• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lute Music and Other Early Music: Stunning Recordings We Love

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello friends, after some while...

This afternoon, I was (again) listening to this very unique album of Glenn Gould with much enjoyment and relieves; I assume many of you may know this:
Glenn Gould: A Consort Of Musicke Bye WILLIAM BYRDE (BYRD) and ORLANDO GIBBONS, 28CD5287 CBS Sony
WS00005207.JPG

You can hear this album on YouTube.

I would highly appreciate if you could suggest/recommend similar stunning recording(s) of Byrd, Gibbons and "that era composer's" Consort Music played by modern piano in this kind of quiet simplest minimalist manner.

Last edited:

Aynsley

This afternoon, I was (again) listening to this very unique album of Glenn Gould with much enjoyment and relieves; I assume many of you may know this:
Glenn Gould: A Consort Of Musicke Bye WILLIAM BYRDE (BYRD) and ORLANDO GIBBONS, 28CD5287 CBS Sony

I didn't know that Gould had recorded such early works. I've come across many ensemble performances of pieces by Byrd and Gibbons, but never on solo piano. Thank you for the introduction. Apple Music has a lossless digitally remastered version of the above album, and I'm listening to it at this moment.

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello @Aynsley and friends,

The really nostalgic arrangements and piano performance of Gibbons Consort Music by Glenn Gould inevitably reminded me listening to original viol tunes of Consorts for Viols by Olrando Gibbons.

Yes, I have this wonderful and heartsease album (highly recommended for you), Phantasm: Orlando GIBBONS Consorts for Violes, recorded at Chapel of Merton Collage, Oxford, UK, 25 - 27 September 2003 having support of Magnatune.com. I purchased this album including impressive track-22 "in Nomine A4 (MB26)" at Magnatune.com site in 2004, but it looks the album is no longer available there.

This afternoon, sunset time, I and my wife were listening to this stunning album with much enjoyments.
WS00005209.JPG

You can hear this album, except for the track-22 "in Nomine A4 (MB26)", on YouTube;

As discogs.com tells;
https://www.discogs.com/ja/master/2679989-Orlando-Gibbons-Phantasm-Consorts-For-Viols
The album is now available from Avie Records UK (AV0032) and Linn UK (BKD 486), but both of them are lack of "the track-22 "In Nomine A4 (MB26)".

It is interesting to find the track-22 "In Nomine A4 (MB26)" and a short reference to Glenn Gould at LINN's download-purchasing site; https://www.linnrecords.com/recording-gibbons-consorts-viols
WS00005216.JPG

charleski

Major Contributor
I was familiar with some of these, but there are a lot of really interesting recommendations to explore in this thread. Thanks a lot!

I note that everyone's been really disciplined and no-one's mentioned ...
Oops. Now I need to run away, hide, change my name and move to another country ... :eek:

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, a little bit out of the scope of this thread, but I assume you too love this;

I touched on this in my post here too.

Aynsley

Thank you @Aynsley,

Just for all of our notice, the organist Genzo Takesiha is a blind artist; he completely lost his sight in age of one due to illness.

Yes, one of the really amazing aspects of the CDs from Misawa Classics and Aeolian Records is excellent recording quality. Mr. Yukio Kojima of Kojima Recordings, Inc. has been participating as recording engineer in production of almost all of the CDs.
I've been returning again and again to Genzo Takehisa's Aeolian recordings, especially Le Rossignol-en-Amour (AEO-513) and Sefauchi's Farewell (AEO-501). Both the recordings and the performances are impeccable, and a delight to listen to.

The same team of Genzo Takehisa + Yukio Kojima were also responsible for a recording of Bach's Goldberg Variations on ALCD-1013. The quality of the recording is again superb, but I find Takehisa's interpretation very distracting, especially his use of ornamentation. To my untrained ear, it sounds as if he sometimes pauses a fraction of a second before striking some notes, whereas all my favourite Goldberg interpretations flow seamlessly. I find this odd, as Takehisa's interpretation of other harpsichord music is sweetly smooth and lyrical.

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello @Aynsley,

I am happy knowing you like some of the performances by Genzo Takehisa recorded by Yuji Kojima.

