• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LSA Voyager GaN 350 Teardown (Class D Amp)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a follow up teardown of the review of LSA Voyager GaN 350 Class D amplifier. The motivation was to diagnose the problem with balanced input in one channel.

Four screws allow the top to come off, exposing the whole unit:
Living Sound Audio Voyager GAN 350 Teardown Class D stereo amplifier.jpg

[click on image for larger size]

Architecture is dead simple and no different than many amplifiers built by individuals. We have two amplifier boards and a switching power supply. Both modules are built by a company called Elegant Audio Solutions (EAS). I looked them up and they are a consulting company based in Texas. Whether they produced these generically and are now selling them or did the design for LSA, I am not sure. There is no mention of these modules on their website.

What is fascinating is that each amplifier module is stereo! They are wired in bridge mode, doubling their power and likely doubling their noise+distortion. With a bit of wiring, you can convert this into a four (4) channel amplifier at half the power.

The quality of the modules looks first class to me. PCB is very nice as capacitors are top brand, Japanese Nichicon and Rubicon. A thick, aluminum plate under all three modules acts as a heat spreader/heatsink. All of this is a clear step above Hypex amplifiers as a reference.

I can't tell if the plat is properly attached to the chassis with thermal grease, removal of anodization, etc. I let the unit run at dual 5 watts for a few minutes but could not feel any rise in the temperature of the aluminum block.

On to the problem, it was very sloppy soldering job of the wires to the XLR connectors. One pin had lost its adhesion and was just barely touching the XLR pin through its sleeve and hence the reason I got some signal through it. I soldered that properly and the unit works fine now. I went over a few other joints that were the same for good measure. Here is a close up:

Living Sound Audio Voyager GAN 350 Poor XLR Connection Teardown Class D stereo amplifier.jpg

What is odd is that soldering job on the rest of the connectors was very good. Seems like two different people worked on it. It was a trivial 2 second job for me to re-solder the wires so it was not their make up that made it hard to get a good joint.

Here are new measurements with XLR balanced input:

Living Sound Audio Voyager GAN 350 Measurements Balanced XLR Class D stereo amplifier.png

In the review thread someone reported a missing screw on one of the connectors. This is indeed the case.

Conclusions
This was an expensive amplifier. Part of that seems to be due to very high quality of module implementation and the fact that there are four amplifiers here, not two. Strange that the company is going after audiophile market yet bridged this amp for higher power.

LSA's only job seems to have been the wiring where they partially did a very good job, and partially a horrible one. Given the $3,000 retail cost, this is not acceptable. Visual inspection alone would have shown the problem here and so would have electrical testing.

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Seems like an odd layout of the modules, particularly the power supply. Surprisingly there isn't more mains noise, but maybe only (not noticeable) because the noise floor is so high.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like a company that really wanted to offer a top-flight product but failed in the execution by not sweating the small details—like the poor solder job and decision to bridge two Stereo modules.

Last edited:

Poseidons Voice

Forum Donor
Amir,

Unless my eyes are deceiving me there is something else that is amiss here. Why would you use an XLR connector that is meant for a PCB attachment instead of using one that is for thru hole design? It makes no sense other than budget. Which makes less sense with a $3K retail price. And what’s worst is the very mediocre to poor measurements overall. A SINAD of 82-83 dB with a soaring closed loop gain of 29dB? Poor implementation of a poor design imho.

Is there a chassis ground? Perhaps? What about the green wire? Next, look at that chassis plate. There is a bridge rectifier that appears to be wired as a ground loop breaker.

