• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LSA Voyager GAN 350 Review (Stereo Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 55 23.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters

GimeDsp

Not a good showing so far for Gan in home audio. At least the car amp was good.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
Not a good showing so far for Gan in home audio. At least the car amp was good.
It was good, but it was not superior to where the market is. I get the impression we are trying to solve a problem that don't exist.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find that already weird to have the two RCA Channels spread appart and separated by the Power chord. That would split them even more, Most RCA cables are two channels.
In for a penny, in for a pound.

You can also rotate the PS 90 degrees, move it to the front of the case with power coming in and running along the side. Maybe even but a barrier along the run. Then turn the amps 90 degrees each. RCAs then on the inside together, flanked XLR, and then speaker plugs. That could all happen in the same case. I'd still want some partitions considering the price.

dguillor

Forum Donor
I think the real advantage of GAN will be cost. We already have class D that’s better than we can hear. The faster switching speeds will allow using less expensive capacitors and inductors.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The commodification of power amplifcation in the hifi space has been a delightful thing to see.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't give Golfing Panther, but I did give it Fine. Here's my logic:

1. Price is not a factor. $3k is not $30k and we don't need a technical review to judge the price. The review should be on the merits.
2. There is a floating lead and that should be fixed, but it should not affect the review. Would you downgrade a car being reviewed because it has a flat tire? Of course not.
3. The multitone shows very little distortion in the audible band, basically -109 dB. Crosstalk is exceptional.
4. The FR is +/- 0.5dB except for 4 ohms over 15 hz. How many of us can hear -1 dB at 20kHz, or 17 kHz for that matter? None of us.
5. 382 WPC at the elbow is pretty Fine.

Sometimes I think we hyperventilate over the smallest measurable things that are not remotely audible.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
Please link me to a Hypex amp with 400 WPC so I can see the price.

ta240

Major Contributor
2. There is a floating lead and that should be fixed, but it should not affect the review. Would you downgrade a car being reviewed because it has a flat tire? Of course not.

Is that the equivalent of a new car with a flat tire or a new car with a tie-rod end not connected? One I would downgrade in the review and the other I wouldn't.

pma

Major Contributor
4. The FR is +/- 0.5dB except for 4 ohms over 15 hz. How many of us can hear -1 dB at 20kHz, or 17 kHz for that matter? None of us

That’s completely wrong view. The speaker is never a pure resistance, it is a complex impedance of R, L, C parts with phase response from -45 degrees to +45 degrees as a rule. With output LC filter this often makes up to 2dB deviations near to 10kHz and this is very audible. I have shown measurements of this behaviour with real speakers many times in ASR, however the effort is hopeless. Same simplified reasoning based on resistor load arrives over and over. Most posters remain on the surface and do not see deeper into the problem.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. Head-to-head that is certainly a better choice, IMO. Interesting that Amir noted a wiring error in this unit as well but chose to fix it before completing the review. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-and-measurements-of-nord-one-nc500-amp.7704/

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s completely wrong view. The speaker is never a pure resistance, it is a complex impedance of R, L, C parts with phase response from -45 degrees to +45 degrees as a rule. With output LC filter this often makes up to 2dB deviations near to 10kHz and this is very audible. I have shown measurements of this behaviour with real speakers many times in ASR, however the effort is hopeless. Same simplified reasoning based on resistor load arrives over and over. Most posters remain on the surface and do not see deeper into the problem.
PMA, I will certainly defer to your knowledge of those things you mention, however, they seem to me outside the scope of Amir's review.

While those fluctuations may, indeed, be audible, I stand by my statement about audibility of 1 dB at 20 kHz. This unit shows no deviation at all at 10 Hz, which is the situation you reference.

Since we don't have your mentioned situation measured for this unit or for any other unit it's impossible to make an apples-to-apples comparison.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Thanks. Head-to-head that is certainly a better choice, IMO. Interesting that Amir noted a wiring error in this unit as well but chose to fix it before completing the review. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-and-measurements-of-nord-one-nc500-amp.7704/
I DIYed this, but in two monoblocs. Very happy with them. Haven't measured to see if there is a benefit in having 2 separate boxes but in all case it's more than good enough for my ears and audio chain. Looks like it's not the absolute Hypex champ in term of measured Sinad and such but there's a point where it's just enough. it delivers lots of power and that matter to me.

ta240

Major Contributor

The "scientific" method. Once you get the results you want, you just stop looking.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I really dislike the hard to read type on the back.
To me, it is fairly obvious what was the matter with you: I think it was the lack java that made your hands shake while taking the photo.
;)
But what is more important is 'what was the matter with' designer: I think maybe he should have sought an audiologist for his L/R ear 'gain mismatch'.
NOTE: Can we get the PinkPanther's head back for an additional checkbox?
I know it would be a big ask to put red lipstick on it to get the message across!

Last edited:
Top Bottom