Yes, I agree with you that Takehisa's Bach Goldberg Variations on ALCD-1013 is someahwt eccentric, and I too feel rather negative on his interpretation.

BTW, what would be your impression on his organ performances in AEO-509, ALCD-1003 and ALCD-1017?

I love all these, especially track-2 of AEO-509 "Herzlich Thut Mich Verlangen / Bach JS" and track-1 of ALCD-1003 Scheidemann "Preambulum in d", as I shared here.

Aynsley

I have three other versions of the Herzlich tut mich verfangen choral prelude (BWV 727) in my collection: Helmut Walcha, Lionel Rogg, and Marie-Claire Alain. Lionel Rogg is the only one I heard performing live. It's interesting to note that all four organists, even Helmut Walcha, chose to play this piece on instruments with a subdued and slightly confined sound. This is especially true of the Genzo Takehisa recording.

I've listened to ALCD-1003 a few times, but can't comment on the interpretation, as I'm not familiar with the work of Scheidemann or Buxtehude. On the Genzo organ performances, have you noticed clattering sounds on some tracks? I don't think they're connected with changes in organ stops, but I could be wrong. Very puzzling!

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for your quick response!

This is especially true of the Genzo Takehisa recording.
Yes, I too feel so.

I don't think they're connected with changes in organ stops, but I could be wrong. Very puzzling!
I feel that I can hear some "organ stops" mechanical action sound.

In ALCD-1003, I can also hear the mechanical action sound given by Kalkant Ms. Makiko Ono who operated the "manual" (hand operating) bellows of "that" small charming organ;
WS00005515.JPG

WS00005517.JPG

WS00004454.JPG

Last edited:

Aynsley

Thank you for drawing my attention to the booklet that came with the ALCD-1003 recording. I read the credits for each track, but didn't read the comments.

It's interesting that the bellows operator is referred to as the "second organist". I understand that expression to mean the assistant who manipulates the stops during the performance. Also interesting is the use of manual bellows. Fan-driven bellows would be soundless and provide a steady and reliable supply of air. Sometimes I think that musicians go too far in attempting to recreate contemporary sonic environments.

One example that comes to mind is the Academy of Ancient Music's rendition of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos played on historically authentic instruments. I appeciate that the result is a performance close to what Bach would have heard, but for me it's unsatisfactory. The brass instruments don't have the range or flexibility of modern equivalents, and the woodwinds (especially the oboes) sound rough and raw.

If Bach could hear his concertos played on modern instruments, I think he'd be delighted. Im sure he'd immediately begin writing sublime music to make use of the improved instruments.

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As for the composer Heinrich Scheidemann, I have this nice CD, 33C37-7492 Denon, performed by Jacques Van Oortmerssen (organ);
WS00005520.JPG

Music707

I'd like to throw in two recommendations: Kapsberger as composer and Hille Perl (viola da gamba) as musician. Hille perl often performs together with Lee Santana (lute/theorbo).

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kapsberger as composer

Thank you for your reminder for Giovanni Girolamo Kapsberger. It is strange that Wikipedia in English spells "Kapsperger" ( in Italian?) in the title, though.

So far, I have only four tracks of Kaspberger's lute music in my ripped CD library, and one from YouTube video clip.

In ripped CD library;
WS00005523.JPG

These are interlude lute, theorbo, chitarrone solo performances by Kenji SANO and Michael FIELDS in really charming lute song albums;
WS00005524.JPG

WS00005525.JPG

I have been being very much fascinated by these Kapsberger's music and performances, as you may fully agree.

As for the CDs from Aeolian Label, please refer to my post #73 on this thread. If you would be seriously interested in listening to these CDs, please simply PM me writing your wish.

Another one I have is downloaded YouTube video performed by Yasunori IMAMURA on theorbo, really wonderful music and performance;

I will soon try to find and purchase the CD performed by Paul O'Dette you kindly suggested.

