• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lynx aurora VS RME convertors (UCX ii)

daniels01

Hey Guys
What are your opinions on the difference in quality of converters ?
Currently using babyface pro fs + adi-8 ds mk3
I need more i/o so looking for an upgrade - the UCX is more affordable for me of course but i do want high quality of conversion - is it worth saving a but more and getting an aurora? is it a matter of taste or actual quality difference?
seems like they both are well in measurements but a lot of people say lynx is higher and it costs more - i could spend more but wondering how much i would benefit rather than investing in something else in the signal chain. i use mostly analog synths and some outboard gear. record vocals... and a bit of guitar - no drums or orchestral instruments usually (until now)
would apreciate comments from people who have experience with both brands.

Thanks!

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
In practical use, beyond a certain point (which is quite low these days), connectivity / flexibility trumps converter performance any day of the week. As an extreme example, there is this guy who ditched his ailing MOTU HD192 (ADC: AK5394, the best you could get for many years) for a humble Behringer UMC1820 + ADA8200 combo at a fraction of the price and got more I/O out of the whole process:
Now the ADA8200 in particular is a bit borderline... I would not really want to use something with a bunch of CS4270s for single speed recording if I can help it (the antialias filtering is about the minimum you can still get away with, and then more so at 48 kHz than at 44.1). Still, sound quality obtained with this modest setup is obviously decent and not a whole lot different than the high-strung one it replaced. How's that for a reality check. (That said, if you have a HD192 with some issues I'd rather advise on getting that fixed...)

There is nothing about your usage that would suggest the need for super high-end converters. As a compromise, maybe look at a Fireface UFX II? More I/O and higher-grade converters than the UCX II (so at least it's not a downgrade from the Babyface Pro in that regard) and still costs a good chunk less than the Aurora(n) 8 USB. Other than that, extra money may be better spent upgrading / expanding the microphone cabinet and/or room treatment.

Top Bottom