• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

M40X vs. HD280Pro vs. DT240Pro vs. K361

Asylum Seeker

AT M40X vs. Senn HD280Pro vs. Beyer DT240Pro vs. AKG K361 with mobile source

Which one would you choose for on-the-go (around town and travel) and why?

Blur

Forum Donor
ATH-M50x should be on your list if your budget allows. $150 new.
https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86

I used mine for years until the pads dried out. You can leather lotion the pads for 5 years and extend their life. They seal well, have better build quality than the D280 Pro ( I've broken a few headbands on those ). Have not heard the others, but I image the AKG's are brighter sounding which for travel really does not work. All of the extra treble gets lost in the noise that is not attenuated by the seal.

Fregly

I really liked the Koss Porta Pro. Nice compact around town kinda phones.

OP
Asylum Seeker

Asylum Seeker

Turns out I ended up ordering none of those. Instead I ordered--all on discount--the following:
  • AT M60x
  • 1More Triple Driver Over-ear
  • AKG K371
They arrive any day now. They will be for on-the-go. Already have the DT770 and DT880, both 250 Ohm, for home use. Still considering a Drop HD5XX Jubilee.

M50x - had them and sold them twice.

Blur

Forum Donor
Nice, please let us know what you think of each in a brief review.

Enjoy your new gear!

OP
Asylum Seeker

Asylum Seeker

The Audio Technica ATH-M60x do not pass muster. :(

They will be put up for sale.

loudnoise

I own M40X and i'm very happy with it. It has a balanced frequency range and I can hear small details. And I mean it works in various genres. Recently I have mixed a music piece with woodwind and it was a perfect headphone for that.

IIt was my first time and I have read info about woodwind instruments and about recording.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The HD280 Pro has very good isolation making it suitable for use on commercial jets at a much lower price than noise cancelling headphones. It is not especially durable. Mrs T is on her second pair. They are sold at guitar center, so you can always pick up a pair quickly.

Top Bottom