• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 questions

RopV

Please do, I'm curious if you actually feel like you need the power upgrade.

@smadan: I'm also very curious about the outcome. Do you feel the need to upgrade to more power with the TDAI 1120 in the large room? As said above, I'm thinking of using a power amp for 2 passive subs, thus relieving the 1120 of all that work. The JMLabs Focal 816s would be responsible for everthing above 200, maybe 400(500?) Hz (with Lyngdorf subs).
But it's only a theoretical study, so far, since my (bigger) room is still under construction.. I have zero experience with power amps.

At the moment, in the smaller room, I am enjoying the sound of the 1120 everyday !

Last edited:

Panelhead

Forum Donor
My ignorance shows here. I was thinking of ordering a TDAI-1120. But use Purr Music playback software.
Does not appear that it is possible to hardwire the digital feed from the computer into this streaming amplifier. My good options are USB, Thunderbolt, and FireWire. There is a low quality optical output.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My ignorance shows here. I was thinking of ordering a TDAI-1120. But use Purr Music playback software.
Does not appear that it is possible to hardwire the digital feed from the computer into this streaming amplifier. My good options are USB, Thunderbolt, and FireWire. There is a low quality optical output.
Just get a USB dac that acts as a spdif bridge also (eg Topping D10s), or a standalone spdif bridge.

Gaius

Forum Donor
Hello all: the TDAI-1120 has a HDMI eARC input rated at ≤24 bit/192 kHz. Am I correct to assume that I can connect an universal player (say Sony X800, or Oppo, or whatever), set it to send stereo PCM on HDMI and TDAI-1120 would be happy with it? Or is there some magic handshake that will recognize that the Sony is a shiny discs player not a TV and will not accept the connection? In particular AFAIK Sony can be set to play a SACD and output PCM over HDMI (extracted from 2 channel DSD) at 172.4 kHz, or DVD-A at 24/96, would these work? Do all other ARC or eARC inputs (eg on NAD) behave the same?

Many thanks, apologies if this is obvious.

smashedpumpkin

Has anyone used this amp with a pair of KEF R3 speakers? I'm considering an upgrade from my Q300 and need an amp to pair them with. The TDAI-1120 certainly ticks the boxes for features and room correction would be a godsend for me as I'm in a weird shaped room with very few treatment options available. I know the R3 require a decent amount of power to get the most of them. The one thing I've always struggled to get my head around is not to rely on the published numbers for power and instead look at the power delivery. What exactly should I be looking for in this regard?

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Has anyone used this amp with a pair of KEF R3 speakers? I'm considering an upgrade from my Q300 and need an amp to pair them with. The TDAI-1120 certainly ticks the boxes for features and room correction would be a godsend for me as I'm in a weird shaped room with very few treatment options available. I know the R3 require a decent amount of power to get the most of them. The one thing I've always struggled to get my head around is not to rely on the published numbers for power and instead look at the power delivery. What exactly should I be looking for in this regard?
Welcome Aboard @smashedpumpkin.

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
Hello all: the TDAI-1120 has a HDMI eARC input rated at ≤24 bit/192 kHz. Am I correct to assume that I can connect an universal player (say Sony X800, or Oppo, or whatever), set it to send stereo PCM on HDMI and TDAI-1120 would be happy with it? Or is there some magic handshake that will recognize that the Sony is a shiny discs player not a TV and will not accept the connection? In particular AFAIK Sony can be set to play a SACD and output PCM over HDMI (extracted from 2 channel DSD) at 172.4 kHz, or DVD-A at 24/96, would these work? Do all other ARC or eARC inputs (eg on NAD) behave the same?

Many thanks, apologies if this is obvious.
Hi. I’m no expert on this subject, but tried to find some information. As far as I can tell is that as long it supports eARC on both ends it will automatically find the optimal format. Or you may manually select your preferred format if supported.

eARC no longer relies on HDMI CEC (control protocol) for discovery and pairing. eARC has its own dedicated data channel, which allows connected devices to exchange information about which audio formats are supported – and not supported – at each end. The system will automatically select and use the optimal format.

Source: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1534479331

curiouspeter

Hi. I’m no expert on this subject, but tried to find some information. As far as I can tell is that as long it supports eARC on both ends it will automatically find the optimal format. Or you may manually select your preferred format if supported.

Source: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1534479331
Any issue with HDMI ARC or eARC? Deciding between this and the NAD M10.

