• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

M-Audio BX4 D3 | Active Monitor | Measurements, Teardown & Subjective Impressions

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Having been so pleasantly surprised by the somewhat more expensive M-Audio BX5 D3, I decided to purchase one of the brand's even cheaper offerings. These are the M-Audio BX4 D3s and they retail as a pair for just EUR 120.

One monitor is powered, while the other is passive and left/right placement is selectable. The front of the powered unit offers a white power LED, combination volume control and power switch, 3.5mm TRS headphone output and auxiliary 3.5mm audio input.

m-audio-bx4-2-removebg.png

The design is quite similar to that of M-Audio's more expensive offerings, although the tweeter waveguide has been truncated and the baffle plastics are noticeably cheaper.

On the rear of the active speaker, we have both balanced 6.3mm TRS and unbalanced RCA inputs, along with a position selection switch for the active unit and a 3.5mm TS output to the passive speaker. There are also what appear to be LF and HF gain controls but as these speakers contain only two amplifiers and do not include proper crossovers (discussed later in greater detail), they are effectively simple tone controls.

[removal.ai]_tmp-62225fbea6d1c_JS2L6A.png

The amplifiers are 25W class AB modules and do not produce any significant heat, as was the case with the BX5 D3s.

With the practicalities out of the way, let's jump into the measurements. As always, we begin with the on-axis and off-axis measurements. These utilize a composite of ground plane, nearfield and gated methods, which should be reasonably comparable to data acquired using a Klippel NFS or anechoic chamber. For these measurements, the tone controls were in the "0dB" position.

1646421295662.png

Well, that's a rollercoaster of a response. The port appears to be doing little more than introducing a large hump around 80Hz and there are several resonances dotted throughout the data.

Directivity is relatively uniform until about 5-6KHz, where the midbass gradually begins to roll off (it has no crossover whatsoever) and the tweeter with its singular protection capacitor takes over. Between 8-10KHz, we can also see the unfortunate effects of diffraction within that truncated waveguide.

To my surprise, the predicted in-room response is actually somewhat reasonable and aligns well with my ungated in-room measurements for this speaker.

1646422082077.png

The general slope is reasonably correct, save for the shmoo around 2KHz.

Next, we have nearfield measurements of all driver components

bx4d3 driver comp named.jpg

"Crossover" slopes are rather different, as the only component in play here is a protection capacitor for the tweeter. The midbass is well behaved given the circumstances but a proper crossover could have improved directivity matching significantly. Port resonances are reasonably well controlled but it does chuff quite audibly.

Next are polar chars for directivity. Horizontal directivity is wide (~60°) but not particularly uniform beyond 3KHz.

1646425148703.png

Vertical directivity is predictably narrow and you will definitely want to remain within about 20 degrees of the acoustic center. If you must listen off-axis, then prefer below to above.

1646425256729.png

Finally, we have harmonic distortion. This data was acquired as part of the ground plane measurement and should be reasonably accurate.

BX4 D3 THD 80dB.jpg

BX4 D3 THD 90dB.jpg

Subjective impressions were not exactly poor, although I could definitely hear that something wasn't quite right. This turned out to be the wide bump between 2KHz and 7KHz, which emphasized vocals and caused them to become slightly sibilant.

Following a few (17!) PEQ filters, the response became far more pleasant but the trouble around 10KHz remained.

1646496050298.png

The improvement was quite dramatic and I happily listened to more than a few tracks with few complaints. I could still hear the oddities at 10KHz but they weren't particularly bothersome and at this price point, I'm inclined to be more forgiving. The directivity issue is not much of a problem in my very acoustically dead office but it does mean that the BX4 D3s will be very room dependent.

These little monitors are capable of delivering very reasonable volume levels and while they don't exactly reach far down into the sub-bass band, the bass response is adequate for the kickdrums in Kiara's Sparks and LUM!X' Scare Me to retain their fun. The vocals in Kovacs' Final Song were also reproduced very nicely, perhaps missing a little bit of sparkle around that troublesome spot.

A questionable on-axis response out of the box does not typically prevent me from recommending speakers but in conjunction with the directivity problems, these speakers are going to present an unknown variable in many situations. Ultimately, I can not recommend the M-Audio BX4 D3s. If you are located within the US, then the slightly more expensive Neumi BS5Ps offer substantially greater performance and value for money.

Thank you for reading and I hope this post has been of help to you!

Attachments

• BX4 D3 Full Spinorama.zip
    102 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Having been so pleasantly surprised by the somewhat more expensive M-Audio BX5 D3, I decided to purchase one of the brand's even cheaper offerings. These are the M-Audio BX4 D3s and they retail as a pair for just EUR 120.

One monitor is powered, while the other is passive and left/right placement is selectable. The front of the powered unit offers a white power LED, combination volume control and power switch, 3.5mm TRS headphone output and auxiliary 3.5mm audio input.

The design is quite similar to that of M-Audio's more expensive offerings, although the tweeter waveguide has been truncated and the baffle plastics are noticeably cheaper.

