• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

M2tech young mkii vs Topping D70/50/50s

• Thread starter Deleted member 6802
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6802

Hallo, my father wants to buy his own DAC (he is currently borrowing my Arcam irdac which i switched to KTB DAC) and stumbled into M2tech young mkii dac selling used in our local area. My question is, dose the m2tech young mkii performe better and are the m2tech young products worth the attention?

The DAC will be used with an Logitech Squeezebox and the DAC will be parried with my fathers Primare pre32 pre-amp and from the specs i can read it outputs max 10 Vrms. Is it the output voltage i can expect from the RCA outputs?

OP
D

Deleted member 6802

Your wallet will perform better with a D50s that's for sure.
For the rest, expect exactly the same sound quality.

What about the output voltage difference between the DAC and Pre-amp. Will it effect the sound quality?

Willem

Major Contributor
If the DAC/preamp outputs a hotter signal than the power amp was designed for you may get clipping. My RME ADI-2 DAC has adjustable gain, and the result i sindeed a cleaner signal than I have ever heard in my system. However, the problem can also be solved easily with cheap inline attenuators.

OP
D

Deleted member 6802

If the DAC/preamp outputs a hotter signal than the power amp was designed for you may get clipping. My RME ADI-2 DAC has adjustable gain, and the result i sindeed a cleaner signal than I have ever heard in my system. However, the problem can also be solved easily with cheap inline attenuators.

Just to be clear, if the amplifier and the pre-amp have a matched voltage then the voltage of the DAC i am connecting to the pre-amp, dose not matter?

The setup chain of my fathers gear looks like this:

- Logitech Squeezebox-DAC-Preamp-Poweramp-Floor standing speakers

Willem

Major Contributor
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought the pre amp had been left out (as I do: it no longer serves any purpose for me). So in this case the DAC goes into the pre amp. Essentially it is the same story: if the DAC is hotter than the preamp input, you will have clipping. This is not unusual. Many DACs have a cd red book standard output of 2 Volt (sometimes even more) while many pre amplifiers have an aux input that is rather more sensitive. This is the same issue as with many cd players, and probably explains why some people complain about the harshness of digital sources: it is their pre amplifiers clipping on the input of such hot sources. A telltale sign is that you do not need to open the volume very much to get a loud sound. Inline attenuators are the (cheap) cure.

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
Many audio companies play this game. CD players or DACs with higher ouput than 2 Volt will play louder in the demo room, and the brain interprets louder as better. Similarly, amplifiers with higher input sensitivity will play louder, deceiving people into thinking that they are sonically superior (the Naim sound).

OP
D

Deleted member 6802

I never liked the Naim sound, found it very overrated based on the reviews i read about them. Some people even recommended me their products based on my music taste (Death Metal) which after few seconds of listening i figured, it was not worth my time. Thank you Willem a lot for your help, i will send your words further to my father and i hope he will settle for an Topping D50s as i also want to compare it with my Khadas Tone Board <3

Top Bottom