quality, Tidal...the Audiolab is definitely better. If listening to Spotify, I almost prefer the A08 in some ways, the (lower resolution) highs are more pleasant. but mid bass sounds a bit more "digital?" When using Audiolab and Spotify, I actually tweak EQ using Equalizer APO and roll of the highs a bit. All this through a E30 DAC. It would be interesting to try a different dac with the A08 and compare against the 6000A/E30 combo. Something like a D30 Pro, D70s, DO200 or maybe a Schiit...
I use an E30 with the A08, QED XT25i speaker cable with ABS Airloc , Mission 751 speakers/ Tannoy Eclipse 3 and what can I say, full of detail and dynamism, a full, open and lively sound. Very happy with the result.

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I already tried MA12070 (KGUSS D70) and I must say that the "HD"ness is up a notch compared to TPA325X chips. It just sounds slightly more "HD" to me, specially the highs.
Though definitely not a perfect amp yet, the lower midrange and midbass is lacking, and the instruments doesn't sound as real compared to TPA325X. It is also too soft sounding when paired with a power hungry speaker. There's missing meaty or fatty sound into it. On small speakers and nearfield listening, the combination with MA12070 is good but it will be fatiguing in long listening hours due to lack of midbass, maybe a subwoofer is just what I need.

For the highs I think MA12070 is definitely superior to TPA325X, so to get the best of both worlds, the MA12070 is perfect for 1.2kHz or maybe 3kHz or higher for biamping. Then get the TPA325X chips for the bass and midrange.

The TPA325X has a "zing", snappy, and punchy sound into it which makes the instruments come alive. The smoothness of lower midrange and midbass are just superb, analouge-y and can't be matched by MA12070. It will be a perfect amp if the highs are upgraded.

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor

TPA3255

index.php

MA12070

index.php

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
My experience with tpa 3251 and 3255 is that they are sensitive , as all single power supply units , to railpumping .
Multiplying the power capacitors from , maybe the standard 470 -1000 uF to 6000-10000 uF make big differences in the dynamic of the sound . This is an easy mod. to do with low ESR Panasonic capacitors. Some switch mode power supply made for computers can be sensitive to lots of capacitance, so pay attention.

This is also an issue with the older tpa 3118 and 3116 , and Im sure also ma12070.

An older tpa 3116 with 6000 uF can sound better than a tpa 3255 with 470 uF driving two real loudspeakers in stereo, used with the same 24 volt 6 A power supply .

A good implementation of all those chips are able to sound very good .
Below a mod. of one of my tpa3116 amplifiers - the right one has a more dynamic sound than my Aiyima a04.

Attachments

• D101AFF3-AB91-4F7B-9D92-BB3140986C97.jpeg
    D101AFF3-AB91-4F7B-9D92-BB3140986C97.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 245
  • D070AE26-DE8E-43DE-BD32-167B09028811.jpeg
    D070AE26-DE8E-43DE-BD32-167B09028811.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I already tried MA12070 (KGUSS D70) and I must say that the "HD"ness is up a notch compared to TPA325X chips. It just sounds slightly more "HD" to me, specially the highs.
Though definitely not a perfect amp yet, the lower midrange and midbass is lacking, and the instruments doesn't sound as real compared to TPA325X. It is also too soft sounding when paired with a power hungry speaker. There's missing meaty or fatty sound into it.

Wow...

Anything at all other than prose to show and tell?

The smoothness of lower midrange and midbass are just superb, analouge-y

Uh huh...

Come on...let's leave this where it belongs please.

Solveit

So as an Moderator you just killed this thread and called it at day...
I agree with jlesterp that the highs are better in MA12070 than TPA3255.
It's not subjective it's there.
Even if this is an place with "measurements say it's all" you should respect people!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
So as an Moderator you just killed this thread and called it at day...
I agree with jlesterp that the highs are better in MA12070 than TPA3255.
Even if this is an place with "measurements say it's all" you should respect people!
Measurements are fine, but listening tests with basic controls are what you need for an assertion like that.

