• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lute Music and Other Early Music: Stunning Recordings We Love

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even though a little bit out of the scope, please allow me sharing this CD since Pascal Monteilhet (archlute) and Brian Freeman (theorbo) are wonderfully accompanying with Gerard Lesne in "Il Seminario Musicale"; amazingly beautiful and charming music in top-rank excellent recording quality...
CDC 5 45000 2 Virgin Virgin Classics Ltd.
WS001449.JPG

I found a sampler track in YouTube, please enjoy;

Last edited:

Zoomer

Not a particular recording, but a stunning contemporary Lute artist.

Last edited:
OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pascal Monteilhet (theorbo): Robert de Visée "Suites de danses"; ; wonderful performance and excellent recording quality...
592095 FNAC Music
WS001450.JPG

Sampler tracks (track 1 - 7) in YouTube;

Last edited:
OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Paul Beier (archlute): Alessandro Piccinini: "Intravolatura di Liuto, 1623"; wonderful performance and excellent recording quality...
downloaded from magnatune.com
http://magnatune.com/artists/albums/beier-piccinini/
WS001451.JPG

One of the YouTube sampler tracks, "Toccata XII cromatica";

Last edited:
OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:
OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From Heaven on Earth - Hubert Hoffmann, came across this today via Andreas on the other forum, very good.

Hello dear nimar and friends,

As for the composer P. Ferdinand Fischer....

I first badly confused this P. Ferdinand Fischer would be identical to Johann Caspar Ferdinand Fischer (C.1656 - 1746), a German baroque composer who might have influenced on the works of Johann Sebastian Bach...

After careful reading of the booklet of this wonderful recording, I found the composer P. Ferdinand Fischer was fully unknown lutenist/composer recently newly discovered by the lutenist Hubert Hoffann, the artist in this recording. Really interesting story, and of course wonderful and impressive music for us.

I believe a lot of unknown profound splendid lute music would still exists waiting to be discovered in old libraries and/or archives in Europe.

(typos corrected!)

Last edited:
OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tonight, early spring quiet night with just a few pieces cherry blossoms in our garden, let me share this with you all;
The great lutenist Michael Schaeffer played French Baroque Lute Music;
https://www.amazon.com/French-Baroq...=michael+schaeffer+lute&qid=1616067683&sr=8-1
Label : Sony
ASIN : B0000029VU

1. Du Fault (died before 1682): Suite in G minor
2. Jacques Gallot (died circa 1690): Suite in D minor
3. Esaias Reusner (junior) (1636 - 1679): Suite in A minor
4. Johann Gottfried Conradi (died 1699): Suite in A major

Last edited:
OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:
OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Christopher Wilson (lute): La Compagna - Italian Lute Music
Gentle, quiet, warm, relaxing performance and recording, really nice in quiet late evening after daytime hard work...

CDA66233 Hyperion Records Ltd.
WS001465.JPG

You can hear the samplers here.

Last edited:

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Takes time to reach the letter V

@dualazmak
Strange ... Your post's #29 represents the picture on my CD Astrée E8591
There is a small Tower record shop near Shimbashi (Tokyo) but I doubt you can find such records there :p
https://tower.jp/item/14155/Vallet:-Le-Secret-des-Muses---Eugene-Ferre,-et-al

Hello Harmonie,

I highly appreciate your kind participation in this thread with various introductions to nice recordings of lute music which I do not have, or do not aware of.

Yes, the guy posted the YouTube clip I shared in my post #29 looks just only pasted "representative lute painting" he eventually had which was the cover art of Astrée E8591, I assume.

The real CD cover art of "Michael Schaeffer played French Baroque Lute Music" can be found at the amazon site;
https://www.amazon.com/French-Baroq...=michael+schaeffer+lute&qid=1616067683&sr=8-1
Label : Sony, ASIN : B0000029VU

By the way, I could fortunately order this CD (Sony B0000029VU) the day before yesterday at a Japan domestic web store which will soon arrive my home hopefully today! I really love this "Michael Schaeffer played French Baroque Lute Music"...

I know the small Tower record shop near Shimbashi (Tokyo), thank you for your note. Maybe I can find the CD you indicated (new or used) at one of the many online web stores in Japan or abroad.

Last edited:

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bonjour @dualazmak

Thank you for your kind words.

My CD's are all from the 90's and sometimes hard to find.

I think that that it's the Hifi audiophile hobby that gave me taste to such authentic music and get educated.
The French Hifi dedicated magazine NRDS included "test" CD's every 6 months or so and I have almost all of those.
Many excerpts of very well classical recorded music.
This led me to buy the whole CD and leads you to be a "Mélomane" (no such term in English), subscribe to magazines like Diapason discover more classical music aso.
This gives me the idea for 1 or 2 new threads.

BTW Many times when I look for CD references, they are found on Tower records Japan. Great source.
I just hope to be able to travel to Japan again once this s---- is over.

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello friends,

This is a follow-up of our communication in post #29 and post #36 regarding "Michael Schaeffer (Michael Schäffer) played French Baroque Lute Music", Sony-SEON SBK 62952, ASIN : B0000029VU

Yesterday, the actual CD arrived, and since I really love this wonderful recording, let me share the details as follows;

20210322001.jpg

20210322002.jpg

20210322003.jpg

20210322004.jpg

20210322005.jpg

20210322006.jpg

As you may find from the booklet, this wonderful recording was made in 1977, just one year before his very mortifying passing away at the age forty in 1978; this was the "Schwanengesang" of Michael Schaeffer...

The recording was originally released in LP format in 1979, and thanks to the Sony people, the sound quality of this CD release is still really wonderful, considerably better than the sound of YouTube clip (having miss-pasted cover art) below; I highly recommend you to get the actual CD.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Hello friends,

This is a follow-up of our communication in post #29 and post #36 regarding "Michael Schaeffer (Michael Schäffer) played French Baroque Lute Music", Sony-SEON SBK 62952, ASIN : B0000029VU

Yesterday, the actual CD arrived, and since I really love this wonderful recording, let me share the details as follows;

View attachment 119678

View attachment 119680
View attachment 119681

View attachment 119682

View attachment 119683

View attachment 119684

As you may find from this booklet, this wonderful recording was made in 1977, just one year before his very mortifying passing away at the age forty in 1978; this was the "Schwanengesang" of Michael Schaeffer...

The recording was originally released in LP format in 1979, and thanks to the Sony people, the sound quality of this CD release is still really wonderful, considerably better than the sound of YouTube clip (having miss-pasted cover art) below; I highly recommend you to get the actual CD.
This transfer to YouTube is much more recent, don't know if I'm noticing a difference or anticipating a difference, but I make no claims of having golden ears.

Lovely music, playing, and sound.

Robin L

Master Contributor
This collection of French Baroque music for lute is one of my favorites. Great engineering, great playing:

Also [originally] a great Album cover:

R-7788637-1448803729-2950.jpeg.jpg

Top Bottom