• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 vs NAD C398 vs NAD C388 vs ?

Dr.Matyt

Hello everybody!
This is my first post in this forum, so please be gentle... :)

I am studying for my very first "serious" Hi-Fi system, after a bit of experience with some "not-so-serious" systems designed for friends and family (namely a Denon CEOL + Monitor Audio Bronze 50) and a NAD D3045 + Monitor Audio Bronze 100). They sounded reasonably well for them, but for my own system I was looking for something better (and a bit more powerful, since it'll go in a 20 sqm room).

My "need to have" points are:

• Seamless integration with TV (either via HDMI CEC or some kind of wake-on-toslink system + IR learning feature)
  • room correction

Nice to have features:
  • integrated streaming capabilities
  • Stereo (AVRs would probably solve my issues quite easily, but I don't like the idea of having unused channels around)
The amp will be probably paired with a set of Monitor Audio Bronze 200 (which I have not auditioned connected to the specific amps I eyed, but I tend to like the Monitor Audio sound profile, and quite like the design of the speakers... :p)

My budget is around 2000 EUR, I don't mind buying something used.
I have eyed the new NAD which seems very interesting, has HDMI (so integration is fine), and by installing the MDC module you have room connection and streaming... power is probably overkill for what I need... which is why I was also interested in the smaller and less powerful version (the C388, which does not seem to be released yet).
While scrobbling around I also came across the Lyngdorf, which seems very interesting, but does not carry the same "bang-for-the-buck" level of the C398/C388

What do you think? Do you have additional suggestions for me?

MacCali

Major Contributor
Message back if you’re still wondering don’t want to take my time to write out a solution

MacCali

Major Contributor
If you could help me, that would be greatly appreciated.
Well my personal opinion would be to avoid room correction as a factor, you can purchase a third party microphone and software if you really need it. You’re only dealing with 2 channels or 2.1.

If HDMI is a must than you got to get a unit with that but even that can probably be converted into digital or for certain RCA and input into a unit. If you are doing multi channel this would be far more difficult.

I mean there’s a lot of choices if you factor that in. Giving you more wiggle room so that would be my advice.

Tell me what you think about that.

Top Bottom