Also, which TV do you use? I am probably going to get a Sony Bravia.

Thanks!

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
@curiouspeter Hi, I don’t use arc/eARC but I believe some other members here do. I have not heard about any issues tho.
My tv is and old LG Oled with only arc if I remember correctly.

I had the NAD M10 for testing a couple of weeks, but ended up with TDAI-1120. I’m still happy with that decision.

ThomasT

I received my 1120 a few days ago, and

for your next project.. upgrade WIMA caps to ODAM .47, bypass with Dueland silver .01. replace internal hook up wire going from the circuit board to the binding posts with stranded silver/gold wire. Cancel small rear power switch, if there and use a Furutech. Damp insides. One hobbyist claimed 35% improved on an already exemplary amp.

That's my plan for new 1120 in Feb. 22

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
Firmware 1.3.0 is out.
https://lyngdorf.steinwaylyngdorf.com/downloads/lyngdorf-tdai-1120-software/

Code:
Streaming updates:
- Spotify updated
- GoogleCast updated
- Roon updated

Features:
- CEC/ARC - OnScreenDisplay now shows "TDAI1120" on TVs supporting this.
- CEC/ARC - Volume changes are now feed back to TV to be in sync.
- CEC/ARC - Keep TDAI1120 alive as long as audio system is selected on TV e.g. paused streaming.
- CEC/ARC - Other improvement based on extensive testing of various TV models.

Bugfixes:
- GoogleCast stability - improved with latest GoogleCast update.
- Android remote app: "vTuner login failed!" error message when searching for particular radio stations.
- Issues with Audio streams with sample rate higher than 192kHz are now solved.
- Not possible to set static IP on Wi-Fi i some situations. It is however always recommended to set static IP based on MAC address in router not in TDAI1120 if static IP is desired.
- Fixing error with Main Eq values was written instead of Analog Eq values(only on the fly changes).
- Display turned on while e.g. watching a movie over ARC - because of new peak value.
- Loud pop could be heard on subwoofer(analog out) if turning off amplifier to fast after turning it on.
- Fixing web feature: "Streaming players can change input source" was not working as expected.
- Major: CEC/ARC driver hangs after some days and requires power cycle of TDAI1120.
- Improvements to WIFI setup guide to avoid being stuck in WIFI configuration mode. This state would falsely give the impression that TDAI1120 was frozen.
- Other low level improvements.

Sunnysideup

I read the TDAI-1120 has FLAC support up to 192/24, but I don’t see anything regarding DSD. Though my DSD collection is quite lean, it would be great if they are supported.

symphara

I read the TDAI-1120 has FLAC support up to 192/24, but I don’t see anything regarding DSD. Though my DSD collection is quite lean, it would be great if they are supported.
I don't believe it supports DSD.

ThomasT

received my 1120 a few days ago, and I'm in love with this amplifier!
It's the perfect .. when you upgrade output WIMA .47s with ODAM and bypass with V-Cap CuTF .01 and.. replace the standard internal hook up wire going from the circuit board to the binding posts with stranded silver/gold wire... for a much closer to heaven machine.. assuming you run it into Audio Nirvana Full Rangers..

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
received my 1120 a few days ago, and I'm in love with this amplifier!
It's the perfect .. when you upgrade output WIMA .47s with ODAM and bypass with V-Cap CuTF .01 and.. replace the standard internal hook up wire going from the circuit board to the binding posts with stranded silver/gold wire... for a much closer to heaven machine.. assuming you run it into Audio Nirvana Full Rangers..
You believe these changes would be audible? It would seem unlikely to me.

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
for your next project.. upgrade WIMA caps to ODAM .47, bypass with Dueland silver .01. replace internal hook up wire going from the circuit board to the binding posts with stranded silver/gold wire. Cancel small rear power switch, if there and use a Furutech. Damp insides. One hobbyist claimed 35% improved on an already exemplary amp.

From another post… 35% improvement, how do you measure this?

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
I would like to see a new thread with instructions, a how to and the best part, measurements. Why those parts? Why change this and that etc…
Maybe one original and one “pimp my amp” version was sent to amir for measurement.

ThomasT

[QUOTE="RopV,..
Why don't you simply go for the full range audio nirvana 15'' ferrites at 98Db eff? I use their 8'' neo and driven in the past with 1.5 watt. TS OTL.

Top Bottom