• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 questions

Steve356

Hello everyone.
Lyngdorf family is growing. I’m testing 1120 and am amazed with sound even more than RP correction in my room. Was thinking about 2170 though if it would be better choice considering similar price I can get both of them. I don’t need streaming capabilities as I can feed sound via AVR preout but was thinking with 2170 extra digital outputs I could add 2400 in the future if needed. Are there any other differences? Does 2170 have web config as well, will it sound and perform similar to 1120?

I've had extensive listening experience with the 1120 plus had the 2170 and 3400 at home for a couple of months. I went for the 3400 in the end as it suited my requirements best and sounded better to my ears in my system (the 1120 was not on the market when I was making my purchase decision). I'd say that the 2170 and 3400 sounded very close to each other in my room/system. The 1120 is an excellent amp for the money with RP in my opinion, but I'd say that the 2170 and 3400 were superior sounding amps and seemed effortless at any volumes. No measurements to back any of this up, just used my ears. :)

gatamiata

Hello everyone, I just bought LS50 Meta speakers with Bluesound Powernode but I am not enjoying them so much on all kinds of music styles. I like it on classical music and jazz, but I have to choose wisely the songs I play to enjoy them. It something feels fatiguing to listen to them, sometime feel they lack detail and I that they struggle a little with the stereo in some music style like rock, metal, drums etc... My room is 3,3 by 5,5 meters (11 by 18 feet) and has a 2,5 m height feet high (8 feet), living in an apartament and having neighbours so I won't listen at very high levels. I have no room correction, my speakers are 2,2m apart from each other, and I am at a distance of 2,5m from them. The speakers sit at around 15 cm from the wall. But the room has a small echo when speaking, so I don't like listening to high volume.

I wanted to know if I will be better of with LS50 Wireless 2 that has more power and the room correction presets built it (but are 3cm longer and will sit at 12cm from the wall so closer to the wall) or should I try Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 with its' active room correction feature? Is it possible that bluesound powernode is underpowered even if I listen at about 30% of it's capacity? Will the TDAI-1120 be better in my case or will they be underpowered for LS50 Meta? Or should I try LS50 Wireless 2 (which I liked a lot when listening in a showroom but they have a treated room)?

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
should I try Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 with its' room correction feature?
Noooo! As a amp it's weak for the expense. It has many functions but you can do better for a amp for the kind of money it costs.
Power rating: 2 x 120 W RMS @ 4Ohm / 2 x 60 W RMS @ 8Ohm.

Use a notebook/desktop as a source and then install PEQ software and calibrate it to your speakers and room.

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
I think you should start with room acoustics before buying anything. Then you can start with eq. Also try out different placement of your speakers.

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
Digital room correction is much easier. You can only change the room acoustics so much before it becomes ridiculous.
I’ve heard that too. But I believe I read that it goes the other way too. Like there are things digital room correction can’t do, so it’s recommended to start with the room. Then eq. But maybe that’s for another thread and not this TDAI-1120 post :)

But it’s a very interesting topic tho.

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’ve heard that too. But I believe I read that it goes the other way too. Like there are things digital room correction can’t do, so it’s recommended to start with the room. Then eq. But maybe that’s for another thread and not this TDAI-1120 post :)

But it’s a very interesting topic tho.
Changing the room will definitely produce better results. It is just costly and not always feasible.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Changing the room will definitely produce better results. It is just costly and not always feasible.
Room treatments don't hardly move the needle on low frequency correctly that is needed in a room. Correction 10-20db problems at 20-100hz just isn't going to happen very effectively without dsp. I would do the reverse... correct room issue with dsp first, then listen/measure before going crazy with room treatment.

curiouspeter

Room treatments don't hardly move the needle on low frequency correctly that is needed in a room. Correction 10-20db problems at 20-100hz just isn't going to happen very effectively without dsp. I would do the reverse... correct room issue with dsp first, then listen/measure before going crazy with room treatment.
I have Powernode and LS50. I use Roon PEQ and REW for correction. Works pretty well.

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
New firmware 1.4.1

Code:
1.4.1 / December 2021
Streaming updates:
- GoogleCast 1.52 GM latest delta updates

Features:
- Wi-Fi - Add frequency and channel information to SSID list in web interface.
- Add SW release information about current release in web interface.