On the rear of the active speaker, we have both balanced 6.3mm TRS and unbalanced RCA inputs, along with a position selection switch for the active unit and a 3.5mm TS output to the passive speaker. There are also what appear to be LF and HF gain controls but as these speakers contain only two amplifiers and do not include proper crossovers (discussed later in greater detail), they are effectively simple tone controls.

The amplifiers are 25W class AB modules and do not produce any significant heat, as was the case with the BX5 D3s.

With the practicalities out of the way, let's jump into the measurements. As always, we begin with the on-axis and off-axis measurements. These utilize a composite of ground plane, nearfield and gated methods, which should be reasonably comparable to data acquired using a Klippel NFS or anechoic chamber. For these measurements, the tone controls were in the "0dB" position.

View attachment 190393

Well, that's a rollercoaster of a response. The port appears to be doing little more than introducing a large hump around 80Hz and there are several resonances dotted throughout the data.

Directivity is relatively uniform until about 5-6KHz, where the midbass gradually begins to roll off (it has no crossover whatsoever) and the tweeter with its singular protection capacitor takes over. Between 8-10KHz, we can also see the unfortunate effects of diffraction within that truncated waveguide.

To my surprise, the predicted in-room response is actually somewhat reasonable and aligns well with my ungated in-room measurements for this speaker.

View attachment 190394

The general slope is reasonably correct, save for the shmoo around 2KHz.

Next, we have nearfield measurements of all driver components

View attachment 190401

"Crossover" slopes are rather different, as the only component in play here is a protection capacitor for the tweeter. The midbass is well behaved given the circumstances but a proper crossover could have improved directivity matching significantly. Port resonances are reasonably well controlled but it does chuff quite audibly.

Next are polar chars for directivity. Horizontal directivity is wide (~60°) but not particularly uniform beyond 3KHz.

View attachment 190404

Vertical directivity is predictably narrow and you will definitely want to remain within about 20 degrees of the acoustic center. If you must listen off-axis, then prefer below to above.

View attachment 190405

Finally, we have harmonic distortion. This data was acquired as part of the ground plane measurement and should be reasonably accurate.

View attachment 190407

View attachment 190408

Subjective impressions were not exactly poor, although I could definitely hear that something wasn't quite right. This turned out to be the wide bump between 2KHz and 7KHz, which emphasized vocals and caused them to become slightly sibilant.

Following a few PEQ filters, the response became far more pleasant but the trouble around 10KHz remained.

View attachment 190423

The improvement was quite dramatic and I happily listened to more than a few tracks with few complaints. I could still hear the oddities at 10KHz but they weren't particularly bothersome and at this price point, I'm inclined to be more forgiving. The directivity issue is not much of a problem in my very acoustically dead office but it does mean that the BX4 D3s will be very room dependent.

These little monitors are capable of delivering very reasonable volume levels and while they don't exactly reach far down into the sub-bass band, the bass response is adequate for the kickdrums in Kiara's Sparks and LUM!X' Scare Me to retain their fun. The vocals in Kovacs' Final Song were also reproduced very nicely, perhaps missing a little bit of sparkle around that troublesome spot.

A questionable on-axis response out of the box does not typically prevent me from recommending speakers but in conjunction with the directivity problems, these speakers are going to present an unknown variable in many situations. Ultimately, I can not recommend the M-Audio BX4 D3s. If you are located within the US, then the slightly more expensive Neumi BS5Ps offer substantially greater performance and value for money.

Thank you for reading and I hope this post has been of help to you!
I've missed your other posts, so please excuse any repetition this post requires. Your measurements seem very precise with excellent resolution. What measurement software and hardware are you using? Thanks

OP
Weeb Labs

Weeb Labs

I've missed your other posts, so please excuse any repetition this post requires. Your measurements seem very precise with excellent resolution. What measurement software and hardware are you using? Thanks
Thank you! I have endeavoured to improve the resolution of my measurements (particularly around the transition frequency) with each speaker that I review.

I made use of a few different techniques to capture this data. For all of the measurements above 500Hz, I was able to take advantage of the fact that I live in a large and relatively open countryside area. The speaker was placed on a stepper controlled turntable, on top of a two metre pole far from horizontal boundaries. The microphone (UMIK-1) was mounted on one of my booms at a distance of 100cm.

This placement enabled me to retain a frequency resolution of about 25Hz following gating within REW, which was perfectly adequate for my 500Hz target. At the moment, the actual spinorama process still requires me to manually begin each angle capture but I hope to automate this at some point.

For the data below 500Hz, I captured a ground plane measurement outside on concrete, with at least ten metres of boundary-free space. Prior to merging this to the gated reference angle, I then captured nearfield measurements for the midbass driver/port and computed the baffle step compensation. This is in order to ensure that it agrees with the ground plane result.

