• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LSR 305 and 308 discontinued.............read below

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They are replaced by the LSR305P mkII and 308P mkII and a new 6 inch 306PmkII.

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/3-series-mkii

https://www.jbl.com/3-series-mkii-studio-monitors/

Update looks minor. Well nearly nothing other than the 6 inch model.

So should one with LSR305 speakers replace them with the mkII entries (with ugly glossy face)?

Or does one look for half price sales on remaining 1st gen models and set up that 13 speaker Auro3D surround rig on has suddenly on his mind?

Or maybe stick with the plan of getting the 705's with expectation they are much better?
1st world problems........................................

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure if it's super minor... New transducers! Doesn't say if it's the woofer or the tweeter or both, though. In any case, better transducers will probably make them sound even better. They say "optimized transient response and improved linearity", which may turn out to be a substantial improvement, if it holds water. And the boundary eq can be very useful for setups where there's no other way of doing eq.

Biggest no-no for me is the color. The white ones which were introduced recently were the only ones I could live with. Bought a pair for one of my best friends when his girlfriend dumped him. Cheered him up. Doesn't seem like there's any white version with the new ones.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I'm not sure if it's super minor... New transducers! Doesn't say if it's the woofer or the tweeter or both, though. In any case, better transducers will probably make them sound even better. They say "optimized transient response and improved linearity", which may turn out to be a substantial improvement, if it holds water. And the boundary eq can be very useful for setups where there's no other way of doing eq.

Biggest no-no for me is the color. The white ones which were introduced recently were the only ones I could live with. Bought a pair for one of my best friends when his girlfriend dumped him. Cheered him up. Doesn't seem like there's any white version with the new ones.
JBL speakers Remedies for the heart :D

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Reading elsewhere it looks like the improved transient response is from how much ferrofluid they use in the tweeter. It was determined it worked better with less. Looks like the woofer might be an improved unit. Yet all the specs for the device are the same. Or maybe they use less ferrofluid because less is cheaper and the woofer is too.

The low end improvement for boundary use is underwhelming too. Before you had low end adjustments of +2, 0 and -2db. Now you have 0, -1.5 db and -3 db.

Sylafari

Wonder if the black gloss in front was inspired from the Massdrop version of the 305. I own the Massdrop pair and I have to say they look way better in real life, but I understand all gloss black finish is not everyone's cup of tea. But man is the original LSR 305 amazing, one of the rare few audio products I have owned that has flat out impressed me.

To only have a portion of the front of the new 305 MK II be black gloss is a bit weird though.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wonder if the black gloss in front was inspired from the Massdrop version of the 305. I own the Massdrop pair and I have to say they look way better in real life, but I understand all gloss black finish is not everyone's cup of tea. But man is the original LSR 305 amazing, one of the rare few audio products I have owned that has flat out impressed me.

To only have a portion of the front of the new 305 MK II be black gloss is a bit weird though.

Agreed that the LSR305 is amazing.

I have some older gloss piano black all over speakers and they are good looking. The part glossy to me makes it look like you are trying to fancy up a cheap speaker which instead makes it look cheap. Of course then there are those red ones they made. Haha!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I just ordered a pair of the new series LSR305p MKII. It is $149 with shipping from Amazon. Amazon has the older one for $129 but I see other places with as low as $99. So quite tempting to get the older series but what the heck. Who wants to own the last year's model of anything? :D

I will be pairting them with an Amazon Echo Dot to play music in my woodshop. :D Voice control. Unlimited music. And hopefully nice sound with the LSR305p.

Will test them a bit in the lab before shipping them to the workshop.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just ordered a pair of the new series LSR305p MKII. It is $149 with shipping from Amazon. Amazon has the older one for $129 but I see other places with as low as $99. So quite tempting to get the older series but what the heck. Who wants to own the last year's model of anything? :D

I will be pairting them with an Amazon Echo Dot to play music in my woodshop. :D Voice control. Unlimited music. And hopefully nice sound with the LSR305p.

So you going to do speaker testing now too? What will be the methodology? REW is one I would recommend. Something I keep meaning to do is take mine outside and do an indoor vs outdoor comparison using REW.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reading elsewhere it looks like the improved transient response is from how much ferrofluid they use in the tweeter. It was determined it worked better with less. Looks like the woofer might be an improved unit. Yet all the specs for the device are the same. Or maybe they use less ferrofluid because less is cheaper and the woofer is too.

Hm. Hope somebody will be able to test this. How does one test "transient response"?

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hm. Hope somebody will be able to test this. How does one test "transient response"?

REW uses a sweep to give you impulse response. They are mathematically the same. Now what did JBL mean by transient response? Who knows. Sounds good on a marketing blurb.

Sylafari

How is the Amazon Echo Dot's AUX Out (is it mysteriously noisy or anything)?

And also I got to know when you get the MKII if they hiss like the LSR305's do at idle.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Candlesticks

The success of the JBL LSR305 makes me very happy. It sounds great for the price and has brought a lot of new people into high fidelity audio because it's been frequently sold at $100 per speaker. Hifi manufacturers could never achieve the economies of scale to make something like it and even if they did it would be passive. My only complaint has been that the balanced input needs to be used to avoid noise from the computer through USB.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

SPFC

Very nice Amir. Any idea when they will be arriving? It will be interesting to hear how their sound compares to other Harman speakers you have heard - JBL and Revel.

Top Bottom