• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lyngdorf TDAI 1120

I've also connected a turntable. but I hardly use it.

Speakers are Wharfedale Evo 4.3, sensitivity is 88db and the room is approx. 60 sqm. I don't listen that loud but unless you have a massive room and insensitive speakers I don't think you'd have an issue.

The downside of the 1120 is there's only 1 set of R/L RCA outputs, one of which I use for a subwoofer. This means you can't connect an external power amp and have subs connected as well. The more expensive models have more connectors.
Try REL subs and high level connection, no need to waste the RCAs on a sub.

Verig

TDAI-1120 is a great little box. I ended up with NAD M10 which has more raw power but otherwise there is absolutely nothing missing from the 1120.

Tassin

Never connect the TDAI-1120 to a subwoofer with High Level / speaker terminal inputs, as this will seriously damage the amplifier.

panther

TDAI-1120 is a great little box. I ended up with NAD M10 which has more raw power but otherwise there is absolutely nothing missing from the 1120.
Love the Lyngdorf remote app as well as tweaking it when you log in with it's voicings and such. I miss this on the NAD amps. The lyngdorf feels miles ahead to me in this way. Also the included mic and stand with the Lyngdorf are first rate for something coming included.

Verig

Love the Lyngdorf remote app as well as tweaking it when you log in with it's voicings and such. I miss this on the NAD amps. The lyngdorf feels miles ahead to me in this way. Also the included mic and stand with the Lyngdorf are first rate for something coming included.
Agreed.

Norcal

Did you move to the extra power of the NAD M10 because of insensitive speakers, you were getting distortion at higher volumes, or you listen farther away? The Lyngdorf power output is the only thing that makes me fret (and the next model up is way too costly) - I guess I'm asking how it manifested as an issue for you.

Verig

Did you move to the extra power of the NAD M10 because of insensitive speakers, you were getting distortion at higher volumes, or you listen farther away? The Lyngdorf power output is the only thing that makes me fret (and the next model up is way too costly) - I guess I'm asking how it manifested as an issue for you.
I sometimes like to listen loud and my speakers are quite low sensitivity at about 84dB.
Also, through the years I've come to conclusion that I pretty much always need more power than I think I need. So while basic 60W (@8) is enough... kind of... I really enjoy the effortless swing of more power.

My friend is very happy with his Lyngdorf + Kef LS50 Meta set. Very low sensitivity there too and while not horrible load I wouldn't call it easy either. Those little buggers need some juice. But he listens at lower volume than me and doesn't mind dynamics that much.

Do try the 1120, it's the only way to make sure. If it works well for you, great, there aren't many options as full featured and well put together in the price point. :)

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Never connect the TDAI-1120 to a subwoofer with High Level / speaker terminal inputs, as this will seriously damage the amplifier.
Why? Works perfectly fine with other class D amps.

tjf

Top 5 Reasons not to use REL "High Level" connection on the Lyngdorf TDA1120

1) REL's early marketing narrative (do they still say this?) for using the speaker level connection for adding a sub to your HiFi means: that the input signal voltage sent to the REL internal bass amp is created by using a very high impedance at the "high level" input on the REL. When you use this connection the REL's bass quality will "take-on" the dominant "sound qualities" of the Power Amp driving the main speakers. (so this rates an "Uh-Huh, right?)

2) Connecting your REL to the main amp outputs of the TDA1120 eliminates any use of the High Pass/Low Pass xover functionality of the Lyngdorf's bass management & room correction system while ignoring all the proven in-room acoustic and usable amplifier power benefits...

3) Ok, let's say you don't care about using the bass mgmt capabilities of the 1120 -- so you're gonna have your main speaker's Low Frequency extension "in-room" try to "blend" with the LP xover setting and in-room bass response of the REL? Room Perfect -- help!

