• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LS60 placement help needed

Hi All -

Inspired by Kal's recent stereophile review, I am awaiting newly purchased LS60s + 2 x SVS sb-3000s. These are my first pair of speakers and I have no idea where or how to place them.

I've attached a floor plan.

The ceilings in my house are 8' and the clap test makes all the rooms, including the largest, sound pretty resonant. I plan on doing DSP.

Here are my thoughts:
  • Option A: The largest room, but I can't install any room treatments. There's also quite a bit of floor-to-ceiling glass.
  • Option B: A small room, also no room treatments. A helpful commentator on a previous thread (when I was thinking about which speakers to buy) suggested I angle them in here to bound the bass out through the opening into room D:
  • Option C: I could get a way with a few $k in room treatments here, but I also need to have a queen bed here
  • Option D (unlabeled on plan--the room with all the windows just under Option B): the nicest room and the one where I frequently hang out, but all that floor-to-ceiling glass--probably way too much reflection? I gather some forms of glass can help with reverb, but getting all new glass is unlikely to get the SO's OK for now. Also, the ceiling slopes to 7'
So I'm thinking its down to A or C. Is a larger untreated room better than a smaller somewhat treated room? If I do put them in A, where should I put them given the room asymmetry and glass?

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• Home Floorplan-1.pdf
    961.6 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Top Bottom