• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 questions

MisterOZ

MQA support as well! I wonder how they will display the MQA status.
it is shown only in the app… For Tidal they are using the music symbol at 11 o’clock.

Tassin

First unfold only.

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Tassin

Manual.

The TDAI-1120 includes MQA Core Decoder, which unfolds the MQA file once to deliver better than CD-quality. The first unfold recovers all the direct music-related information.

stevoknevo

Mine is driving a pair of LS50 Meta's without a subwoofer just fine, but I am sitting only 9 get away.

I can see that it can use more power.

Note that it has no XLR pre-outs.

Perhaps Lyngdorf should have a cheaper and more open version of the Steinway Lyngdorf SP-1 processor but with 2x XLR and 2x SE for subs.

The 1120 also relies on Chromecast/AirPlay for Qobuz/Tidal unless you use Roon like me.
Or UPnP, so it's gapless unlike Chromecast - I use Bubble UPnP but also have MConnect (I use Android, latter app needed for iOS/iPadOS)

stevoknevo

Hi,

I am new to this forum seeking for several questions about my hifi setup that im currently making.

I have purchased a pair of wharfedale linton heritage 85th. Im currently living in an apartment where the room is quite unforgiving. Hardfloor, banks of windows, flutter echo when clapping in hands, no treatments in room beside fornitures. The livingroom/kitchen is +-36m2.

Im on the edge of buying the tdai 1120, mainly because of the benefits of RP for my room. Where many recommended bw2 as subs since it integrated seemlessly with rp.

Unfortunately those subs are out of my budget range, so im considering a pair of Bk P12-300SB-PR subs.

The 1120, will it drive the linton sufficiently? I dont need the loudest spl since im living in an apartment with neibours, the speakers could dip to 3.2 ohm.

Will the subs intergrate well with rp? Both could be place in front corners of the wall..

Alternative options and advice are very welcome,

Thanks
My room is slightly smaller than yours at circa 30sqm including kitchen (L shaped room - main area is 3.5m x 8.3m) and I have a BK P12-300 and another due to be delivered tomorrow - they're more than enough for your space! One is enough for my space but I wanted stereo subs to see if bumping the crossover up from 80 to 110hz helps drive the mains a bit easier (8ohm PMC GB1 floorstanders) Regardless, as it is with one sub currently then it's not short of volume output in my room for my needs short of getting an ASBO for rippin the arse out of it!
Only had my tdai-1120 a couple of weeks and very pleased with it indeed (got a fantastic deal on it ex-demo with full warranty, real step up in SQ from my old RPI 4>Topping E30>Anthem MRX 500>XTZ A2-300 into same speakers and sub...HA! Second sub just arrived typing this out, wasn't expecting it until tomorrow

sky-watsher

1 year (and some) owner here, lovely piece of gear, set-it and forget it, quite impressive for the set of features; Satisfied customer.

The nitpicking :
  1. If you have power hungry speakers, please do audition before committing, the 1120 struggles to drive my LRS, i need 90% Volume to reach listening levels, but RoomPerfect made them really shine (still need 90% volume though) (it drives my other speakers with ease)

2. You can't save more than one calibration, the only workaround (as i described it last year) is to use saved backups to load different calibrations if you wanna switch speakers

3. The little boy get's hot, not sure if it's due to the computation, but it does get hot, so please plan some space around it to breath (easily done since it's a small unit)

4. Logo cannot be completely turned off (first world problem i know, but i'm using it in HT passthrough also, and i would've liked to be able to completely turn it off)

5. I exclusively use it as a roon endpoint (occasionally Spotify connect) + HT passthrough (my Logitech harmony switchs it on and goes to the correct input) so i cannot speak of the native app experience, i only use it to enable/disable Roomperfect and sometimes to change the voicing

6. No tidal Connect The latest Update brought Tidal Connect
All in all, The 1120 shines in the podium with the All-in-One shoe boxes (Uniti Atom, M10, Evo 150, SA30...) RoomPerfect is really magic (to my ears at least), i wish it had 100WPC but you can't have it all :)

Last edited:

stevoknevo

1 year (and some) owner here, lovely piece of gear, set-it and forget it, quite impressive for the set of features; Satisfied customer.

