• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LS50 vs LS50 Meta Comparison

Descartes

Major Contributor
That’s amazing they sell them for that low in Germany!

In France they are 1,299€!

Are you sure it’s ligit?

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That’s amazing they sell them for that low in Germany!
Most shops have them form 1000€-1200€.
Some open box pairs are even less expensive. The LS50 (non meta) I have now were 650€.
Not sure if the Meta are worth 400-500€ more post EQ

Descartes

Major Contributor
I just purchased a new pair of Metas for $1000.
Tonight I listened for the 1st time. Naked (no subs, no PEQ) with the exception of a 48hrs LR4 high pass.
Very impressed by the 1st round.
Very clean sound, yet for the 1st time ever with a KEF speaker I was bobbing my head a little and moving with the tunes.
This is a good sign for me and the R3, Q350, and Q150 while being good sounding speakers, never really drew me in so hopefully these META's continue to.
I did basic HD testing and like others found the little speaker will likely work better with a high pass near 50hrz in 2.0 and a higher intersection with subs in 2.2 if one wants some SPL. I will start with 125hrs to two subs in the front of the space.
Anyway tonight I also did 1st sessions with the B&W 706 S2 and the Focal Chora 806 prior to the Meta.
The Chora 806 has a brighter yet thin sound quality (in other words tinny) coupled with a very obvious level of cabinet coloration.
The B&W 706 S2 is also bright but somehow very, very engaging and full sounding like an aggressive person that for some reason you are into what they are laying down. I was actually impressed and enjoyed the petal to the metal vibe and it was hard to stop and switch the KEF set in.
Anyway what is interesting is just how clean and not 'tinny' and not 'cabinety' the KEF sounded vs the Focal and how pristine and neutral vs the B&W... And not thinking about other speakers just how much sound that tiny little driver was able to put out with good dynamics and overall satisfying richness. So excited to address a couple room issues and go 2.2 with subs on these.(and eventually see how hey hang with the M126be's)

I would be curious to experience/replicate your tests. Very interesting and thanks for sharing. Wether it is quiet cabs, meta, crossover excellence and/or neutral response the set of META LS50's has made a very high quality 1st impression on me tonight.

&yes I paid $1k new. Maybe I was lucky, make your moves though as inflation might be motivating all types of dealers.
Where?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Incredible in the US they are ripping us off!!
What about ordering in the EU? Shipping can’t be that much, but I am not familiar with US import tax. Maybe worthwhile running the numbers.

juliangst

Might be worth it but I suspect that most dealers aren’t willing to ship to the US.

ethernode

Hello, just acquired a pair on non meta LS50 for 380€ new (nice sale from a large shop here in France). I have a minidsp 2x4, and i'm interested in trying to make it more neutral (closer to the meta)..1000€ metas (sale price) is too much for my taste if I can improve it.

> In order to PEQ the speakers to match the OP had to use anechoic data not in room data.

Can anyone share PEQ settings used ? Even better, minidsp compatible data ? Or any hints on where to get the anechoic data and use it to generate PEQ ?

Thanks !

OP
A

aarons915

Forum Donor
Hello, just acquired a pair on non meta LS50 for 380€ new (nice sale from a large shop here in France). I have a minidsp 2x4, and i'm interested in trying to make it more neutral (closer to the meta)..1000€ metas (sale price) is too much for my taste if I can improve it.

> In order to PEQ the speakers to match the OP had to use anechoic data not in room data.

Can anyone share PEQ settings used ? Even better, minidsp compatible data ? Or any hints on where to get the anechoic data and use it to generate PEQ ?

Thanks !

These are what I use based on the Soundstage measurements, I use those because they more closely match up with my in-room measurements. I used the 15, 30, 45 and 60 degree curves to prioritize since 15 degrees is my direct sound and up to 60 degrees covers all the early reflections.

LS50EQ.PNG

ethernode

Thanks. But if I understand correctly these are based on your own in-room response, so I should not apply them, right ?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These are what I use based on the Soundstage measurements, I use those because they more closely match up with my in-room measurements. I used the 15, 30, 45 and 60 degree curves to prioritize since 15 degrees is my direct sound and up to 60 degrees covers all the early reflections.
I have also created my own "listening window" averages based on my own gated measurements of my original and Meta LS50 for equalising above 500 Hz, which also seem to match the Soundstage measurements closer than the ASR ones.

Original LS50:

1675940464873.png

LS50 Meta:

1675940526618.png

OP
A

aarons915

Forum Donor
Thanks. But if I understand correctly these are based on your own in-room response, so I should not apply them, right ?

No I mentioned they are from the soundstage measurements which uses the anechoic chamber at the NRC.

ethernode

Ok, sorry I did not understand that you referred to a website called Soundstage (which I did not know) which provides measurements done at the National Research Council of Canada -- the term soundstage is pretty generic ;)

That would be this resource then:

They do provide the raw data too or only graphs ?

Thanks, now I know better

juliangst

EQ based on room measurements can also work if done through good software.
I recently acquired a Dirac Live license (red measurement) and full range correction improved my LS50 a lot.

Not sure if it’s even worth upgrading to the Meta at this point.

This is with a 8“ sub BTW

4EAEA811-7E4D-42E5-964D-1F4376E826B5.jpeg

Leon7791

Hey Guys,

I built an 5 Speaker Setup with the O Ls50 but i needed to know how doese the meta compare to this and is it worth the money and how much doese roomeq like Audyssey XT32 influence the comparision.

So i bought one Meta Speaker and compare them with and with out Audyssey.

Without any Eq the Meta are realy better. They are softer with better imaging!

I first though wow but after calibration wiith Audyssey xt32 on my denon x4500h there was no more difference. They sound like the same speaker. If im use to pick any difference i would say the ls50 sounds 2-3% brighter in the highs.

My Problem is now that i lile so much the white Metas that i will change it to the ls50 someday

Here my comparision video:

Descartes

Major Contributor
Hey Guys,

I built an 5 Speaker Setup with the O Ls50 but i needed to know how doese the meta compare to this and is it worth the money and how much doese roomeq like Audyssey XT32 influence the comparision.

So i bought one Meta Speaker and compare them with and with out Audyssey.

Without any Eq the Meta are realy better. They are softer with better imaging!

I first though wow but after calibration wiith Audyssey xt32 on my denon x4500h there was no more difference. They sound like the same speaker. If im use to pick any difference i would say the ls50 sounds 2-3% brighter in the highs.

My Problem is now that i lile so much the white Metas that i will change it to the ls50 someday

Here my comparision video:

Interesting! Would you buy the meta again knowing what you know?

Leon7791

Interesting! Would you buy the meta again knowing what you know?

Defently no! They sound too similar, i bought them only because i love the white ones.

I cant understand why people say the are so much better.

Top Bottom