• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LX Studio - alternative to Hypex modules?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Gains should be the same at max, and input level for clipping appears to match the DLCP's maximum output level at 2.6V.

OP
prasanth.nath

prasanth.nath

Forum Donor
I have a naive question about PA3s vs PA5.

I could buy 4 PA3s, thereby letting me power each woofer in the dipole individually, instead of 3 PA5.
There is significant price difference, so I am trying to see if I can do with PA3s.

4 x PA3s = 630 USD
3 x PA5 = ~1200 USD

LX Studio, to recap, has a 4 Ohs tweeter, 8 Ohms woofer, and 2 subs - each of 4 Ohms. [Subs to be driven in series/parallel depending on amplifier ability]
Linkwitz recommends minimum 50Watts/channel at < 0.03% distortion. https://www.linkwitzlab.com/Store/LXstudio.htm

8 Ohms (max power)4 Ohms. (max power)THD+N between 100mW to 5W
PA3s27 W46 W-80 to - 90
PA548 W83 W-90 to -107

Is there a reason to go for 3 PA5 instead of 4 PA3s - is that likely to be audible?

Could I use the PA3s such that 1 channel is for 4 Ohms tweeter, and the other is for 8 Ohms woofer, instead of using 1 PA3s for L/R tweeters and 1 PA3s for L/R woofers?

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It sounds like the problem is most likely something in your environment, so switching amp module supplier might not help

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe look for a used B&K Reference 200.7. Seven channels at 200 wpc, and balanced inputs. I see a couple on eBay right now for moderate cost. Not new, but traditional Class AB amps with a linear power supply and MOSFET finals will sound good and should be repairable by old techs unwilling to work on Class D equipment.

I also saw a B&K AV 1260, which is 12 channels at 60 watts each.

Rick “simpler technology that may be easier to maintain” Denney

Last edited:
OP
prasanth.nath

prasanth.nath

Forum Donor
Maybe look for a used B&K Reference 200.7. Seven channels at 200 wpc, and balanced inputs. I see a couple on eBay right now for moderate cost. Not new, but traditional Class AB amps with a linear power supply and MOSFET finals will sound good and should be repairable by old techs unwilling to work on Class D equipment.

I also saw a B&K AV 1260, which is 12 channels at 60 watts each.

Rick “simpler technology that may be easier to maintain” Denney

Rick “includes
Thx. I live in India . eBay is not an option . eBay clones are unreliable..

OP
prasanth.nath

prasanth.nath

Forum Donor
There's more detail on the amp requirements at https://www.linkwitzlab.com/LXmini/Amplifiers.htm
I think the PA3s is going to be underpowered for the woofer. If you make some measured gain adjustments, whether on the volume control of the amp or in the DSP setup, you could use a PA3s on the tweeter and PA5 on the woofer to reduce the cost a little.
Noted. Thx.
I am considering this combination as you suggested.
Gains are similar. 19.5db for pa3a and 19db for pa5.

(Edited note about gain)

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thx. I live in India . eBay is not an option . eBay clones are unreliable..
Have a work colleague or friend buy stuff for you where it is reliable to do so, and, after determining that it works and doesn’t need to be returned, ship it to you.

Rick “sure you know these strategies already” Denney

OP
prasanth.nath

prasanth.nath

Forum Donor
It sounds like the problem is most likely something in your environment, so switching amp module supplier might not help
Mcdn..
These amps got damaged at different times in different locations..
It is a standard hypex kit.. hypex smps, their own connection harness, hypex softstart etc.. preamp is dlcp.
Amps are in a big chassis etc.

Our climate is hot and humid.

Also I suspect the newer breed ucds to be of inferior quality.. the faston tabs bend easily, capacitors are touching heatsink, the hxr regulators are set at an angle- not vertical .
Coukd be a bad batch...

OP
prasanth.nath

prasanth.nath

Forum Donor
Have a work colleague or friend buy stuff for you where it is reliable to do so, and, after determining that it works and doesn’t need to be returned, ship it to you.

Rick “sure you know these strategies already” Denney
Just wanted to mention this :)
To ship a 20 lbs package from somewhere in US to India, costs about 1000 USD these days..

OP
prasanth.nath

prasanth.nath

Forum Donor
Found out what went wrong with the hypex modules. The resistor under the HXR has overheated and almost burned away
WhatsApp Image 2022-02-22 at 8.08.01 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-22 at 8.10.28 AM.jpeg

Teamed with an DIY enthusiast here and considering a set up of TDA7293 based amps, 1 per transducer. {Needs 8 for Lx Studio}
Heard a stereo amp that he built using TDA7293 - sounds good.

The total cost of the project would be still be about 400 USD. The theory is that it would be more reliable - as we can provide adequate heat sinks and cooling and what not, to suit our climate here. It may not obviously be as performant as Topping PA5. Will update progress for those interested.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Alternatively, I might try to find out what that resistor does and why it failed (generally underrated? symptom of something else, maybe even the humidity?), and once that is fixed properly, get the UcD boards conformally coated after thorough drying and cleaning. Conformal coating can be bought as a spray can I think (plastic spray). In your climate there may be no way around it.

BTW, does this capacitor look slightly domed or am I imaging things?
uxd-possible-domed-cap.jpg

OP
prasanth.nath

prasanth.nath

Forum Donor
Apologies, I missed your Question. Yes it was not flat.
Just came here to report that the remaining 3 amps too went bust. UCD400s were the last to go.

My local enthusiast says that these designs are just too lame to suit anything south of 50 degrees North. :)
Will attach a few pics soon - just in case someone finds it useful

b0ssmAx

Alternatively, I might try to find out what that resistor does and why it failed (generally underrated? symptom of something else, maybe even the humidity?), and once that is fixed properly, get the UcD boards conformally coated after thorough drying and cleaning. Conformal coating can be bought as a spray can I think (plastic spray). In your climate there may be no way around it.

BTW, does this capacitor look slightly domed or am I imaging things?
View attachment 188886
Hello, would you know what the connector is called for the IN/CTRL? I saw something similar in one of my amps and I can’t seem to identify it properly. Thank you

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Hello, would you know what the connector is called for the IN/CTRL? I saw something similar in one of my amps and I can’t seem to identify it properly. Thank you
Molex KK series according to the datasheet, which I don't see on their site any more.

Top Bottom