• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie D40 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 42 17.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 184 78.6%

• Total voters

fordiebianco

Forum Donor

PeteL

Major Contributor
It's a nice case but if you going for a larger form factor, why 14 inches instead of standard consumer gear size that would matchup with a lot of other gear?
I haven't seen the spec, but looking at the picture of the back panel this is far from 14 inches. You meant to say it should have been a 14 inches wide product instead? (I think your sentence may be misconstructed, just a guess). To me anything designed to drive headphones is a "desktop" product. It should be made small to an extent. I don't see why you would want to match that with rackmount gear or such, but maybe I don't understand what you mean.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does this thing now have the best price/performance ratio of all the DACs tested?
It has the best performance at this price point. I am pretty sure the good $100 DACs have a better ratio, and I am guessing the <$15 competent generic Amazon DAC had the best price/performance ratio. Unless you include the DAC that came with your device, like your headphone out or whatever.

Snoopy

Major Contributor

That website is basically dead in the water... I've been looking at that site the past 18 months and you can count on one hand the units they had available

laudio

I haven't seen the spec, but looking at the picture of the back panel this is far from 14 inches. You meant to say it should have been a 14 inches wide product instead? (I think your sentence may be misconstructed, just a guess). To me anything designed to drive headphones is a "desktop" product. It should be made small to an extent. I don't see why you would want to match that with rackmount gear or such, but maybe I don't understand what you mean.

You are correct I had wrong size 240 mm or about 9.5 inches.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We can go to 24 bits or -144 dB.
Unfiltered, I hope! I think one can dig even deeper down to another extra bit...

In my mind; this puts an end to the argument that an internal AC/DC conversion does NOT have to have nasty side effects that bleed into the AP tested audio signal lines.
I haven't dug deep to find an tear-down photo of the Loxjie D40 but this one should be a testament of their savvy power conversion design.
1645299246200.png

Manufacturers no longer can blame noise issues and excuses for poor internal Vcc conversion designs...
There appears to be a Loxjie D50 w/MQA for about +$75USD and both models seem to be readily available at the aliexpress site; which appears to use similar graphs to those gifted to us by @amirm [thank you].

Last edited:

Ajax

Forum Donor
I read that phrase on this very forum like two years ago.
Not quite, but certainly the same intent .... this is what I wrote in Jan 2021.

"Having reached "good enough" DAC performance (as Archimago describes it) I support the desire of others for manufactures to improve their feature set so as to create a more inclusive or "all in one" item.

My "ideal" feature set for the next generation of DACs would incorporate excellent measured performance plus:

1. preamp function with digital volume control
2. adjustable voltage output (by the manufacturer) so you can plug straight into a hypex type power amp
2. raspberry pi streamer with ethernet & wifi for Tidal and Spotify Connect (for my family)
3. modular construction allowing the addition of extra channels for 5.1 or 7.2 systems or active speakers + subs = 6 or 8 channels
4. PEQ
5. remote

The Okto 8 from the Czech Republic is the closes so far to what I would like."

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
. Yes, in the end, the end result is better, EQing headphone is more audible than anything else so of course a correct tonal balance add a stronger benefit than anything else. But does it mean we should stop caring about everything else?

Well, many of us actually don’t care about audibly irrelevant differences, or computer gobbledegook such as USB class unless there’s an audible performance difference or usability improvement in this application. Even for those who do like to chase numbers, if a headphone DAC/amp combo does not provide EQ then none of the EE specs matter because fidelity is not there regardless. An analog headphone amp downstream from a processor-DAC is a higher fidelity option. I’d like to see more useful integrated desktop headphone products, because there’s no reason for DAC/amps to fail to implement useful EQ. This is a giant hole in the market, while functionally inadequate stuff with pretty engineering data proliferates.

As for Quedlix vs miniDSP Flex, both are fine in concept for this application generally, but there are important differences. The “wrong” refers to time more than anything else - Quedlix was on the market first, so a subsequent product cannot be said to have changed the game. Between them, Quedlix is 20% the price, much smaller, has crossfeed, and has more presets with an iOS UI to select between them. miniDSP has higher output, balanced outputs (I don’t think the “balanced” Quedlix output can drive normal balanced inputs), and better measurements. The main real differences between miniDSP Flex and the older 2x4HD for this application are Bluetooth (good), and a second volume knob that provides direct access to presets.

Personally, I find UI more important than “performance” as long as thresholds are met. I used to use a miniDSP 2x4HD as processor-DAC in front of an amp with crossfeed. But it was a PITA to switch profiles for different headphones. Quedlix with a higher gain amp is a more user friendly setup.

Then it would almost make ASR irrelevent,

Quite the opposite. The central insight from here in the headphone space is that they all need EQ.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Quite the opposite. The central insight from here in the headphone space is that they all need EQ.
So: Should we tar-n-feather (or otherwise disparage) output transducer (headphones/speaker) manufacturers to be responsible for our need for additional EQ in the audio chain, just to negate their ignorance in their designs?
ASR has been a champion in spearheading (forcing?) manufacturers to shape up but the user need for EQ should be the next conquest.
Thanks go all out to @amirm...:) bravo!

