• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie D40

madDog

Seems like its fresh from the oven and in the same bracket as the ex5 and mkII. Would not get it until we get some measurments and that might take a while.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

xnor

700 mW @32 ohms = 4.7 V

LCD-2 Classic sensitivity = 101 dB/mW = 112.5 dB/V @70 ohms
4.7V/1V = +13.4 dB
since 70 ohms is an easier load you should get at least to ~126 dB

That should be enough gain even if you listen to low level classical recordings, power is a non-issue.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
700 mW @32 ohms = 4.7 V

4.7V/1V = +13.4 dB

That should be enough gain even if you listen to low level classical recordings, power is a non-issue.
Welcome!

Adaboy4z

I've read over the product description from Loxjie and it's the exact description for the SMSL D0200. Maybe it's a merger of the H0200 and D0200 minus a few outputs.

860lacov

700 mW @32 ohms = 4.7 V

4.7V/1V = +13.4 dB

Power isn't an issue but sound quality can be.
Is this what you meant ?

FlexYoFace

Any update on this
I've had it for a week. I returned the D30 es9068as for the stronger headphone amp and xlr for a future amp. Still not sure I really need it. It seems to be smoother in the ultra highs than the d30 and a little fatter in the lower mids and bass. The D30 was a tad sibilant in the ultra highs, and I jumped back and forth from filter 1 and filter 3 on that guy, but on the D40 it seems the sibilance is mostly tuned out and smoother. Still very much as exciting as the D30 was.. They're both great, very revealing and detail extracting dacs. I haven't quite played around with the "4" sound color modes for too long, they are very subtle. manual says 3, but I'm definitely seeing 4 sound color modes.

xnor

I've had it for a week. I returned the D30 es9068as for the stronger headphone amp and xlr for a future amp. Still not sure I really need it. It seems to be smoother in the ultra highs than the d30 and a little fatter in the lower mids and bass. The D30 was a tad sibilant in the ultra highs, and I jumped back and forth from filter 1 and filter 3 on that guy, but on the D40 it seems the sibilance is mostly tuned out and smoother. Still very much as exciting as the D30 was.. They're both great, very revealing and detail extracting dacs. I haven't quite played around with the "4" sound color modes for too long, they are very subtle. manual says 3, but I'm definitely seeing 4 sound color modes.
They use the same DAC chips and differences are below -120 dB according to Loxjie's measurements. That is over 20 bits. Unless you can also very clearly hear the quantization noise of 16-bit audio, which I highly doubt, there is no way to hear differences at that level.

The filters are also identical between the models. It also makes no sense to hear differences in sibilance, as the FR is flat in the relevant range and that is true even for filter 3 which has significant roll-off and also introduces phase shift.
The irony is that those two things are the only significant differences and they are literally over a million times larger in magnitude, and yet you claim to hear differences between the devices that are identical in this regard.

No offense but this sounds like a biased sighted comparison that is not plausible unless Loxjie engages in fraudulent marketing.

FlexYoFace

They use the same DAC chips and differences are below -120 dB according to Loxjie's measurements. That is over 20 bits. Unless you can also very clearly hear the quantization noise of 16-bit audio, which I highly doubt, there is no way to hear differences at that level.

The filters are also identical between the models. It also makes no sense to hear differences in sibilance, as the FR is flat in the relevant range and that is true even for filter 3 which has significant roll-off and also introduces phase shift.
The irony is that those two things are the only significant differences and they are literally over a million times larger in magnitude, and yet you claim to hear differences between the devices that are identical in this regard.

No offense but this sounds like a biased sighted comparison that is not plausible unless Loxjie engages in fraudulent marketing.

The D40 has sound coloration modes, the default setting is on mode SC1 and you can't bypass any of them. They do sound different, I swapped the RCA cables and listened for well over 40 hours this week. I can tell I'm listening to a different DAC. You can believe whatever you want, but I've heard them side by side. The headphone amp is also stronger which is immediately obvious. Are you going to argue it's the exact same product or something? because it's not.

xnor

The D40 has sound coloration modes, the default setting is on mode SC1 and you can't bypass any of them. They do sound different, I swapped the RCA cables and listened for well over 40 hours this week. I can tell I'm listening to a different DAC. You can believe whatever you want, but I've heard them side by side. The headphone amp is also stronger which is immediately obvious. Are you going to argue it's the exact same product or something? because it's not.
You're not seriously telling me that the D40 has no neutral mode that doesn't force some baked in EQ curve or other FX on the user, are you? Man, I'm really looking forward to seeing measurements of these settings..
I'm sorry but it doesn't matter how long you listened. You could have listened for 2000 or 0 hours, because in sighted comparisons you can tell that you've connected a different device even if you don't listen at all. Biases are unavoidable and the reason why people claim to hear differences even between identical devices.

The headphone amp is where there might be bigger differences, but we'll need some measurements to confirm that. Strangely, Loxjie doesn't even provide basic specs for the headphone out on the D40.
But in my previous post I wasn't talking about the headphone amp. I was talking about using it as a DAC since that is what you said you were using.

Cisco150

Is the Firmware updatable on this unit and is this more warmer or less harsh sound in the highs etc

Last edited:
Top Bottom