• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

M-Audio BX8 D3 Monitor Review

Rate this studio monitor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 38 22.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 109 64.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 15 8.9%

• Total voters

Mikul

Ok I ordered :D over the weekend I will report. A few years ago I had an eris e8 and later a jbl lsr 308 and they were fantastic. We'll see how the first impressions are with the bx8

capslock

Got a used pair in mint condition, manufactured July 2021. Gave them a quick listen (first mono, then stereo) with them sitting on the floor away from the walls in a largish room. I tried no eq but I was defintely not very impressed. Female voices sounded like they were coming out of a tin can. Bass was powerful but not impressively deep. Playing with the -2 / -4 dB switch at the back didn't help the impression.

While my current main speakers are LS 50 with EQ and diy closed box subs in the corners, I have done this quick and dirty listening with a number of speakers so I have some experience. The last speaker that visited me was a diy ported Purifi 8in alu cone + SB tweeter without waveguide. It had none of the tinny sound, and bass sounded more natural to my ears. So its not that I fundamentally dislike a two way with a high XO point.

I will give the BX8 another chance with better placement and EQ, but I am not expecting much at this point.

Last edited:

Gabe33

I have a pair of these plus the smaller bx5's d3 , the bx8 are flatter with the -4db bass eq at the back , the midrange is scooped in the 2k region . My biggest issue with these pair of speakers is the bass , its not as fast & detailed for an 8 inch monitor , the bass on the bx5's is way too exagerated , exaggerated is an understatement

capslock

Do you think the broad dip around 2 kHz gives rise to the tinnyness? Amir wrote that the overall sound got too bright when he tried to EQ the dip so he leveled the peaks higher up.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I would:
1. Try taking some FR measurements
2. Verify that woofer cones are moving freely when pushed (power off)
3. Watch for any assembly issues that could compromise the seal - I don't particularly trust things built at the height of the pandemic. You should be able to plug the port tightly and not hear any "farts" anywhere when playing bass notes.

My biggest issue with these pair of speakers is the bass , its not as fast & detailed for an 8 inch monitor , the bass on the bx5's is way too exagerated , exaggerated is an understatement
Seems to be quite EQable though.
(Note, I would EQ the bass a bit differently and try to flatten them out to about 50 Hz instead of letting them roll off as high as shown. PEACE should be helpful since it can import a FR graph to display in the background as you tweaking settings.)

Gabe33

Do you think the broad dip around 2 kHz gives rise to the tinnyness? Amir wrote that the overall sound got too bright when he tried to EQ the dip so he leveled the peaks higher up.
Yeah i think the 2k region could be why they sound so thin , i would describe it as lifeless / unmusical . I tried fixing this with sonarworks and it helped but i noticed that my mixes were too scooped in the 2k region and too bassy . Adding eq to the scooped higher mids makes the speakers sound shouty and bright , which is why my mixes were scooped in that region . The bass can also get slow & muddy in an untreated room , a front port would have helped , but i dont think m-audio want to take the risk of designing a front port , i mean they cant even design a good rear port

Gabe33

20231010_090146.jpg

SivKiv

By the way, there are a number of "BX8" speakers for sale out there but seem to be another series with round waveguide rather than the square one in the model I tested.
Those seem to be a new generation of the BX8, likely a replacement, which would explain the discontinuation. Might wanna consider picking a pair up then.
Edit: A close look reveals they may actually be a previous generation.
Edit 2: Yup, they are a previous generation. Apologise for bringing this up then haha. Maybe a D4 next then perhaps.........

dedobot

Im about to trigger of bx8 d3 + Tangent preamp ii . Will report the outcome.

dedobot

Im about to trigger of bx8 d3 + Tangent preamp ii . Will report the outcome.
Update:
Ended with Edifier r2850db. Mainly because the front firing port (placement is close to the back wall). The speakers are not for me but for my sister's new apartment.
Very pleasant sound for the money (280euro).

canchet

I have a pair of these plus the smaller bx5's d3 , the bx8 are flatter with the -4db bass eq at the back , the midrange is scooped in the 2k region . My biggest issue with these pair of speakers is the bass , its not as fast & detailed for an 8 inch monitor , the bass on the bx5's is way too exagerated , exaggerated is an understatement
I have the BX5-D3, do you think is worth the upgrade to the BX8? or better off looking somewhere else? Cheers!

joqueval

I have the BX5-D3, do you think is worth the upgrade to the BX8? or better off looking somewhere else? Cheers!
Hi @canchet
Let me share my experience with you.
At the time I was looking for an improvement of the speakers used in the pc, and I chose the BX-5 D3, for its size and performance, I had them placed on a side of the living room of 6.2 X 3.5 meters. (I have them in my living room).
I was very happy with their performance but I was looking for a bit more bass and added a subwoffer.
When I wanted a little more presence I activated the sub.
Some time later on one of those days when you get an ad from Amazon, I looked at the BX-8 and ordered them.
When I took them out of the box I thought about returning them, they really are a respectable sized monitor. They have a volume x3 compared to the BX5.
But that volume is compensated by their sound, they have more body than the BX5.
Depending on the space where you are going to place them, if you have room, the BX8s would be a good choice.
I keep the BX-5 for the TV because I often prefer them to the home cinema for everyday use.
I hope you find my experience helpful.
Regards

