• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lumin X1 streamer

thomh

Hi,

First time poster here.

I have been reading up on the Lumin X1 streamer which has received rave reviews from all the usual hi-end online reviewers. So I was interested in hearing for myself what it can deliver.

My current digital setup is Macbook Pro w/Audirvana -> Benchmark DAC3 -> Benchmark HP4A pre -> 2 x Benchmark AHB2 amps -> Harbeth 40.2 Anniversary speakers.

Hooked up both to the HP4A and level matched them as much as possible. Switching between the DAC3 and Lumin X1 I noticed the X1 soundstage was a bit bigger, especially vertically. The sound was softer and rounder (not good at describing such stuff). The DAC3 had a reduced soundstage but the imaging was better. I was listening to Mahler symphonies and the various sections of the orchestra were more defined on the DAC3. The X1 was more "Hi-Fi".

I sent an email to Benchmark about this and they replied that it comes down to filters. The DAC3 use linear phase filters which they believe is truest to the original music.

Reading through the X1 reviews and come across this one in Stereo Magazine:

https://stereo-magazine.com/flipview/30?single=1

It starts on page 12. On page 15 they have a column with some lab tests.

I was intrigued by the Lab comment which read:

"Excellent distortion and noise values. Just the linearity is minimally off, but that is intentional, the gentle drop emphasizes its sonorous character."

So can this "minimally off linearity" describe what I heard? And why would a manufacturer intentionally engineer it like this?

To sound different?

I believe fidelity to source should be the aim but here it seems you are paying $14,000 for a certain sound charactistic.

// Thom

Top Bottom