Bugfixes/improvements:
- CEC - less aggressive retry algorithm - Satisfies more TVs.
- Fixed "huge USB disk" backup/restore issue.
- Removing unnecessary display updates e.g., front display lights up during movies.
- Spotify library: improve playback start from network standby + general dropouts.
- Airplay: Prevent stopping playback when network is temporary down - using buffered data.
- Wi-Fi - Improved reconnect to Wi-Fi router after router temporary dropout
- Wi-Fi - Improved other stability issue.

Edit: I’ve updated and all good. I don’t use Spotify anymore so can’t test if that skipping issue is solved.

Last edited:

Lother

Unfortunately i still have spotify skipping-track-issues with the new version :(

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
Unfortunately i still have spotify skipping-track-issues with the new version :(
Report to lyngdorf and see if they have a solution. But a quick Google search, a lot of people complain about this. Android app, iOS app, web etc so maybe it’s not lyngdorf's fault.

When I stream music with airplay 2 I have this 15 seconds issue. After 15 seconds it stops and error message “url not supported” pops up. Not every song but can be annoying.

I guess nobody’s perfect :(

symphara

@curiouspeter I haven't heard a room correction system that I've liked over without one yet.
Same until RoomPerfect. The 1120 correction is very subtle for my room, it just makes the bass a bit tighter. It's not that I love it (it's only noticeable with certain material), but it's a small improvement nonetheless.

Audyssey for example I find unusable with music, it's like putting sacks over the speakers.

Lother

Report to lyngdorf and see if they have a solution. But a quick Google search, a lot of people complain about this. Android app, iOS app, web etc so maybe it’s not lyngdorf's fault.

When I stream music with airplay 2 I have this 15 seconds issue. After 15 seconds it stops and error message “url not supported” pops up. Not every song but can be annoying.

I guess nobody’s perfect :(
It has to be Lyngdorf's fault because on firmware 1.3.2 all issues are gone. Anyway still a great amp and I absolutely love it, no other problems besides the Spotify song-skipping in the new versions...

OP
S

spacebar

Forum Donor
It has to be Lyngdorf's fault because on firmware 1.3.2 all issues are gone. Anyway still a great amp and I absolutely love it, no other problems besides the Spotify song-skipping in the new versions...
Ah okey. I couldn’t find any version number for Spotify connect, only chromecast. But maybe you could ask for a quick fix and downgrade to the one in firmware 1.3.2.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Same until RoomPerfect. The 1120 correction is very subtle for my room, it just makes the bass a bit tighter. It's not that I love it (it's only noticeable with certain material), but it's a small improvement nonetheless.

Audyssey for example I find unusable with music, it's like putting sacks over the speakers.
I actually listened to a Lyngdorf with roomperfect. I will say that was the one room correction that I didn't think noticeably messed with the sound. And in my friends room it did make a noticeable difference that wasn't obnoxious. Unfortunately, I still didn't find it superior, just different. I've tried DIRAC as well. DIRAC made details standout and the bass feel tighter. Unfortunately, you could tell that something weird was happening to the sound which would mean I would never use it.

Qba3d

Are there any news on Tidal Connect? I find it the only major drawback on paper of Lyngdorf, as no MQA is not a deal breaker and You could still set up HiFi as a quality option.

robertbb

Pretty close to pulling the trigger on this.

We had a storm roll through and fry my trusty, 10 year old, Emotiva XDA-2. The XPA-200 Amp is still OK but I think it's time to sell it and get something more modern.

The 1120 seems absolutely perfect for my needs and my speakers: B&W CM5 S2's and two REL T5/i's (it's a 2.2 setup).

I did read in the manual that using the high level outputs to connect the REL subs (which I was doing on my old setup, via Neutrik/Speakon cable) will damage the amplifier. So I am preparing to use the built-in outs for the purposes of connectivity and bass management.

I really wish there was a headphone circuit and jack on this unit. My g/f watches movies sometimes with headphones on while I'm working on my laptop. But for this purpose I'll just run her headphones from the TV itself.

Alpine M

I'll be posting up my TDAI-1120 in the classifieds here shortly.

I've used it with my Revel F326Be for the past ~9 months, only replacing it as I upgrade my 2CH setup to a 7.1.4 system. I've really enjoyed it here, and I consider Room Perfect to be better than both Audyssey and Dirac that I've used with these speakers. Drives my towers full range in an large open area with authority :)

Thanks
Jim

Top Bottom