• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie D40 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 42 17.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 184 78.6%

• Total voters

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As always, good graphics but no sound? Are you still listening to the measurements?
From the review:
Loxjie D40 Listening Tests
I performed my testing with my Sennheiser HD650 and Drop Ether CX, which are at different ends of the impedance spectrum. There was plenty of volume driving, both with superbly clean sound. Driving my everyday Dan Clark Stealth headphone was also satisfying, but due to its lower sensitivity, the D40 could not drive it to its maximum volume.

At least put some effort in reading the whole article before you attempt to post anything or question the reviewer.

beagleman

Major Contributor
While I am sure this measured quite good, not sure I can really give it a "Great" rating based on mostly costing a lot for what it is.

Is it just me, or do some of you guys look at this and see a $159.99-$229.99 device, but at a much higher price.

Not to bash it, but I have to factor price into my ratings.

beagleman

Major Contributor
Ironically you seemed to only have looked at the graphs and not read his comments.
I see one line about it driving headphones. Was there more later?

There was plenty of volume driving both with superbly clean sound. Driving my everyday Dan Clark Stealth headphone was also satisfying but due to its lower sensitivity, the D40 could not drive it to its maximum volume.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While I am sure this measured quite good, not sure I can really give it a "Great" rating based on mostly costing a lot for what it is.

Is it just me, or do some of you guys look at this and see a $159.99 device, being sold for a much higher price.

IMHO, prices for many DAC's that are deemed to be cheap or should be cheap currently are priced higher because of chip shortage. Other factor is the manufacturer adding additional technology to the DAC

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
As always, good graphics but no sound? Are you still listening to the measurements?

As always, trolling without reading?

nagster

It's an ancient kind of Chinese toy, called cloth tiger (布老虎), although it could be made with other material as well.

(And they came in all kinds of shapes and sizes)

View attachment 187946View attachment 187947
thank you.

Like the Pink Panther, does cloth tiger show the conclusion of the review?
Or is it just a decoration and has nothing to do with the D40's rating?

PeteL

Major Contributor

Is it just me, or do some of you guys look at this and see a $159.99-$229.99 device, but at a much higher price.

Let's put the instrument grade level of performance aside for a minute, Can you find any Balanced DAC -1W HP amp combo from anyone at 160$?

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Loxjie D40 stereo DAC with Bluetooth and headphone amplifier. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $430.
View attachment 187624

I like the design -- it reminds me of some European brands. Bright white LED display is highly responsive as is the rotary controller. I expect and am happy to see built-in power supply in this price class:

View attachment 187625

Loxjie D40 DAC Measurements
Let's start with our usual dashboard using USB input and XLR connection:

View attachment 187626

This is stellar performance with distortion at -140 dB and noise floor that is almost falling off the bottom of the chart! No wonder then that the D40 ranks as the forth best DAC I have ever measured:

View attachment 187627

View attachment 187628

RCA output performance is nearly as good:
View attachment 187629

Dynamic range as we could predict is excellent:

View attachment 187630

IMD performance is excellent other than a small indication of "ESS DAC IMD Hump:"

View attachment 187631

Linearity is textbook perfect:

View attachment 187632

Multitone results is superb:
View attachment 187635
Jitter performance over USB is excellent as well:

View attachment 187633

Toslink and Coax add some low frequency benign jitter:
View attachment 187634

Three filters are provided:
View attachment 187636

Attenuation is quite high which helps when we perform wideband THD+N measurements:

View attachment 187637

Loxjie D40 Headphone Measurements
Let's start with 50 mv and full output SNR:

View attachment 187638

The former is slightly below average:

View attachment 187639

Fortunately there is good amount of power with very low noise and distortion in general:
View attachment 187640
View attachment 187641

Notice lack of clipping. This means any distortion you hear is in the headphone or the content!

Loxjie D40 Listening Tests
I performed my testing with my Sennheiser HD650 and Drop Ether CX which are at different ends of the impedance spectrum. There was plenty of volume driving both with superbly clean sound. Driving my everyday Dan Clark Stealth headphone was also satisfying but due to its lower sensitivity, the D40 could not drive it to its maximum volume.

Conclusions
Playing at this level of performance is not easy: tons of attention needs to be paid to circuit design and layout to stomp any and all sources of noise and distortion. Other than leaving some ESS IMD distortion on the table, the D40 performs superbly in DAC department. The headphone output while not at the same level, still provides excellent performance and volume level.

I like the physical design which sets itself apart from the competition while being very performant to user input.

It is my pleasure to recommend the Loxjie D40 DAC and Headphone Amplifier.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Is this the best SINAD per $dollar value on ASR (above 115) ???

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this the best SINAD per $dollar value on ASR (above 115) ???
C'mon man...

1645379176250.png

That honor goes to Topping D10 Balanced.

Last edited:

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, there is a marriage but it is forced. I got audited by EEOC (Equality Employment Opportunity Commission). They naturally arrived at the conclusion that my hiring of models is not diverse as it is limited to one skin color (pink) and race (panther). They will start to fine me soon if I don't remedy this. It is the year of Tiger in Chinese calendar so I decided to go with that and yellow color. So I am now diverse in two dimensions!
Good lord, that's supposed to be a tiger...?! It could literally represent any animal with 2 eyes (an expressively silent plea for help) who's mouth has been gagged for a kidnapping. Although the asparagus sprouting out of its nose makes this all the more disturbing.
Screenshot 2022-02-20 093734.png

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the asparagus sprouting out of its nose
I saw what I wanted to see (I guess) and thought it was a pineapple.
Or maybe the cloth tiger (布老虎) is the equivalent of the 3-monkeys that are deaf/dumb/mute (see/speak/hear NO evil type).
202202_LoxjieD40Bride.jpg

She would have made a much better bride candidate << imho!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Good lord, that's supposed to be a tiger...?! It could literally represent any animal with 2 eyes (an expressively silent plea for help) who's mouth has been gagged for a kidnapping. Although the asparagus sprouting out of its nose makes this all the more disturbing.
View attachment 188035
How many Panthers you have seen that are pink and play golf???

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 188035
It's got the word 'Tiger' written on its forehead though.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How many Panthers you have seen that are pink and play golf???
I don't think anyone is allowed to play golf w/o foot protection.:)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My take on the review, I would think the headphone amplifier performance is more important than the DAC performance, so the stellar DAC performance for me is overshadowed by the poorer 50mv headphone amplifier performance, I don't think it's worth it for that reason as a best solution. Generally ok to good product though, just not totally balanced in performance between DAC & headphone amplifier whilst being quite a chunk of cash. I voted this "Fine".

GeekyBastard

It's interesting how insensitive some people could be towards other people's culture.:)

GeekyBastard

I saw what I wanted to see (I guess) and thought it was a pineapple.
Or maybe the cloth tiger (布老虎) is the equivalent of the 3-monkeys that are deaf/dumb/mute (see/speak/hear NO evil type).
The cloth tiger originated from the tiger totem worship, which means healthy, strong and brave, generally good luck for kids.

Top Bottom