The nitpicking :
  1. If you have power hungry speakers, please do audition before committing, the 1120 struggles to drive my LRS, i need 90% Volume to reach listening levels, but RoomPerfect made them really shine (still need 90% volume though) (it drives my other speakers with ease)

2. You can't save more than one calibration, the only workaround (as i described it last year) is to use saved backups to load different calibrations if you wanna switch speakers

3. The little boy get's hot, not sure if it's due to the computation, but it does get hot, so please plan some space around it to breath (easily done since it's a small unit)

4. Logo cannot be completely turned off (first world problem i know, but i'm using it in HT passthrough also, and i would've liked to be able to completely turn it off)

5. I exclusively use it as a roon endpoint (occasionally Spotify connect) + HT passthrough (my Logitech harmony switchs it on and goes to the correct input) so i cannot speak of the native app experience, i only use it to enable/disable Roomperfect and sometimes to change the voicing
All in all, The 1120 shines in the poduim with the All-in-One shoe boxes (Uniti Atom, M10, Evo 150, SA30...) RoomPerfect is really magic (to my ears at least), i wish it had 100WPC but you can't have it all :)
Good write up
Mine barely gets above room temperature, even when giving it some - running a sub, soon to be two though, but my speakers thrive on power (rated to 150w, but 60 drives them fine with sub in tow - 100w would've better right enough) could the LRSs be taxing it overly?

Running close to 0db seems a fairly common thing to have to do, have you tried turning the gain up a couple/few dB on your source input?

I find the Lyngdorf remote app to be excellent in use, in fact the entire software package has been absolutely rock solid all round - very pleased with it indeed.

sky-watsher

Good write up
Mine barely gets above room temperature, even when giving it some - running a sub, soon to be two though, but my speakers thrive on power (rated to 150w, but 60 drives them fine with sub in tow - 100w would've better right enough) could the LRSs be taxing it overly?

Running close to 0db seems a fairly common thing to have to do, have you tried turning the gain up a couple/few dB on your source input?

I find the Lyngdorf remote app to be excellent in use, in fact the entire software package has been absolutely rock solid all round - very pleased with it indeed.

Thanks Mate !

"Mine barely gets above room temperature, even when giving it some - running a sub, soon to be two though, but my speakers thrive on power (rated to 150w, but 60 drives them fine with sub in tow - 100w would've better right enough) could the LRSs be taxing it overly / Running close to 0db seems a fairly common thing to have to do, have you tried turning the gain up a couple/few dB on your source input? " - the LRS are by nature Power hungry, the 1120 slides over my Qacoustics 3050i and Klipch RP600m with ease, and i dont need more than 50/60% volume to rock the house. Raising the input source could've been an option, but like i said im using it as roon end point, so the TDAI 1120 is responsible for the full conversion.
I don't think running close to 0 db is normal (your speakers are also hungry hence why you
are probably doing it), but it's worth reading for anyone planning a purchase, if you have Maggies, B&W old models, or even ELACs have a listen before committing.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi.
In search for a new amp I’m waiting for the new Lyngdorf TDAI-1120. However I not familiar with the Lyngdorf family and pros or cons. One thing I can’t find info about is the dac chipset. Does anyone have information on this? What to expect compared to other Lyngdorf units?
https://lyngdorf.com/lyngdorf-tdai-1120/
Description: 2-channel streaming amplifier
Power rating: 2 x 120 W RMS @ 4Ohm / 2 x 60 W RMS @ 8Ohm
Digital inputs (Asynchronous): 2 x Coaxial (≤192kHz/24bit) 2 x Optical (≤96 kHz/24bit) 1 x HDMI (TV ARC)
Analog inputs: 1 x Phono Single Ended RCA (RIAA / 47kOhm 100pF), 1 x Analog Single Ended RCA (Max level: 4.0V = 0dBFS) 1 x Microphone input (XLR) for RoomPerfect™ calibration
Analog output: 1 x Stereo Analog RCA (75ohm-Max output level 4 Vrms)
Audio specifications: Frequency Response: ±0,5dB from 20 to 20,000 Hz, Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.05% max from 20 to 20,000 Hz, THD-N 1w/8ohm 0,04%, THD-N 1w/4ohm 0,04%
Media player: Internet Radio (vTuner), Spotify Connect, Roon ready, Chromecast built-in, DLNA Support (uPnP), AirPlay2, Bluetooth, Local file playback (USB)
Wireless connections: Bluetooth connectivity, Wi-Fi (802.11 n/ac)
Control interfaces: Intuitive input selector, Web-interface for setup and media player, Remote application for IOS and Android, IP control, CEC (HDMI), 1 x trigger input, 1 x trigger output, 1 x RJ45 Ethernet LAN connector, 1 x USB connectors (Type A)
Accessories included: RoomPerfect™ microphone, Microphone stand, Microphone cable, Optional accessory: IR remote control, rack mounting kit
Placement options: Freestanding
Dimensions (H x W x D): 10.1 x 30 x 26 cm (including connectors), 3.98 x 11.8 x 10.3 inches (including connectors)
Weight: 8 kg / 17.6 lb
Finish: Matte black