Best,
Anand.

robos

They are wired in bridge mode, doubling their power and likely doubling their noise+distortion.
If done properly, bridge mode cancels even order harmonics. That's clearly seen on FFT.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Not tempted to test one module in stereo mode?
Not when the thing costs $3,000! If it were mine, sure, I would hack it and see what it does. I also have more stuff to test....

audio2design

Major Contributor
- Elegant Audio Systems designed the GAn Systems reference design if I am not mistaken

- Are they achieving chassis grounding via the ground connector to the power supply? It suspect that may connect to the PCB under the screw and then the screw to the chassis. Locking connector, so likely would meet UL, and should meet the <0.1 ohm requirement

1637207166794.png

- Agree with robos on a classic linear amplifier where the phase of the distortion will be the same or close in the inverted channel, but not guaranteed on Class-D

- I am not a fan of the massive number of small capacitors as opposed to fewer larger capacitors. There can be advantages for heat dissipation if they are spaced out (they are not here), but electrolytic capacitors are not just a wear point, they are a significant random failure point and the more there are, the more random failures. If you tag off values used in high volume markets, they can be quite cost effective.

H-713

Larger numbers of small capacitors is an advantage from an ESL and ESR standpoint, which is probably part of why it was done that way. It's also an advantage from a mechanical point of view, as bigger parts = more stress on the board.

They are also a royal PITA to replace since they're all glued together into a block...

Pick your poison.

Lambda

Major Contributor
What a comically bad soldering job...
And the XLR connector is made for PCB mount and not to solder cable to it...

This "manufactur" had one simple job...
Put the pre maid module in a box.
And they did everything as bad as possible.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There is a bridge rectifier that appears to be wired as a ground loop breaker.
I think that is the main bridge rectifier on the front-end of the power supply. I was happy to see it separated and put on the heatsink as I have seen these blow first when the power supply is stressed.

Good point on use of PCB mount XLR connector.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is there a chassis ground?
I meant to mention this. There is no connection anywhere to the chassis. Whether it is floating or not, is something I should have tested but forgot. :)

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
They are wired in bridge mode, doubling their power and likely doubling their noise+distortion
[...]
Strange that the company is going after audiophile market yet bridged this amp for higher power.
Do you feel the increased noise+distortion would be audible?

I suspect this may have been a pretty good tradeoff, considering the oodles of (relatively) clean headroom gained in the process?

audio2design

Major Contributor
Larger numbers of small capacitors is an advantage from an ESL and ESR standpoint, which is probably part of why it was done that way. It's also an advantage from a mechanical point of view, as bigger parts = more stress on the board.

They are also a royal PITA to replace since they're all glued together into a block...

Pick your poison.

When you take the layout into account, the ESR is rarely much better (ditto ESL), but you can get a boost in ripple current rating. However, for a Class-D audio amplifier, ripple current is practically inconsequential with reasonable quality caps for switch modes. It will be pretty easy to hit the peak required ripple current rating, and the average ripple current will be a small fraction of the rating having little impact on life.

Since they are "glueing them to the board", the same can be done for larger capacitors eliminating mechanical stress. There is a happy medium. These look like 12.5x20mm, which are the highest volume/lowest cost for power supplies, at least for lower voltages (<=100, and I would say <=63). On the primary side, not so much for high voltage.

audio2design

Major Contributor
Since we are nitpicking, if they moved the MOV to after the common modes, it would provide more protection though in a supply like this, the bridge is just dumping into a large capacitor bank so it is probably pretty immune.

1637211904864.png

audio2design

Major Contributor
I meant to mention this. There is no connection anywhere to the chassis. Whether it is floating or not, is something I should have tested but forgot. :)

See my post above. Likely through the AC ground connection to the power supply, then through the PCB via the screw just right on the AC connector. You can see the PCB is plated under the screw there.

respice finem

Major Contributor
This is a follow up teardown of the review of LSA Voyager GaN 350 Class D amplifier. The motivation was to diagnose the problem with balanced input in one channel.

Four screws allow the top to come off, exposing the whole unit:
View attachment 166258
[click on image for larger size]

Architecture is dead simple and no different than many amplifiers built by individuals. We have two amplifier boards and a switching power supply. Both modules are built by a company called Elegant Audio Solutions (EAS). I looked them up and they are a consulting company based in Texas. Whether they produced these generically and are now selling them or did the design for LSA, I am not sure. There is no mention of these modules on their website.

