• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

M-Audio BX8 D3 Monitor Review

Rate this studio monitor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 38 22.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 109 64.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 14 8.3%

• Total voters

Floyd

Forum Donor
I received and installed the speakers. I am using Maiky76's equalization and I am very happy with the sound.

The speakers are connected to my desktop sound card (Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS). I am using this cable and it's working well.

I am picking up some noise from the computer, it's not mains hum, but noise which somewhat correlates with processor activity in the computer. If I pull the cable from the sound card, the speakers are silent, when I put the computer to sleep, the speakers are silent, too.

What's the best way to get rid of the noise?

joqueval

Hello.
The "wonderful" process noises.
From the processor activity, 5v usb power, any can be the source.
Besides the cable is not shielded or balanced.
I would sincerely recommend an external audio interface if you can, there are good opportunities on the market, in excellent condition.
From Komplete Audio, Foscurite to SSL2, there are many if you only use a PC or better a dedicated DAC, even if it is basic.
I think @JulianKrause is on this forum https://www.youtube.com/@JulianKrause
Where there is very good information.
Currently I use them with XLR connectors from the DO300 and without suffering parasitic "noise".

Floyd

Forum Donor
Thank you very much. I think you put me on the right track. I could use a Steinberg UR22 Mk II audio interface we have sitting around, but even better is probably the DAC/Headphone amp SMSL C200 which I am using for my headphones. It has a balanced TRS output and I just ordered two balanced TRS cables so that I can connect the speakers with balanced connection.

I'll report back, when the cables have arrived ;).

Floyd

Forum Donor
Thank you. That's what I will do with the (Amir-recommended ;)) SMSL C200.

orangejello

Probably, another question is quality of components and overall life expectancy.

Overall it has good Amazon customer reviews, this "lower grade" caught my attention:
View attachment 279286
Freakin' budget party people :D (also raises question about idle power consumtion..)
I bought the original BX8 at least 10 years ago. I originally used them as keyboard/piano monitors because they sounded tonally correct to me. Then they moved out onto the back patio (which is partially enclosed on three sides) and lived there for 5 years. They were hooked up to an old iPad and provided music outdoors where having some power was nice. The winter tenperatures drop well below freezing and the summers can get above 100F. I never powered them down - they just hung out there with their blue light on all of the time. They are still going strong. I periodically wipe the dust off of them and they look as good as new. So my experience is that they are quite durable.

joqueval

Hello.
The UR- should offer better features, I have had it on the purchase list on more than one occasion.
The C-200 is the DAC that I have initially used with the BX-8, the sound of the set is very good, there is a reduction of noise in the silences, compared to an audio interface, among other improvements
PCs are very useful for daily life but unfortunately they are a source of noise.
Good weekend

Glitch

Excellent distortion figures for the tweeter!!!
Can anyone find the part number and whether it can be ordered as a spare part for DIY projects?

Floyd

Forum Donor
So, connected the speakers with balanced TRS cables to the balanced line output of the SMSL C200 output and - as expected - the noise is gone. What a great improvement for my computer room setup. Thank you for the help.

I have one more question. I now have three places where I can adjust volume: 1) the Amazon Music app, 2) Windows sound control, and 3) the SMSL C200 volume. For best quality, which %-positions should I use? (I currently use 1) 80%, 2) 80%, 3) 60% )

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So, connected the speakers with balanced TRS cables to the balanced line output of the SMSL C200 output and - as expected - the noise is gone. What a great improvement for my computer room setup. Thank you for the help.

I have one more question. I now have three places where I can adjust volume: 1) the Amazon Music app, 2) Windows sound control, and 3) the SMSL C200 volume. For best quality, which %-positions should I use? (I currently use 1) 80%, 2) 80%, 3) 60% )
Max out everything and adjust volume with the smsl. That should in theory provide the best sound quality.

Floyd

Forum Donor
Well, I am back. Now, after I solved the obvious noise issue, I was listening to the music and not happy with the stereo image. Previously, two stereo speakers created a nicely centered sound in this phase test:

Now the sound is only centered when the video says "Out of Phase". I have the suspicion that there is a reversed phase somewhere.

My system:
Windows 11 Desktop with SMSL XMOS USB DAC driver for SMSL C200 --USB-->
SMSL C200 --balanced line out/ 2 TRS balanced cables--> Speakers

Obviously, there is no easy way of switching phase.

When I use headphones from the SMSL C200 6,35 mm unbalanced output in the front, everything is fine.

Could this be a wiring problem in the speakers (could even be only for one of the four drivers, 2 woofers, 2 tweeters)? Or in the TRS cable? Or am I missing something?

I am looking forward to help on this.

Floyd

Forum Donor
Well, I took the bull by the horns and swapped the leads on one of the TRS-cables (resoldered tip and ring leads). Now all is well. Sound is now really great.

My learning is that the speakers can be connected with different polarity and then two speakers work out of phase which is obviously very destructive for stereo sound quality (The cables were soldered/connected correctly. I checked it with a meter).

If anyone is interested in the "tale of woe" of another studio monitor user (here Alesis DSP 720) you can read this. Obviously it is necessary to check the phase behavior of studio monitor pairs, since they could be wired with opposite "phase". The Youtube video posted above works very well.

Thank you for your help.

Antz123

I know that the choices are subjective. I am looking for a powered near-field monitor that I could use for personal entertainment.

The prices for a pair of M-Audio BX8 D3 and Kali Audio LP6 V2 for me are almost the same (Kali is 20$ costlier). Anyone who has heard both of them, would really help.

fineMen

Major Contributor
Thanks. As I said, (link above, img/ 22) an effective intermodulation generator--10% is a great feat. Only a few would climb that high. No comparison to any decent speaker. I know, a tautology, but what defines a speaker as decent? The absence of such intermodulation, because it just is possible with lesser effort?

Btw/, I was most recently asked to recommend a low cost self powered speaker. I took this one as an example to raise sensibility about what to expect.

Last edited:

Mikul

The prices for a pair of M-Audio BX8 D3 and Kali Audio LP6 V2 for me are almost the same (Kali is 20$ costlier). Anyone who has heard both of them, would really help.
what did you choose?
I have a choice bx8 d3 pair 280 euro, kali lp-6 v2 pair 410 euro or kali lp-8 v2 pair 420 euro.
What choose exclusively for listening to music?

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
what did you choose?
I have a choice bx8 d3 pair 280 euro, kali lp-6 v2 pair 410 euro or kali lp-8 v2 pair 420 euro.
What choose exclusively for listening to music?
BX8 D3. With slight PEQ adjustments they should be as good as the Kali and have way more bass extension.
I have a single BX8 placed in the corner acting as a ‚wireless smart speaker‘ with my raspberry pi and don’t miss a subwoofer whatsoever.

You’re getting a lot for your money at this price

Floyd

Forum Donor
I can only say, I am using two BX8 D3 with the SMSL C200 and the equalization given up-thread and this works very well. Great sound, good bass. I should have done this (or similar) much earlier ;)

Top Bottom