Attachments

• BX-8.00.jpeg
    BX-8.00.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 38
  • BX-8.01.jpeg
    BX-8.01.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

canchet

Hi @canchet
Let me share my experience with you.
At the time I was looking for an improvement of the speakers used in the pc, and I chose the BX-5 D3, for its size and performance, I had them placed on a side of the living room of 6.2 X 3.5 meters. (I have them in my living room).
I was very happy with their performance but I was looking for a bit more bass and added a subwoffer.
When I wanted a little more presence I activated the sub.
Some time later on one of those days when you get an ad from Amazon, I looked at the BX-8 and ordered them.
When I took them out of the box I thought about returning them, they really are a respectable sized monitor. They have a volume x3 compared to the BX5.
But that volume is compensated by their sound, they have more body than the BX5.
Depending on the space where you are going to place them, if you have room, the BX8s would be a good choice.
I keep the BX-5 for the TV because I often prefer them to the home cinema for everyday use.
I hope you find my experience helpful.
Regards
They are massive, they seem smaller on other pictures but I never saw a picture of a bx5 vs bx8.
My room is not that big but I kinda feel I need more feeling from low frequencies on my body from what I’m getting with the bx5s.
I have zero experience with other monitors, I normally use headphones, but I find the sound of the bx5s not bad at all. They have quite a lot of detail and they respond good to EQ.
I’m also considering a pair of HEDD Type 07 mk2, I know two totally different segments, but frankly I can’t test them to hear if they are really worth that premium price. Also dealing with DACs and Class D amps is not what’s the best idea.

Cheers!

mjgraves

Just to add a little color to this thread. At the time the BX Series were launched M-Audio was owned by Avid. The BX5a were for a time the single most popular powered monitors in the world. This is because broadcast facilities used them anywhere they needed a small powered monitor. In my former job, I worked with TV stations and broadcast networks all around North America. From edit suites to master control rooms, they were the most common monitor I would see. Not in main mixing rooms, but everywhere else. They were good enough, practical form factor, and not too expensive.

So, when I set about building a multi-zone audio system for my home, I bought a couple pairs of the BX5 D3 to get started. It's crazy that they were less expensive than Sonos One. And sounded better. I had hoped to try some of their more expensive offerings. They had a 3-way WTW offering with coaxial mid & tweeter that looed promising.

Alas, Avid fell upon hard times. M-Audio was eventually sold off. The product line collapsed, and took on more emphasis on smaller things like the BX3. These are more like PC speakers than anything else. Very small. Very low cost.

It appears that you can still get a verison of the BX8, the BX 8 Graphite for $258/pair. The BX8 D3 occasionally shows up used for under $200/pr.

canchet

Just to add a little color to this thread. At the time the BX Series were launched M-Audio was owned by Avid. The BX5a were for a time the single most popular powered monitors in the world. This is because broadcast facilities used them anywhere they needed a small powered monitor. In my former job, I worked with TV stations and broadcast networks all around North America. From edit suites to master control rooms, they were the most common monitor I would see. Not in main mixing rooms, but everywhere else. They were good enough, practical form factor, and not too expensive.

So, when I set about building a multi-zone audio system for my home, I bought a couple pairs of the BX5 D3 to get started. It's crazy that they were less expensive than Sonos One. And sounded better. I had hoped to try some of their more expensive offerings. They had a 3-way WTW offering with coaxial mid & tweeter that looed promising.

Alas, Avid fell upon hard times. M-Audio was eventually sold off. The product line collapsed, and took on more emphasis on smaller things like the BX3. These are more like PC speakers than anything else. Very small. Very low cost.

It appears that you can still get a verison of the BX8, the BX 8 Graphite for $258/pair. The BX8 D3 occasionally shows up used for under $200/pr.
Do you know which model is newer, the BX8 D3 or BX8 Graphite?

Cheers!

Pasikonik

I own this & a pair of t7v's , these sound smoother than the T7V's , the adams sound brighter and abit plasticy (harsh) , but i prefer the bass of the T7V's in my room , its tighter and more accurate compared to the boomy BX8d3 , the m-audio are easy to calibrate with sonarworks but still dont translate well outside of my home studio . I think i should have went for similarly priced jbl lsr305p

Would you be so kind as to share some more details about the differences between the bx8 d3 and the adam t7v? I am now faced with a dilemma of choice. BX8 d3 are cheaper but the difference is not big and I could spend more money on T7V. The speakers will be intended for my office for listening purposes only, no professional sound processing. The problem is that the office is large and the speakers will not have a wall behind them.

Top Bottom