• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

M2.5! speaker from PBN Audio: Waveguide Horn and Dual Woofers

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Two JBL drivers are the heart of the system: First, twin JBL 2235H 15” woofer classics, with a low-loss magnetic structure and Symmetrical Field Geometry, which reduces harmonic distortions to near zero. The second is the inimitable JBL D2430H mid-range/tweeter compression driver, with dual-diaphragms.

Hrodulf

That’s a pass for me at 30k. Low end seems a tad shy for the size and price. I’d rather swipe a pair of M2’s, get a quad nCore setup and run them from a RME ADI-2 Pro with digital filtering.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Those ought to blow you out of your chair.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Two JBL drivers are the heart of the system: First, twin JBL 2235H 15” woofer classics, with a low-loss magnetic structure and Symmetrical Field Geometry, which reduces harmonic distortions to near zero.

Two 2235H woofers have about as much volume displacement as one of their new neo woofers. The 2235H is also a little fragile. The mass ring can get stuck. I think the preferred approach today is to use their version without a mass ring and actively equalize the bass.

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Yes, surprising choice for the woofers - not sure why they did not go with the modern dual VC neo 2216Nd. to match the D2430H that are in the JBL M2's...

I like the double 15's approach thought. Same approach as the JBL 4722 Cinema speakers. While the 4722's are fugly, and use a slightly lower grade version of the 2216Nd, they are also $1K per speaker, yet have as good frequency response as the M2!5's...

JBL 4722 FR.JPG

Top Bottom