• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LS50 Meta upgrade dilemma

biscotto

Hi all,

I have an upgrade dilemma and I'd like to read your perspective.

I currently own the KEF LS50 Meta (which I can still return) paired with a Cambridge CXA81.
I am quite happy with my setup: I love the detail and the imaging of the Metas, however I wish it had a bit more meat in the bass. Not too much bass (which I also don't like), just a little bit more.

I am considering the following options:
- Add a sub to the setup. Most likely the KEF KC62
- Buchardt S400 Mk2
- KEF R3, possibly the R3 Meta that just came out
- or something in the $2k price range

I mainly listen to rock, electronic, and classical music at a low to medium volume in a medium sized room.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Get a subwoofer. Sure, the R3 can dig deeper, but not as deep as a competent subwoofer.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A sub would be a good idea. Even if you decide you don't want to keep the Metas, you can still use the sub with whatever you replace it with. As for what kind, I know a lot of people are going for the EP-62, but I think it's too small. I own Metas and I pair them with a pair of SVS SB 2000's (originals) and I really like that setup. I'm in a small 12x12x8 foot room. You should also look into how you cross over the sub. Dirac is about to release DLBC for computers. If you plan to stream most of your music over, say, Tidal, Amazon or Qobuz, DLBC could provide both DSP and do the crossover, and probably do it more seamlessly than anything else.

Mikey1

If you listen at fairly low levels (e.g. desktop), do not get the KC62. It shuts off at low levels and there's no trigger or off/on/auto switch. I returned mine and replaced it with a SVS 3000 micro.

Audiomn

Forum Donor
For sure grab a sub. I’ve had the LS50s and they are great. I have R3s now and there’s not a huge difference. An SVS SB1000 SB2000 or SB3000 will make a massive difference. Focus on proper placement, integration, crossover and EQ.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
If you listen at fairly low levels (e.g. desktop), do not get the KC62. It shuts off at low levels and there's no trigger or off/on/auto switch. I returned mine and replaced it with a SVS 3000 micro.
I have a KC62 for a relatively small living room. On TV duties it works great, but it is also true that I use it and moderate volumes.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
+1 for getting a sub.
LS50 already are excellent speakers and the only thing they lack is bass extention. A sub is also more flexible with placement than speakers which can help a lot with getting the bass response right

nygafre

Why not just R3 Meta? :)
OP: Did you decide on anything?

OP
B

biscotto

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.

I pulled the trigger for the KEF KC62. It will arrive in a few days.
I was hesitant about it since it was reported that it shuts off at low volumes, but I read that they fixed this issue with a firmware update.

Mikey1

Good luck...

I had the "fixed" KC62 firmware (confirmed by KEF via serial number) and it still shut off at low volumes. I returned it. I'd buy another if they ever come out with a 12V trigger or off-on-auto switch.

Arnas

Go sub or go big with genelecs, cause kef r3 bass is very weak for my taste.
Very few bookshelf's have respectable bass. You want bass get a sub, if you dont want sub get active system or serious standmounts like dynaudio contour 20i which have thunderous bass!

Top Bottom