Digression Alert: way back when REL was the darling High End "audiophlie consensus" subwoofer brand, their distirubtor (Sumiko?) used to promote a means of "room-tuning" the REL by starting with it buried in a corner, playing a bass passage on repeat, while listening and incrementally moving the REL out of the corner and closer-to/further-from the nearest main speaker/corner/back wall/side wall to judge various room Nodes/Nulls/Phase Cancellations -- I'm glad we have tools like Room Perfect, Dirac, etc., to work with now...

4) OK, so now you've resigned yourself to:

a) Ignore the bass mgmt capabilities of the 1120, and let "Room Perfect" sort out the blending anomalies of your main speakers and the REL sub via the REL high level input connection to the 1120 amplifier outputs (assuming it's electrically safe to do?).
b) Waiting to see if you can define the 1120 amplifier's inpact on the "bass character" of the REL's in room sound. (yes, I know, Uh-Huh...)
c) And since you have an advanced room correction system, you don't worry about how far the REL should be from the corner/back wall/side wall, etc.

5) Likely result: probably not too bad -- thanks to Room Perfect, but I'll wager it would be better by:

** Using the 1120 High Pass filter for the main amp/speakers: lower distortion in your main speaker upper bass/lower mids, more usable power for the limited output 1120 amplifier.
** Using the 1120 Low Pass for the REL: likely better Room Perfect integration/transition between sub and mains, likely better midbass and upper bass in-room sound quality.

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Top 5 Reasons not to use REL "High Level" connection on the Lyngdorf TDA1120

1) REL's early marketing narrative (do they still say this?) for using the speaker level connection for adding a sub to your HiFi means: that the input signal voltage sent to the REL internal bass amp is created by using a very high impedance at the "high level" input on the REL. When you use this connection the REL's bass quality will "take-on" the dominant "sound qualities" of the Power Amp driving the main speakers. (so this rates an "Uh-Huh, right?)

2) Connecting your REL to the main amp outputs of the TDA1120 eliminates any use of the High Pass/Low Pass xover functionality of the Lyngdorf's bass management & room correction system while ignoring all the proven in-room acoustic and usable amplifier power benefits...

3) Ok, let's say you don't care about using the bass mgmt capabilities of the 1120 -- so you're gonna have your main speaker's Low Frequency extension "in-room" try to "blend" with the LP xover setting and in-room bass response of the REL? Room Perfect -- help!

Digression Alert: way back when REL was the darling High End "audiophlie consensus" subwoofer brand, their distirubtor (Sumiko?) used to promote a means of "room-tuning" the REL by starting with it buried in a corner, playing a bass passage on repeat, while listening and incrementally moving the REL out of the corner and closer-to/further-from the nearest main speaker/corner/back wall/side wall to judge various room Nodes/Nulls/Phase Cancellations -- I'm glad we have tools like Room Perfect, Dirac, etc., to work with now...

4) OK, so now you've resigned yourself to:

a) Ignore the bass mgmt capabilities of the 1120, and let "Room Perfect" sort out the blending anomalies of your main speakers and the REL sub via the REL high level input connection to the 1120 amplifier outputs (assuming it's electrically safe to do?).
b) Waiting to see if you can define the 1120 amplifier's inpact on the "bass character" of the REL's in room sound. (yes, I know, Uh-Huh...)
c) And since you have an advanced room correction system, you don't worry about how far the REL should be from the corner/back wall/side wall, etc.

5) Likely result: probably not too bad -- thanks to Room Perfect, but I'll wager it would be better by:

** Using the 1120 High Pass filter for the main amp/speakers: lower distortion in your main speaker upper bass/lower mids, more usable power for the limited output 1120 amplifier.
** Using the 1120 Low Pass for the REL: likely better Room Perfect integration/transition between sub and mains, likely better midbass and upper bass in-room sound quality.

Good that the REL subwoofers Support high and low level input. So all good for every possible scenario:)

I did read in another forum that the high level inputs could damage the amplifier.

But getting this amp without using the subwoofer integration it offers makes really ni sense.

I'm considering to get one (TDAI1120) as well.

Top Bottom