• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MA Remote (app) to Element X

D

Deleted member 20875

So overnight it got updated to 2.2.0 and is no longer usable; Element X disconnects as soon as I start MA Remote new.
Does anyone else have similar problem with it?

Version 2.1.5 still appears to be Ok. Version 2.1.6 has somewhat broken interface on it, but works. Version 2.0.0 simply does not work, which in turn renders any connected to Element X device as unusable. The unit can not be accessed.

When playing from the attached storage and if there was no MA Remote app, how else can Matrix Audio Element (x) be accessed?

Last edited by a moderator:

Archsam

Turn on the MA app this morning and it was updated overnight. After I reconnect the Element X on WIFI the app started the firmware update. I got to 44% of the download and the installation freezes. I restart the process 3x now without success, always freezes at 44%.

Will report back if I get it to work.

OP
D

Deleted member 20875

Turn on the MA app this morning and it was updated overnight. After I reconnect the Element X on WIFI the app started the firmware update. I got to 44% of the download and the installation freezes. I restart the process 3x now without success, always freezes at 44%.

Will report back if I get it to work.

I thought to update MA Element X (can not comment about the others) it needs to be connected to PC, not? As described here,
https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/news/20200110449.html

If they did indeed update the firmware then it is the good news. The thing is how to install it now.

I downgraded MA Remote from 2.2.0 to 2.1.5 and it works Ok now.

Archsam

I did all that (software install via the PC), but when I open up the MA Remote the same firmware message appears, and the same crash occurs. I can't cancel it (there is no option) so I am now unable to play music via the network.

OP
D

Deleted member 20875

I did all that (software install via the PC), but when I open up the MA Remote the same firmware message appears, and the same crash occurs. I can't cancel it (there is no option) so I am now unable to play music via the network.

Did you try to downgrade the MA Remote?

Archsam

Did you try to downgrade the MA Remote?

No, how do I do that? I don't have the installer for the previous version?

Archsam

OP
D

Deleted member 20875

Thank you very much for that link, reinstalled 2.1.5 and all is fine again. It looks like the 2.2.0 app is the cause of the problem.

It will quietly update to the latest version again, which in turn will be prompting to upgrade your device. Uninistall it and install 2.1.5 again. Better yet remove it completely. The upgrade is not worth it.

OP
D

Deleted member 20875

Hi both.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
For the freeze-at-44% issue, that's a bug of v2.2.0 app. You can use the latest version 2.2.3 app.
The new app also fixed the unexpected device offline issue.
Update the app in Google Play Store, or download the apk by the following link.
https://www.matrix-digi.com/app/MA_Remote_2.2.3.apk

Just tried it, very slow. It takes roughly half a minute till it shows grayed out titles, and then another 15 seconds for those to be scroll-able.

Another peculiarity I have been noticing is that the network signal to or from the player is very weak. For whatever reason. At playback dsf files do get constantly interrupted and hi-res flac files do often sound like a dirty lp. I have Cambridge CXN on the same rack (in the same cabinet) and it plays the same titles just fine. Through the same Android Casting app. Why would it be so?

Archsam

Just wanted to report back my recent experience.

A few days ago I finally was able to upgrade the MA Remote to v2.2.5. Through the app I also upgraded the firmware to B61601.
I basically had to downgrade the app back to v2.1.5 after one day, for the following reasons:
  • All, and I mean all, my album arts disappeared under v2.2.5. In previous versions most of my album arts appear fine, with the occasional cover missing. I tried turning on the automatic album arts search option but it didn't do anything.
  • I constantly get the message saying my Element X is disconnected from the network, even though music was still playing via the MA remote app and basic functions e.g. forward to next track was working. This error message pops up constantly and it becomes unusable.
  • I find the app's response is actually slower than v2.1.5.
  • The app freezes and needs to reopen a lot more often than v2.1.5.
  • When I select 'add to the end of the queue' under the file browser, the pop up window 'songs added to end of queue' actually annoys me to no end, because it stays on top of the screen for 2 seconds or so, blocking my view of the file list - I usually pick and place a lot of song folders into my playlist, and this pop up window just gets in the way and slows everything down.
So for me v2.2.5 doesn't seem to work, and i think it is a downgrade compared to previous versions.

somy

Thanks for sharing the experience. As with several other owners of MA device we’re not happy with it. It is simply a good measured device with low usability. I’d also like to add a few more issues:
1) not possible to play “all” under artist
2) only list top 10 from artist
3) incomplete track title
4) tracks not ordered the same way as in tidal
5) not possible to play from a certain track in a playlist/album/artist, you need to add tracks one by one, each time you got the annoying 2 seconds pop-up
6) local cover art not loaded for albums on NAS
7) WiFi works poorly, partially due to the wrong wireless card installed, indexing of 300 albums takes forever, and it lost WiFi connection occasionally, only way to fix is to pull the plug!

OP
D

Deleted member 20875

Same here, very incomplete device and the software is complete rubbish; slow, unresponsive, takes forever to scan either NAS or portable hard-drive, does not show all titles, losing connection .. you name it. I use Hi-Fi Cast (Android) app to stream to the device, else it is not really usable as is. Very disappointing.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank god i have not embraced their app. the unit works perfectly with jriver and i couldnt be happier.
Please keep this post up to date if they eventually fix the problem as i did want to eventually switch over and use their app to do a comparison to ma vs jriver.
Thanks.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone know why MA disappears for weeks on end on these problem posts.
They are gaining a rep of good products but horrible support. This duo does not bode well for their long term adoption by the audio community

somy

Thank god i have not embraced their app. the unit works perfectly with jriver and i couldnt be happier.
Please keep this post up to date if they eventually fix the problem as i did want to eventually switch over and use their app to do a comparison to ma vs jriver.
Thanks.
Well if you use Jriver you’d better off with a DAC/AMP with better measurements and half of the price :)

somy

Anyone know why MA disappears for weeks on end on these problem posts.
They are gaining a rep of good products but horrible support. This duo does not bode well for their long term adoption by the audio community
Not sure I saw they responded to other questions, but maybe deliberately ignore all their existing users who reported so many issues. lol
After the new year I will talk to the dealer and ask for return/refund.
One lesson i learnt: measurements have nothing to do with usability and reliability.

Top Bottom