TriN

For the highs I think MA12070 is definitely superior to TPA325X, so to get the best of both worlds, the MA12070 is perfect for 1.2kHz or maybe 3kHz or higher for biamping. Then get the TPA325X chips for the bass and midrange.
I'm currently using it, one full MA12070 per compression driver ( https://www.eighteensound.it/en/products/hf-driver/1-0/8/NSD1095N ) used in Troel's "loudspeaker"s.
It is set at 1.6khz, that tiny amp sounds great right next to a quad Purifi amp.
I'm not asking too much of it, 1 or 2 watts so that's a perfect fit.

I was about to order the TPA for testing, your comment really helped me not to :)

Larudakote

You should respect people bringing objective test results. First of all: ABX test.
"It's not subjective it's there" is exactly what I ear or what I read for forty years... business industry thank you, but users?

For the highs I think MA12070 is definitely superior to TPA325X
I want to believe it. But tell us about your test condition.

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I want to believe it. But tell us about your test condition.
I was just sharing my "generalized" listening impressions since I've heard many implementations of both chip. I know of course, depending on the implementation, TPA3255 will sound better than MA12070 and vice-versa. No scientific test condition since it's just a casual listening. Since this is a science based forum, I should have restrained myself on giving audio asylum-esque opinions. Thanks

gnat_leader

Since this is a science based forum, I should have restrained myself on giving audio asylum-esque opinions.

I don't understand why people can't take both science/tests and opinions into consideration? Sorry, I'm new here but I can imagine this subject has been argued about for many years here ;-)
I get that opinions and hearing is subjective, but last time I checked statistics is also a scientific discipline and so a collection of opinions can be meaningful.
I personally take both types of data into account. I don't base my conclusion 100% on just measurements, nor just opinions.

gnat_leader

Though definitely not a perfect amp yet, the lower midrange and midbass is lacking, and the instruments doesn't sound as real compared to TPA325X. It is also too soft sounding when paired with a power hungry speaker. There's missing meaty or fatty sound into it. On small speakers and nearfield listening, the combination with MA12070 is good but it will be fatiguing in long listening hours due to lack of midbass, maybe a subwoofer is just what I need.

The TPA325X has a "zing", snappy, and punchy sound into it which makes the instruments come alive. The smoothness of lower midrange and midbass are just superb, analouge-y and can't be matched by MA12070. It will be a perfect amp if the highs are upgraded.

I find this opinion helpful (esp if confirmed by other people) because it gives an idea of what speakers would likely mate better with it.
Eg, with dual-cone full-range (or multi-way) speakers; the lighter/faster 8" ones with more upper-mids and treble response might mesh better with the TPA while the bigger/heavier/slower 15" ones with more lower-mids/upper bass response and less treble could mate better with the MA.

and yes, I do get that the make and type/design of the amp IC/chip is just one part of how the amp will sound.

gnat_leader

The TPA325X has a "zing", snappy, and punchy sound into it which makes the instruments come alive.

That "zing" in your opinion, if you mean as apposed to a "relaxed" presentation, does it or can it lead to listener fatigue over extended listening time?

syn08

I get that opinions and hearing is subjective, but last time I checked statistics is also a scientific discipline and so a collection of opinions can be meaningful.

Yes it is. Statistics is also teaching us about the size of a collection, to be considered meaningful, in a certain, well defined, context.

Why do I have the feeling this forum is under attack?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand why people can't take both science/tests and opinions into consideration? Sorry, I'm new here but I can imagine this subject has been argued about for many years here ;-)
I personally take both types of data into account. I don't base my conclusion 100% on just measurements, nor just opinions.
Listening tests can be absolutely meaningful, if they are performed correctly. A good place to start learning about listening test is:

And this:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I get that opinions and hearing is subjective, but last time I checked statistics is also a scientific discipline and so a collection of opinions can be meaningful

Useful statistics aren't typically based on anecdote.

A collection of opinions about the power of prayer is about as helpful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom