• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LSA Voyager GaN 350 Teardown (Class D Amp)

sam_adams

Major Contributor
module.png

Hmm . . .

easps.png

Ahem . . .

Not much here, either: http://www.elegantaudiosolutions.com/

Check the location page. A Google map location for some McMansion in Texas . . .

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
An end user ground connection cannot be an mechanical assembly screw. This is not a end user connection.

I assumed there is be a metal standoff. Let's hope the paint/anodizing has been removed and that a proper screw/washer is used that will cut through oxidation.

Class-2 is under 100 watts so this can't be class 2. Let's hope the standoffs are tall enough for isolation. The AC wires look suitable and use insulated terminals. They should be mechanically stabilized.
Ha

I knew the end user connection clause once, but had forgotten - thanks for the reminder. I may bave been aware of the power limit also for class 2 - but don't remember. Never mind I was just a project manager. I had cats to herd for the real detail :cool:

audio2design

Major Contributor
Hmm . . .

Ahem . . .

Not much here, either: http://www.elegantaudiosolutions.com/

Check the location page. A Google map location for some McMansion in Texas . . .

The owner of Elegant, Skip Taylor, was, to my understanding part (through Elegant?) one of the founders of D2Audio, which was bought by Intersil (and then bought by Renesas). He was running their technical operation throughout. I am sure the purchase by Intersil helped with the McMansion :) He is definitely legit and would fit in here and probably have much more to teach than learn.

I was not aware of them doing any volume stuff though, so this could just be a modern implementation of a reference design. It certainly bears a lot of similarity to the reference designs they did for GaN Systems right down to the EMI filter architecture, poor MOV placement :), etc.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The one on the PSU is due to the MOV. If you have a MOV you need a fuse. They would be effectively in series.
Sorry to be ignorant but what’s MOV?

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to be ignorant but what’s MOV?
Metal oxide varistor. Normally used (IIRC) to prevent transient overvoltage spikes/surges from the mains reaching the PSU. They are high resistance up to a certain voltage, but then go low resistance to clamp/limit the voltage.

I'm not sure where the requirement for a fuse comes from, unless you are using them to clamp a longer duration over-voltage rather than transient disturbances. But that is not an application I've seen them used for in the past.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Metal oxide varistor. Normally used (IIRC) to prevent transient overvoltage spikes/surges from the mains reaching the PSU. They are high resistance up to a certain voltage, but then go low resistance to clamp/limit the voltage.

I'm not sure where the requirement for a fuse comes from, unless you are using them to clamp a longer duration over-voltage rather than transient disturbances. But that is not an application I've seen them used for in the past.
Thank you.

It looks like the PCB module manufacturer and the amplifier manufacturer are protecting themselves independently.

wwenze

Major Contributor
Because MOV can fail shorted.

audio2design

Major Contributor

They fail short or near short. The fuse is to protect wiring and prevent excessive thermal events. It's a compliance requirement.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think rotating the center SMPS 180 degrees will shorten the wiring and will be neat.
I wouldn't stop there. I will rotate the amplifier boards 90 degrees and swap speaker and input connectors. That way you do not have to cross input and output cables and be able to use even shorter cables.

I cannot believe any sane person did this alignment and is happy with the result.

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Really unfortunate! A potentially good product damaged by poor workmanship and QC failure.
A shame, really…

Hiten

I wouldn't stop there. I will rotate the amplifier boards 90 degrees and swap speaker and input connectors. That way you do not have to cross input and output cables and be able to use even shorter cables.
Yes indeed.
Also internal Speaker wire can be twisted no need to use tie band., best would to clamp (Plastic clamp) to chassis (Just like vintage tube amps wire routing near chassis) (so no flapping around when in transit). The 5 wires from power supply can be twisted depending on ground wire. I love symmetry but two selection switches for RCA and XLR will need attention when switching. A single switch at proper place would be great. A little ventilation (Though i understand it will not produce heat much) will also benefit as one doesn't know how long music sessions one would listen.
I have very rudimentary knowledge so posted what I learnt from different forums.
Regards
Edit : pardon. I see some things are already mentioned.

Last edited:

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
Based on #33 comments, I visited:

The illustrations are , to my poorly trained eye, well done. Please, those of you who are more knowledgeable than I, take a look at the site and give an opinion.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not really sure what we are looking at in the pic. There are XLR connectors inside the layout that go nowhere and the wires are a bit of a spiders web. I think it's just a pic of stuff that is not really meant to serve a purpose. It's probably just stuff assembled to make a picture and not a actual thing one can buy from what I can tell.

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
I'm not really sure what we are looking at in the pic. There are XLR connectors inside the layout that go nowhere and the wires are a bit of a spiders web. I think it's just a pic of stuff that is not really meant to serve a purpose. It's probably just stuff assembled to make a picture and not a actual thing one can buy from what I can tell.
Too bad… I rather like the GaN idea, although not enough to spend $$ to find out. My preference runs to Made in USA, with the UK next. Benchmark DAC/Pre and amps with Quad, Harbeth and KEF (although I think the KEF are manufactured in PRC).

Top Bottom