Last edited:

Aynsley

Another one I have is downloaded YouTube video performed by Yasunori IMAMURA on theorbo, really wonderful music and performance;
Thank you for the YouTube link. I was intrigued by the close-up of his right-hand technique. In the early days of the lute revival many artists adopted the classical guitar style of playing, but my teacher insisted that this was wrong, and that the strings should roll off the pads of the fingers, making for a warmer sound.
I will soon try to find and purchase the CD performed by Paul O'Dette you kindly suggested.
I used to play the lute but haven't kept up with successive generations of talented artists who have made the instrument almost mainstream. Paul O'Dette is one of a dozen or so lutenists I have in my collection. I'm particularly fond of his 5-volume lute works of John Dowland (Harmonia Mundi HMX 2907160.64)

Music707

Thank you for your reminder for Giovanni Girolamo Kapsberger. It is strange that Wikipedia in English spells "Kapsperger" ( in Italian?) in the title, though.

So far, I have only four tracks of Kaspberger's lute music in my ripped CD library, and one from YouTube video clip.

In ripped CD library;
View attachment 286435

These are interlude lute, theorbo, chitarrone solo performances by Kenji SANO and Michael FIELDS in really charming lute song albums;
View attachment 286436

View attachment 286437

I have been being very much fascinated by these Kapsberger's music and performances, as you may fully agree.

As for the CDs from Aeolian Label, please refer to my post #73 on this thread. If you would be seriously interested in listening to these CDs, please simply PM me writing your wish.

Thank you for your kind recommendations which I will gladly take on my list for further listening.

Since Kapsberger seems to be of some interest, here is a list of some more CDs with his music from my collection:

Yavor Genov, Kapsberger: Libro primo d'intavolatura di lauto
Rolf Lislevand, Kapsberger: Libro Quarto D'Intavolatura Di Chitarone
Fred Jacobs, Kapsberger: Virtù e Nobilità

Switching to other musicians/composers the following might be of interest:

José Miguel Moreno, Pièces Pour Théorbes Français
José Miguel Moreno, Robert de Visée: Pièces de théorbe
José Miguel Moreno, Sylvius Leopold Weiss: Ars Melancholiae
Robert Barto & Karl-Ernst Schröder, Weiss: The Dresden Manuscript - Music For Two Lutes

Aynsley

Thank you for your kind recommendations which I will gladly take on my list for further listening.

Since Kapsberger seems to be of some interest, here is a list of some more CDs with his music from my collection:

Yavor Genov, Kapsberger: Libro primo d'intavolatura di lauto
Fred Jacobs, Kapsberger: Virtù e Nobilità

Switching to other musicians/composers the following might be of interest:

José Miguel Moreno, Pièces Pour Théorbes Français
José Miguel Moreno, Sylvius Leopold Weiss: Ars Melancholiae
Robert Barto & Karl-Ernst Schröder, Weiss: The Dresden Manuscript - Music For Two Lutes
Thank you for sharing that list. I wasn't aware of any of the above artists but the music selections are intriguing. I'll definitely try to track down those CDs.

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello @Music707,

Thank you for sharing your nice list.

It is interesting that Wikipedia cited Rolf Liasvand's rather negative comments on the music by Kapsberger in this specific CD, even though he actually recorded this CD!

The features listed above led some modern scholars to share this view and they tend to believe that Kapsberger was a composer of inferior ability. Prominent among these critics is lutenist Rolf Lislevand: in his words, "Kapsberger was as bad a composer as he was a fine instrumentalist [...] The ideas are often badly developed, and are freely associated with one another; no real musical discourse is built up [...] the rhythm—even after serious efforts at fathoming it—wavers between inspired cleverness and total confusion." (Rolf Lislevand, liner notes to "Johann Hieronimus Kapsberger: Libro Quarto d'Intavolatura di Chitarone", 1993. Auvidis/Astrée AS 128515)

Here I believe "Johann Hieronimus Kapsberger" is just the same as "Giovanni Girolamo Kapsberger", right?
It looks we have some confusions for the spelling of the composer' name!:facepalm:
2023-05-20 062601.png

In any way, since I was/am very much impressed with one CD of Rolf Lislevand shared in my post #46, I would like to listen to his performances of Kapsberger's music.

Also please refer to my post here; I shared one of Rolf Lislevand's track as one in my "audio sampler/reference music playlist".

Is this CD identical to the one I shared in my post #4 (SY 98159 Symphonia) ? It looks Yes, I assume. This CD was later-on re-released from Panclassics Label and also Glossa Label, according to Discog.com;
WS00005526.JPG

By the way, in track-7: Sonata C Major “Largo” of this CD, can you clearly hear a bird, Nightingale (Luscinia megarhynchos), wonderfully joining in this midnight recording session at a small quiet chapel? It would be a nice challenge to our audio system.

