• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie D40 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 42 17.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 184 78.6%

• Total voters

dynamisoz

Hi.. also just noticed a pretty bad hiss when the headphone is connected. Not all the time, but just can figure out whats causing it. its worse with a sensitive headphone

JeyElDee

Hi all..
Does anyone know if you can run XLR and RCA at the same time on the Loxjie d40
Sorry for the late answer.
Yes it is possible : Long press on the 'output' button toggles between SE, BAL or both (LIN comes on the display - what could that mean ?).
Short press toggles between HPA and the selected output (SE-BAL-Both, depending on the preveous setting)

Now been using it for a while. As I can't test it with any measurements, only thing I can say : I like it, sounds just perfect.

What I have not found is a way to make it work in DAC mode (fixed output).
I did find out however, that the BAL-led goes on as soon as there is output on XLR.

dynamisoz

Sorry for the late answer.
Yes it is possible : Long press on the 'output' button toggles between SE, BAL or both (LIN comes on the display - what could that mean ?).
Short press toggles between HPA and the selected output (SE-BAL-Both, depending on the preveous setting)

Now been using it for a while. As I can't test it with any measurements, only thing I can say : I like it, sounds just perfect.

What I have not found is a way to make it work in DAC mode (fixed output).
I did find out however, that the BAL-led goes on as soon as there is output on XLR.
so are you saying "Lin" option means both output. cuz im not seeing "both" when i toggle through output selection.

JeyElDee

so are you saying "Lin" option means both output. cuz im not seeing "both" when i toggle through output selection.
Yes, the output button and the mode button on the remote toggles between the three options : Single Ended = "SE" on the display, Balanced = "BAL" on the display, Both outputs simultaneously = "LIN" on the display.

MisterOZ

Another question: does it have auto on/off and can anyone confirm the power consumption of 0.5 watts in standby mode?

JeyElDee

Another question: does it have auto on/off and can anyone confirm the power consumption of 0.5 watts in standby mode?
There does not seem to be any auto on/off. Can't say anything about the standby mode.

BressonWang

It seems 9068 is likely to have more 'hump' than 9038pro, say SMSL su8s and Gustard X16.

peterwen

Audio Company
Hi.. also just noticed a pretty bad hiss when the headphone is connected. Not all the time, but just can figure out whats causing it. its worse with a sensitive headphone
What kind of headset is being used, is it a highly sensitive one? Or are the machine's broken and in need of warranty? You can contact me if you need help.

dynamisoz

What kind of headset is being used, is it a highly sensitive one? Or are the machine's broken and in need of warranty? You can contact me if you need help.
Yea its a pretty sensitive IEM... Mangird Tea. has multiple drivers. other earphones are fine. so im guessing it has something to do with the sensitivity or multiple balanced drivers.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just ordered one from Amazon, first because I need a balanced output to use my Sabaj A8s as monoblocks and second because I FINALLY saw a dac of the well-known brands (topping smsl, sabaj loxije) that looks really elegant and "Western", I really like it aesthetically and it looks so professional and elegant. The thing I don't understand is why you continue to insert only one input of each type, I understand oer products with very low dimensions and costs such as Topping E30 / 50 but with all this space there would have been two optical and two coaxial inputs, too bad. (my ideal would also have been an rca line input to take advantage of other sources with the same preamp, but I don't expect too much ...)

peterwen

Audio Company
I just ordered one from Amazon, first because I need a balanced output to use my Sabaj A8s as monoblocks and second because I FINALLY saw a dac of the well-known brands (topping smsl, sabaj loxije) that looks really elegant and "Western", I really like it aesthetically and it looks so professional and elegant. The thing I don't understand is why you continue to insert only one input of each type, I understand oer products with very low dimensions and costs such as Topping E30 / 50 but with all this space there would have been two optical and two coaxial inputs, too bad. (my ideal would also have been an rca line input to take advantage of other sources with the same preamp, but I don't expect too much ...)
Thanks for your suggestion. We will consider your suggestion to add more input ports. More USB input ports can be added.

peterwen

Audio Company
The review about Loxjie D40 by Headfonics

hitechakias

Right after I read the test results, I ordered one on Amazon.de. It arrived yesterday and I immediatly connected it.
I don't intend to use it as headphone amp often but more as DAC or Preamp.
First impressions are fine. As neutral and open as one can expect considering the exceptionnal test results. In any way better than the recent reviewed SMSL M500 mk2 that was not my cup of tea because something must have been wrong with my sample (sent it back).
The Loxjie D40 will come into my top 5 Dac's, together with the Topping D70s, McIntosh DA1 module and RME AIE-2 Pro fsr. They all sound more or less the same, let's say, just perfect.

