• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LS50 vs LS50 Meta Comparison

Descartes

Major Contributor
I love the kef og ls50, more so then the kef reference which I have. My only wish would be that the ls50 had a bit more headroom for dynamic range for movies.

To fix this my idea is to stack kef ls50 in LCR e.g. Left 1 and left 2 have independent channels so can be time and phase aligned independently. Then same for centre and right.

I would keep approx 30 cm vertical gap between each to minimise cancellation.

I have a Trinnov altitude so I can have basically any channel configuration I want. Timing can be dialed in to 0.01ms and level matching is very precise. I can also use active crossover feature and let the Trinnov align each channel as if I was aligning 2 drivers of an active speaker and basicly set the high pass and low pass filter to 1.

Does anyone see an issue with this or has anyone tried anything like this, maybe lessons learned?
Why would you do that with a Trinnov!

Descartes

Major Contributor
I'm not sure what you mean, the Trinnov is quite flexible and has these capabilities/features.

I don't think the Trinnov would have a problem here.
Spending so much money on a processor and not having better speakers!

Impossible

'Better', is in the eye of the beholder, here's a picture of my kef reference and my genelec 8361a.

But I like the kef ls50 better (apart from dynamic range) behind them is wisdom audio L150m which blows both of these away and would be a contender for end game for many people.

I still prefer the kef ls50 tonality and transient response over these and others I've heard and ex owned.

Attachments

• 20240307_153317.jpg
    20240307_153317.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
OP
A

aarons915

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I love the kef og ls50, more so then the kef reference which I have. My only wish would be that the ls50 had a bit more headroom for dynamic range for movies.

To fix this my idea is to stack kef ls50 in LCR e.g. Left 1 and left 2 have independent channels so can be time and phase aligned independently. Then same for centre and right.

I would keep approx 30 cm vertical gap between each to minimise cancellation.

I have a Trinnov altitude so I can have basically any channel configuration I want. Timing can be dialed in to 0.01ms and level matching is very precise. I can also use active crossover feature and let the Trinnov align each channel as if I was aligning 2 drivers of an active speaker and basicly set the high pass and low pass filter to 1.

Does anyone see an issue with this or has anyone tried anything like this, maybe lessons learned?

I think it's a better idea to use higher crossovers with multiple subwoofers. 120-150Hz should be enough for the LS50 to play very loud. You want to make sure any EQ or room correction isn't boosting the LS50 also, I know Audyssey boosts dips by up to 9db.

Impossible

I think it's a better idea to use higher crossovers with multiple subwoofers. 120-150Hz should be enough for the LS50 to play very loud. You want to make sure any EQ or room correction isn't boosting the LS50 also, I know Audyssey boosts dips by up to 9db.
I do use a crossover of 150hz. Which does help a lot. But if I look at the dynamic range test (compression) from erin's audio corner I would like it not to change response between 500hz and 2k up to 96db. 3 or 4db better over 10k would also be great.

For music it's actually fine, not for movies where there is a lot of dynamic range content.

Top Bottom