• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

lyngdorf Room perfect

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does RP calibrate 2x subwoofers as one, or does it do it independently?

Thanks
According to model 60 manual subwoofers are handled in stereo and separate from the LFE. There’s no more detail.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 9.06.12 AM.png

You can have up to 4 discrete subwoofers depending on how you choose to configure the system. This image shows a standard 5.1 configuration. (Highlighted)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 244228

You can have up to 4 discrete subwoofers depending on how you choose to configure the system. This image shows a standard 5.1 configuration. (Highlighted)
The OP was asking if the subwoofers were calibrated individually. The manual calls them stereo subwoofers. This may imply they are not calibrated individually but the whole signal is. As LFE is handled by a separate sub the subs and front are basically fed by a stereo active crossover.

If you know different maybe you can point us to the source so that we can investigate further.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you know different maybe you can point us to the source so that we can investigate further.
I have not set one up other than as an LFE configuration.
My understanding is that if you assign alternative sub outs, they are handled discretely, but I have not verified this. I just shot a note to my Lyngdorf rep for clarification.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have not set one up other than as an LFE configuration.
My understanding is that if you assign alternative sub outs, they are handled discretely, but I have not verified this. I just shot a note to my Lyngdorf rep for clarification.
Can you see the changes made by Room Perfect?

My understanding of the LFE only mode means no bass management. The fronts receive the full signal and the single sub only receives the LFE signal. Am I correct?

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you see the changes made by Room Perfect?
I am not sure what you are asking. See how?
My understanding of the LFE only mode means no bass management. The fronts receive the full signal and the single sub only receives the LFE signal. Am I correct?

No, that is not correct. LFE absolutely has bass management. During speaker setup you enter the capabilities of each speaker (LF cutoff frequency) and the processor will steer the signal as appropriate to the subwoofer(s).

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not sure what you are asking. See how?
Most DSP based automated equalisers tell you what the automated system did after they applied the corrections.

No, that is not correct. LFE absolutely has bass management. During speaker setup you enter the capabilities of each speaker (LF cutoff frequency) and the processor will steer the signal as appropriate to the subwoofer(s).
Thank you. The user manual is not clear, for me.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most DSP based automated equalisers tell you what the automated system did after they applied the corrections.
You mean like the Audyssey idealized plot that they show you? No, they do not.
Personally I don't really believe the Auyssey graph either... I take my own measurements.
Thank you. The user manual is not clear, for me.
You are correct, the manual is not clear on several things. Luckily the guided setup prevents you from most user errors. The folks who designed the software are better than the folks who wrote the manual.

Back to the original question. I just heard back from my rep.

You can have up to 5 discrete subwoofer channels. LFE + four assigned. As long as you input their own distances and amp delay, they will each be handled discretely. Of course, realize there are a maximum of 16 channels so if you use 5 for subs, you only have 11 left for everything else.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can have up to 5 discrete subwoofer channels. LFE + four assigned. As long as you input their own distances and amp delay, they will each be handled discretely.
My question, and I believe OP is asking the same is what EQ applied on each subwoofer channel? For instance on Trinnov, subwoofers are treated as part of the overall signal. There is no individual sub EQ. All subs receive the same signal. This is why people use an external miniDSP to EQ the subwoofers outside of that AVP. Trinnov admits that and promises the new version will handle subs “discreetly.” Even though any output could always could have fed multiple subs. The word “discreetly” is not clear enough to explain the process. Devil is in the detail :)

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My question, and I believe OP is asking the same is what EQ applied on each subwoofer channel? For instance on Trinnov, subwoofers are treated as part of the overall signal. There is no individual sub EQ. All subs receive the same signal. This is why people use an external miniDSP to EQ the subwoofers outside of that AVP. Trinnov admits that and promises the new version will handle subs “discreetly.” Even though any output could always could have fed multiple subs. The word “discreetly” is not clear enough to explain the process. Devil is in the detail :)
According to my rep, as long as you set up each subwoofer with its discreet channel and distance setting, Room Perfect will calibrate (equalize) each bass channel separately just as it does every other channel.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
According to my rep, as long as you set up each subwoofer with its discreet channel and distance setting, Room Perfect will calibrate (equalize) each bass channel separately just as it does every other channel.
Thank you. You have been most helpful.

OP
A

Audiochap786

Thread starter here... Have I been led down a rabbit hole, that a amplifier must have independent sub outs to sound best?

Most amplifiers like Arcam SA30 , Nad C399 sub outputs all calibrate with Dirac as one subwoofer profile and not independently

My subs will be placed next to my floorstanders and I'm thinking that one sub calibration might not be that bad after all?..... Or is independent calibration a must?

I'm not a technical chap!!.... I don't want to use minidsp and REW! Watching YouTube video guides, stress me!

My floorstanders are Tannoy 6.4... 2x Rel TX7x (maybe should of gone dual TX9's)

Thanks

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thread starter here... Have I been led down a rabbit hole, that a amplifier must have independent sub outs to sound best?
For my two-channel system I use a 2.2 configuration. For home theaters, I use an XX.1.XX configuration. In my personal HT, it is a 5.1 system and I am considering making it a 5.1.2.

If your subs are near your speakers in a 2 channel set up, I imagine the difference between 2.1 and 2.2 will be extremely slight unless one is in a corner and the other away from other boundries.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Which amplifier are you using, out of curiosity
Happy to help.

Which amp? I'm guessing you mean AVR or processor?

For my two channel system I am using an old school analog Mark Levinson preamp that goes to an analog Pass Labs active crossover which sends two channels to a DSP on the subs. In this system the entire system is analog except for the outboard DSP that is used on the subs. I tuned the system by extensive measurements and listening.

For my HT I am using a Lyngdorf MP40 which sends the LFE to a DSP amp and onto the subs and to powered Meyer Sound speakers for LCR and surrounds. I am using RoomPerfect for room correction/tuning.

Top Bottom