• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

lx521 build done, amps next

peanuts

got the license years ago but never got around to building them. will someday though. one of the best speakers around..

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thinking about these speakers. I already have an 8-channel amplifier. The price is right (about $3000 for a kit to my door complete with the miniDSP DAC/Preamp/Active Crossover ...) My issue is the size of my room which could be too small for these. 6 X 4 x 2.5 (meter) ...

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hmm, you have slightly less than SL's recommendation of 25 sq m. My room is slightly larger (in length) but about the same width and I do wish I could get the speakers further apart, but I think the recommended 3ft to nearest reflecting surface is important, too.

I have used mine in a much larger room and they really do like to have space. I recently came across this comment from an EE, who I have a lot of respect for, who heard my LX521s at a local hifi get together a few years ago.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr...inroads-in-to-hifi.211428/page-4#post-3302761

I also took them along to an ethusiasts show here in the UK a couple of years ago and was allocated a small first floor room with a very springy floor - much smaller than yours - and ended up not showing the speakers as the bass sounded really awful. Above transition the speakers sounded (and measured) fine, but the bass was full of large peaks and dips that I couldn't eq out and the bare floor boards resonated strongly. Very disappointing.

I don't use any bass traps or physical room correction other than a bookcase about 6ft behind the speakers so you might be able to use some form of absorption. I think there are a couple more LX521 owners on ASR so perhaps they can chime in with their experience regarding room size also.

OP
Ardacer

Ardacer

I've yet to finish amps. I'm in a really bad place right now. Huge stress at work, practically no sleep.

Top Bottom