As for the lute duet music of Weiss, I also very much like the one performed by Edward martin and Paul Berget as shared in my post #3; highly recommended.
WS001431 (1).JPG

I do not have this one, but I have one CD performed by Pascal Monteilhet on theorbo, 592095 FNAC Music, as shared in my post #24.
2023-05-20 064635.png

Sampler tracks (track 1 - 7) in YouTube;

Really enjoyable and highly recommended.

Last edited:

Music707

Hello @Music707,

Thank you for sharing your nice list.

It is interesting that Wikipedia cited Rolf Liasvand's rather negative comments on the music by Kapsberger in this specific CD, even tough he actually recorded this CD!

The features listed above led some modern scholars to share this view and they tend to believe that Kapsberger was a composer of inferior ability. Prominent among these critics is lutenist Rolf Lislevand: in his words, "Kapsberger was as bad a composer as he was a fine instrumentalist [...] The ideas are often badly developed, and are freely associated with one another; no real musical discourse is built up [...] the rhythm—even after serious efforts at fathoming it—wavers between inspired cleverness and total confusion." (Rolf Lislevand, liner notes to "Johann Hieronimus Kapsberger: Libro Quarto d'Intavolatura di Chitarone", 1993. Auvidis/Astrée AS 128515)

Here I believe "Johann Hieronimus Kapsberger" is just the same as "Giovanni Girolamo Kapsberger", right?
It looks we have some confusions for the spelling of the composer' name!:facepalm:
View attachment 286671
In any way, since I was/am very much impressed with one CD of Rolf Lislevand shared in my post #46, I would like to listen to his performances of Kapsberger's music.

Also please refer to my post here; I shared one of Rolf Lislevand's track as one in my "audio sampler/reference music playlist".

Is this CD identical to the one I shared in my post #4 (SY 98159 Symphonia) ? It looks Yes, I assume. This CD was later-on re-released from Panclassics Label and also Glossa Label, according to Discog.com;
View attachment 286665
By the way, in track-7: Sonata C Major “Largo” of this CD, can you clearly hear a bird, Nightingale (Luscinia megarhynchos), wonderfully joining in this midnight recording session at a small quiet chapel? It would be a nice challenge to our audio system.

As for the lute duet music of Weiss, I also very much like the one performed by Edward martin and Paul Berget as shared in my post #3; highly recommended.
View attachment 286735

I do not have this one, but I have one CD performed by Pascal Monteilhet on theorbo, 592095 FNAC Music, as shared in my post #24.
View attachment 286672

Sampler tracks (track 1 - 7) in YouTube;

Really enjoyable and highly recommended.

Thank you for your answer and the additional recommendations therein.

As for the name, this is just the result of having different languages in Europe. The German first name "Johann" simply translates into the Italian "Giovanni". So for Kapsberger being the son of a German nobleman but living and working in Italy I am not surprised at all to see a German and an Italian version of the same name.

Indeed, the Barto & Schröder CD is the same that you already mentioned. Mine is just a more recent edition.

1684575999099.jpeg

So far I could not find the performance of Martin & Berget on CD but fortunately I found a recent youtube video.

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed, the Barto & Schröder CD is the same that you already mentioned. Mine is just a more recent edition.

Oh, the CD cover art of GLOSSA Cabinet version is very beautiful, I like it!

The same for the YouTube background image; I assume it was made/drawn by an image generation AI/Chat-GPT??;) (Her right hand looks very strange, though.)
The sound quality of the YouTube clip is also excellent, almost identical to the original tracks which I download-purchased at magnatune.com in September 2004.

I once contacted with Edward Martin, through magnatune.com, inquiring the hardware/software and venue for recording of this wonderful album. He kindly and simply responded that they recorded at his small home studio using commonly available stereo microphone and his PC. If it is true, Just amazing! I personally assume he (they) would have much advanced recording setups, though...

If you like, you may still purchase the album here at magnatune.com site (the cover art has been changed; I like better the original classical/traditional one).

Last edited:
Top Bottom