Now there are a few things that I would want to share.

1. The metal case is ok but rather light weight. I don't mind it being slightly more flimsy than the TOPPING units but still, it is lighter and has a slightly cheaper feel to it. I like the layout though.
2. The volume/selection knob is ... a toy. It works but has a very light plasticky feeling to it, being a bit loose it feels not really ... erm ... great.
3. I did not find a way to put this thing in pure DAC mode. Only preamp. To use it as a DAC, volume must be set at 100. Perhaps there is a way to do it but did not find it. Biggest issue is : see 6.
4. SC - sound colour. WTF ? As I read above, I defenately need to look into it. Though I heard no differences using it.
5. Filter 2 seemed to give more bass. Did not expect that, will be subjective because of roll-off. Will be using Filter1.
6. The display is rather small and does not display te volume (only brief after changing volume and goes back to samplerate). When using it as a DAC, you don't know if it still is at 100% unless you occasionally push the 'level up' button on te remote, just to check...
7. I don't understand the reason of the led's below the display, especially the output led sometimes going on when chosing SE output ... or not.
8. Some features are not explained in the tiny manual.
9. Why the buttons labelled "level" on the remote are used to change the volume in stead of the buttons "volume" goes beyond my understanding of Chinese logic.
10. When connected with USB to the computer, the unit is seen by the OS even when it is on another input or when the unit is completely off. This means the soudcard does not disappear when swithing inputs or turning it off. That is a relief.

But the sound is satisfying so it will remain mine :cool:
The volume/selection knob today was removed in my hand...I adored this dac until today...I guess it couldn't escape its destiny. At least when I pressed it back it stayed inside...though don't know until when...maybe next time it will be forever out or I have to glue it. I have no clue if they have any kind of support...bought it from Amazon or I have to live with it or buy CA 200M which was my preference too but couldn't find it instock back then. :-(

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all..
Does anyone know if you can run XLR and RCA at the same time on the Loxjie d40
I try to ask this exact question (when hardware equipped w/both XLR + RCA outputs) but usually gets no replies. :(
The availability of both types of outputs (Bal/SE) being enabled at the same time may never be attempted during @amirm test procedures.
IMO; you owe @JeyElDee at least a 'like' for his detailed answer to you.;)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The volume/selection knob today was removed in my hand...I adored this dac until today...I guess it couldn't escape its destiny. At least when I pressed it back it stayed inside...though don't know until when...maybe next time it will be forever out or I have to glue it. I have no clue if they have any kind of support...bought it from Amazon or I have to live with it or buy CA 200M which was my preference too but couldn't find it instock back then. :-(
Can't you just buy a replacement knob, like I did for another headphone amp, for instance something like this:

respice finem

Major Contributor
I guess the knob is simply "pressed on" and not the screw mounted type.
If so, a drop of silicone should do the job (not more than a drop, in case it must be removed later).

hitechakias

Can't you just buy a replacement knob, like I did for another headphone amp, for instance something like this:
It's difficult to find a knob with a matching color

It's difficult to find a knob with a matching color

hitechakias

I guess the knob is simply "pressed on" and not the screw mounted type.
If so, a drop of silicone should do the job (not more than a drop, in case it must be removed later).
Yes it's pressed on, not screwed (plastic on plastic) and even that it looks like there could be solutions to it its rather frustrating to pay 500 for a dac and not have an adequate building quality...for gentle use.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Yes it's pressed on, not screwed (plastic on plastic) and even that it looks like there could be solutions to it its rather frustrating to pay 500 for a dac and not have an adequate building quality...for gentle use.
Maybe a so called "monday product" :) I've already had an engine hood unlock lever in my hand... Wasn't cheap either (Merc E-Class). Nothing is "built for eternity" these days.

Top Bottom