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So: Should we tar-n-feather (or otherwise disparage) output transducer (headphones/speaker) manufacturers to be responsible for our need for additional EQ in the audio chain, just to negate their ignorance in their designs?

There is no ignorance, just the inherent physical limits of passive single driver speakers. I guess you could call DCA Stealth the exception. It uses really sophisticated cabinets to physically address these inherent shortcomings.

But the general solutions are passive with external EQ, or integrated active with integrated signal processing.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it really this good looking, or just good pics?
It seems more like a Rotel or Nad than a chinese Dac, and no blue led lights.:)
They do a nice job with their cases. Even my Loxjie P20 feels and looks as good as my Cambridge Dou or whatever else. I really like the colors on this one with the little red anodized accent on the volume knob.

sonci99

They do a nice job with their cases. Even my Loxjie P20 feels and looks as good as my Cambridge Dou or whatever else. I really like the colors on this one with the little red anodized accent on the volume knob.
Is it heavy and well build or just good looking? Really I`d get this one just for the looks, in the end they should sound the same..

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it heavy and well build or just good looking? Really I`d get this one just for the looks, in the end they should sound the same..
You'll have to ask the bossman, but both the Loxjie devices I do have feel nice and have adequate weight to them. @amirm ?

PeteL

Major Contributor
Well, many of us actually don’t care about audibly irrelevant differences, or computer gobbledegook such as USB class unless there’s an audible performance difference or usability improvement in this application. Even for those who do like to chase numbers, if a headphone DAC/amp combo does not provide EQ then none of the EE specs matter because fidelity is not there regardless. An analog headphone amp downstream from a processor-DAC is a higher fidelity option. I’d like to see more useful integrated desktop headphone products, because there’s no reason for DAC/amps to fail to implement useful EQ. This is a giant hole in the market, while functionally inadequate stuff with pretty engineering data proliferates.

As for Quedlix vs miniDSP Flex, both are fine in concept for this application generally, but there are important differences. The “wrong” refers to time more than anything else - Quedlix was on the market first, so a subsequent product cannot be said to have changed the game. Between them, Quedlix is 20% the price, much smaller, has crossfeed, and has more presets with an iOS UI to select between them. miniDSP has higher output, balanced outputs (I don’t think the “balanced” Quedlix output can drive normal balanced inputs), and better measurements. The main real differences between miniDSP Flex and the older 2x4HD for this application are Bluetooth (good), and a second volume knob that provides direct access to presets.

Personally, I find UI more important than “performance” as long as thresholds are met. I used to use a miniDSP 2x4HD as processor-DAC in front of an amp with crossfeed. But it was a PITA to switch profiles for different headphones. Quedlix with a higher gain amp is a more user friendly setup.

Sure, I think that 96kHz operation in this day and age is a must. There are real concrete reason for that I won't go trough at this time. Qudelix does not, even tough it's specced for it, it's Dac resample after the Qualcomm chip. About "chasing numbers". I am not so much into chasing the absolute inaudible stuff, But a 80 dB SINAD can mean audible artifacts for certain use cases, in certain setups, for certain headphones, or certain set of ears, it's in the realm of what can be audible. Maybe not for you. When I was saying "would make ASR irrelevant" I was talking Electronics, which is the subject of this discussion, not headphones. As for the game changer is the one that's first, I can tell you they didn't invent PEQ, put the RME dacs as the one then if you are talking DAC Headphone amp with EQ combo.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It's a nice case but if you going for a larger form factor, why 14 inches instead of standard consumer gear size that would matchup with a lot of other gear?
It is a desktop product so it is sized that way. You can use in a stereo system of course but that is not its main focus.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is not a brick if that is what you are asking. Then again it doesn't feel like a toy plastic box either. It has enough weight to not surprise you with how light it is.

sonci99

It is a desktop product so it is sized that way. You can use in a stereo system of course but that is not its main focus.
What is a desktop dac? These high quality dacs are not meant for Hi Fi systems, but for desktop use? What would you recommend for a hifi rack?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is a desktop dac? These high quality dacs are not meant for Hi Fi systems, but for desktop use? What would you recommend for a hifi rack?
It is fine for hifi in every way, it is just smaller than 17 inches across the front and this one has a built in headphone amp so you can sit in front of it and listen with headphones if you want.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The largest audio market is people listening to music on their computer (while they work or play). They need better DAC and headphone amps than what comes with their computer. Stuff sits next to the monitor on the desk and hence the term, desktop audio.

Since many of these products thankfully come with a remote, you can also used them in a stereo system. For me though, I need to have a large display so I can see it from far. For this reason, I still use a pre-amp with large and visible display (and the fact that I can switch to my other analog source). So you can use them in rack if you don't have the requirement I have.

Top Bottom