Reviews
https://www.recordere.dk/2020/02/verdenspremiere-vi-tester-lyngdorf-tdai-1120-hifi-streamer/ (DK)
https://www.bestofhighend.com/lyngdorf-tdai1120-review-2/

I have been testing the NAD M10 for the last two weeks but it’s going back. I do like the sound tho, but I miss some things. Anyway the NAD M10 has a ES9028Q2M dac and Hypex NC252MP. So now I know what to compare with!

I believe many people are very happy with its older brother 2170, so this unit shouldn’t be that bad either... I hope.
I wouldn’t get twisted up about DAC chips. There should be no discernible differences.

stevoknevo

Thanks Mate !

"Mine barely gets above room temperature, even when giving it some - running a sub, soon to be two though, but my speakers thrive on power (rated to 150w, but 60 drives them fine with sub in tow - 100w would've better right enough) could the LRSs be taxing it overly / Running close to 0db seems a fairly common thing to have to do, have you tried turning the gain up a couple/few dB on your source input? " - the LRS are by nature Power hungry, the 1120 slides over my Qacoustics 3050i and Klipch RP600m with ease, and i dont need more than 50/60% volume to rock the house. Raising the input source could've been an option, but like i said im using it as roon end point, so the TDAI 1120 is responsible for the full conversion.
I don't think running close to 0 db is normal (your speakers are also hungry hence why you
are probably doing it), but it's worth reading for anyone planning a purchase, if you have Maggies, B&W old models, or even ELACs have a listen before committing.
I was basing the running closer to 0db from other users comments (on another forum) I'm anywhere from -25 to -5 depending on source, track levels, and mood!
Maggies are a notoriously difficult load, would hate to see you putting your 1120 in an early grave as I've not read or seen anything about them running warm, never mind hot?

Tassin

@sky-watsher The latest firmware (2.0.1) brings Tidal Connect to the 1120.

sky-watsher

@sky-watsher The latest firmware (2.0.1) brings Tidal Connect to the 1120.
looks like im few generations behind lol, i have to read what other updates i missed

1668094292682.png

Tassin

A nice little thing is that now you'll be able to preview what updates the new firmware brings.

1668099981975.png

curiouspeter

The nitpicking :

6. No tidal Connect The latest Update brought Tidal Connect
All in all, The 1120 shines in the podium with the All-in-One shoe boxes (Uniti Atom, M10, Evo 150, SA30...) RoomPerfect is really magic (to my ears at least), i wish it had 100WPC but you can't have it all :)
It should not get hot. Mine only gets warm.

What is 90% volume? How many dB below reference is that?

curiouspeter

A nice little thing is that now you'll be able to preview what updates the new firmware brings.

View attachment 242478
It seems their programmers are very competent.

I am a software guy and I notice things. The TDAI-1120 seems to have stable firmware. The UI makes sense and it does not have many bugs.

In comparison, I find Roon not very smooth or stable.

sky-watsher

It should not get hot. Mine only gets warm.

What is 90% volume? How many dB below reference is that?
I'm not sure how to define the line between Warm and Hot, but mine gets WARM when used, and for some few instances where i slept on couch and forgot to switch it off, the following morning (although nothing is playing) it would still be Warm.

90% volume only with my LRS, think of it as 10/11 oclock on the volume knob

Top Bottom