• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 analog inputs latency

dimezis

Is there any delay/latency when using its analog inputs?
Lyngdorf is a digital-only amplifier, which makes me wonder if there's really a way it can playback without latency with analog inputs as a source.
Logically, it must go through extra conversions for it, unless there's some dedicated amp for analog inputs, which I doubt.

I'm concerned, because I tried BluOs Powernode which has a minimum of 50ms delay on any input, and now I'm trying to figure if other amps have similar issues.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Assuming nobody knows...

If your source has a headphone jack, and you have a headphone, and you can play the speakers simultaneously with the headphones:

Play a click track and see if you hear two clicks when you should hear one when listening to the headphones with your ear near the speakers.

If not, the delay is probably too small to worry about.

To determine the timing:

If you have a microphone stick it in the headphone near the speaker and play the click track and record the result.

Examine the recorded waveform in Audacity or similar software to calculate the delay.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I'm trying to figure if other amps have similar issues.
Amps and AVR's will digitize the analogue inputs for DSP functions which can create a small processing delay;
Based on the accuracy and repeatability at various volume levels of the left/right channel matching (see table below), the TDAI-1120 volume control is likely operating in the digital domain. Consequently, all analog signals are digitized at the TDAI-1120’s inputs so the unit may perform volume, bass management, and room correction.

FFT spectrum – 1kHz (line-level input)

fft_spectrum_1khz.png

JSmith

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Lyngdorf is a digital-only amplifier, which makes me wonder if there's really a way it can playback without latency with analog inputs as a source.
Logically, it must go through extra conversions for it, unless there's some dedicated amp for analog inputs, which I doubt.

I'm concerned, because I tried BluOs Powernode which has a minimum of 50ms delay on any input, and now I'm trying to figure if other amps have similar issues.
I use mine with an analog input in HT bypass to drive LR (RoomPerfect enabled) and I haven't noticed any delay between the speakers driven by the 1120 and the rest of them, driven by the AVR.

What's your use case?

OP
D

dimezis

Thanks for your answers folks!

@symphara
What's your use case?
So I'm planning to use the amp with 3 sources:
1) TV/PS5 through HDMI
2) Streaming from Spotify/whatever
3) Analog input from a laptop, mostly to play guitar through an audio interface and digital plugins rig, and watch some Youtube, etc.
This use case is very sensitive to even minor delays, that's why I'm trying to figure out if Lyngdorf would be able to pull it off.

symphara

Thanks for your answers folks!

@symphara

So I'm planning to use the amp with 3 sources:
1) TV/PS5 through HDMI
2) Streaming from Spotify/whatever
3) Analog input from a laptop, mostly to play guitar through an audio interface and digital plugins rig, and watch some Youtube, etc.
This use case is very sensitive to even minor delays, that's why I'm trying to figure out if Lyngdorf would be able to pull it off.
(2) is fine for sure, I tried it myself. (1) I imagine works fine, although I personally have never used its HDMI input. For (3), why don’t you contact Lyngdorf and ask for the analog input processing delay directly? They actually answer.

OP
D

dimezis

why don’t you contact Lyngdorf and ask for the analog input processing delay directly? They actually answer.
To be honest, that didn't cross my mind, usually manufacturers ignore those kinds of requests.
But they actually answered the same day!
The 1120 is not completely latency free and neither is your digital rig. the latency of the 1120 is about 2-2,5 mS and latency in your guitar rig is probably about the same. This will probably be audible, but you may be able to live with that.

symphara

To be honest, that didn't cross my mind, usually manufacturers ignore those kinds of requests.
But they actually answered the same day!
There you go! Is <2.5ms good enough for you?

OP
D

dimezis

It should be ok, currently my digital rig has total latency of 8.85ms, which I can't perceive

Top Bottom