What is fascinating is that each amplifier module is stereo! They are wired in bridge mode, doubling their power and likely doubling their noise+distortion. With a bit of wiring, you can convert this into a four (4) channel amplifier at half the power.

The quality of the modules looks first class to me. PCB is very nice as capacitors are top brand, Japanese Nichicon and Rubicon. A thick, aluminum plate under all three modules acts as a heat spreader/heatsink. All of this is a clear step above Hypex amplifiers as a reference.

I can't tell if the plat is properly attached to the chassis with thermal grease, removal of anodization, etc. I let the unit run at dual 5 watts for a few minutes but could not feel any rise in the temperature of the aluminum block.

On to the problem, it was very sloppy soldering job of the wires to the XLR connectors. One pin had lost its adhesion and was just barely touching the XLR pin through its sleeve and hence the reason I got some signal through it. I soldered that properly and the unit works fine now. I went over a few other joints that were the same for good measure. Here is a close up:

View attachment 166272

What is odd is that soldering job on the rest of the connectors was very good. Seems like two different people worked on it. It was a trivial 2 second job for me to re-solder the wires so it was not their make up that made it hard to get a good joint.

Here are new measurements with XLR balanced input:

View attachment 166273

In the review thread someone reported a missing screw on one of the connectors. This is indeed the case.

Conclusions
This was an expensive amplifier. Part of that seems to be due to very high quality of module implementation and the fact that there are four amplifiers here, not two. Strange that the company is going after audiophile market yet bridged this amp for higher power.

LSA's only job seems to have been the wiring where they partially did a very good job, and partially a horrible one. Given the $3,000 retail cost, this is not acceptable. Visual inspection alone would have shown the problem here and so would have electrical testing.

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Sometimes it takes so little to ruin an otherwise good project... For those of us who can solder properly, it's probably better to take "standard" modules and DIY. BTW, just for elegance sake, turning the two PCBs around would allow for shortening the wiring by roughly 50%.

wwenze

Major Contributor
Who remember the reply from manufacturer? This is going to get awkward.

After reading this review, a friend of mine who ordered this amp and has yet to received it emailed LSA. Below is LSA's reply:

"We have not ever heard from these guys about an amp that was obviously wired incorrectly. It would seem to be common practice to call a manufacturer when you look at an amp with an obvious issue. This seems to be common practice with these people. They seem to be more about "I got ya". I have had 3 other quality manufacturers call me with the same complaint.

It is interesting that they only measure and don't listen to products. I thought it was the sound that matter?? I know of no other audio publication that does not listen to the products they evaluate.

We know about the other measurement issues they report but felt that like a lot of high end products it is the sound that counts. Our users seem to feel the same way and all love the amp. The GaN amp has amazing mids and highs that are extremely tube-like.

In addition, whoever the customer was who loaned the amp to them must have only used it with RCA's as a 9dB channel imbalance is clearly audible and you would have to be deaf not to hear that. We have not heard from any customer about a channel imbalance issue so we are not sure if this entire thing is a setup.

I have now sold 50 amps and customer feedback has been exceptional. They all love the amp. I have attached some user feedback. These are real listeners.

Again, I make no excuses for the wiring issue and it is entirely on our supplier and us. However, I am virtually certain that your amp is wired correctly and sounds great.

We typically do not offer trails on our products but have given a 30 day trial with a 15% restocking charge to a few skeptical US customers and have yet to take an amp back. I would offer you the same deal with the International freight as well.

Walter"

The plot thickens... o_O :facepalm: :eek:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm ,

In this picture, I cannot see exactly what is happening at the balanced connector, but it looks like the balanced input is not wired properly. It looks like IN- and GND are simply connected together:
Yeh, the picture makes it hard to see but there are three separate wires. And they go to corresponding socket on the amp.

Top Bottom