With all of the measurements captured, I gate the spins within REW, export them as FRDs along with the unrated ground plane result and load everything into VirtuixCAD. Finally, I merge the spins to the ground plane data with a half octave transition at 500Hz and the results can be seen above.

dominikz

Forum Donor
Really great work! Kudos!
For the data below 500Hz, I captured a ground plane measurement outside on concrete, with at least ten metres of boundary-free space.
Do you do repeat all of the individual polar measurements using the ground-plane method, or you measure just the reference angle and extrapolate the others in VituixCAD?

OP
Weeb Labs

Weeb Labs

Really great work! Kudos!

Do you do repeat all of the individual polar measurements using the ground-plane method, or you measure just the reference angle and extrapolate the others in VituixCAD?
At the moment, I only use the ground plane method for a singular reference angle below 500Hz. This is technically suboptimal but conventional speaker designs (non-cardioid) are largely omnidirectional at that point, so I regard it as a very small compromise which greatly reduces measurement complexity.

The ~25 Hz frequency resolution of the gated data leaves me with a significant buffer below 500Hz and so the half octave blend results in a very seamless merge in directivity charts.

1646494661884.png

Last edited:

buscon

Thanks for the review!

Yesterday I received both the BX5 and BX4. I compared them and I can only confirm your more accurate review: the BX5 are worth their money, the BX4 are not a good option.

pierre

Forum Donor
Hello,

thanks for the data. Here is PEQ to flatten the LW and optimise the PIR. Tonality score moves from 2.9 to 5.0.
Here is the EQ, you can skip the last 3.
Code:
EQ for M-Audio BX4 D3 computed from Misc data
Generated from http://github.com/pierreaubert/spinorama/generate_peqs.py v0.14
Dated: 2022-03-08-06:56:21

Preamp: -1.6 dB

Filter  1: ON PK Fc  2575 Hz Gain -3.68 dB Q 0.43
Filter  2: ON PK Fc   428 Hz Gain +2.31 dB Q 3.93
Filter  3: ON PK Fc   780 Hz Gain +1.64 dB Q 3.24
Filter  4: ON PK Fc  1620 Hz Gain +2.14 dB Q 3.87
Filter  5: ON PK Fc  2058 Hz Gain -1.23 dB Q 2.23
Filter  6: ON PK Fc 14088 Hz Gain -4.32 dB Q 1.27
Filter  7: ON PK Fc   226 Hz Gain -1.45 dB Q 3.93
Filter  8: ON PK Fc  1196 Hz Gain -1.11 dB Q 3.98
Filter  9: ON PK Fc   514 Hz Gain -1.58 dB Q 3.97
filters_eq.png

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
My $0.02:
The port appears to be doing little more than introducing a large hump around 80Hz
Meh, but not unusual in this class.
Directivity is relatively uniform until about 5-6KHz,
Depends on your definition of relatively, I guess. It is clearly not matched well between the drivers, either the midwoofer is too small or the tweeter too directional.
where the midbass gradually begins to roll off (it has no crossover whatsoever) and the tweeter with its singular protection capacitor takes over.
Again meh but par for the course at the price.

Level handling suggests average driver / cabinet performance, too.

These are certainly alright for the price and feature set, but they are definitely multimedia rather than reference monitors.

Seems like your best bet for a decent, moderately expensive set of 4" class monitors may still be the Presonus Eris E4.5s with a DIY crossover mod... bummer. This class is so disappointing when it comes to good budget options.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Weeb Labs

Weeb Labs

Late to the party. :) Promoted to home page. Am measuring the BX3, searched for reviews and landed on this page!
Thank you for home page! I look forward to seeing your results for the BX3. My expectation is something very similar to the BX4, which includes the same waveguide and lack of crossover.

OP
Weeb Labs

Weeb Labs

Oh wait. Really? No wonder I saw the response that you and I got.
Indeed. There is a protection capacitor on the tweeter but the midbass plays full range.

Miota

Hello there!
What speakers can you recomend instead of M-Audio BX4? Interested in speakers with a similar price and a size of 4.5", no more.
I listened to BX4 and Edifire 1280t, and M-Audio, as it seemed to me, give out a more correct sound.

OP
Weeb Labs

Weeb Labs

Hello there!
What speakers can you recomend instead of M-Audio BX4? Interested in speakers with a similar price and a size of 4.5", no more.
I listened to BX4 and Edifire 1280t, and M-Audio, as it seemed to me, give out a more correct sound.
You have not mentioned any budgetary constraints but if you are looking for something at a price point similar to that of the BX4, then I would recommend the Edifier MR-4. It is very well behaved for the price.

Miota

Dear sir!
Could you please tell more about difference between the BX4 and MR4?
The speaker of the MP4 is 4" and the BX4 is 4.5".
As I understand, both of them have almost the same amplitude frequency response.
And what do you think about Presonus Eris 4.5 compared to MR4 and BX4?

You have not mentioned any budgetary constraints but if you are looking for something at a price point similar to that of the BX4, then I would recommend the Edifier MR-4. It is very well behaved for the price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom