• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie D30 vs. Topping MX5, or Loxjie A30

Bubba2022

I'm consider DAC/AMP and weighing between
Loxjie D30 and Topping MX5 (and Loxjie A30).

Speaker: Edifier R1280DBs (Active)
Laptop: Lenovo x1, it has quite weak poor sound Realtek built-in sound card

Topping MX5
+AptX LL
+AMP

Loxjie D30
+ MQA

The D30 is quite expensive, but from my understanding reading review it has superior sound quality, better than MX5 (?).
I was weighing between because MX5 provides many things in one. So if I were to use it in the future for passive speakers I can continue to benefit from MX5. I have seen quality issues in e.g. Topping DX3Pro+ volume controls.

On the other hand, I can also consider to get Loxjie A30 and combine it with D30.
Lastly I believe just getting A30 is also an option, but I cannot find A30 operate as DAC with FIXED RCA output to the Edifiers, so that's a challenge?

Would appreciate any pointers to crystalize my decision

Lossless

I just received my Loxjie D30 DAC and cannot be more pleased. I was initially concerned that the ESS Sabre chip wouldn’t have as good as sound as my SMSL M200 with AKM-4497 chip. Boy was I wrong! The ES9068AS is Sabre’s only “Current” output chip. AKM 4499 implemented Current output in their chips, be we all know about the AKM shortage.

If you stream TIDAL, the Loxjie D30 is one of a few Full MQA decoders. That means you can play MQA CDs or MQA files via digital SPDIF or coaxial input without the need of any software like Roon or Tidal.

The sound is very dynamic, great bass slam, good soundstage, black noise floor. There are several filters to choose from. They all have slight differences. The filters basically control how the DAC chip resolves the signal. 120dB SNR is great!! I was hoping the Loxjie D30 didn’t suffer from the know ESS Sable high frequency shrill. In LuCk!! No type of unwanted high frequency artifacts were perceived. I would compare the sound quality to that of the Gustard X16 DAC, maybe even better. That is totally subjective though and probably my bias of owning the Loxjie. Although the Gustard X16 uses two ES9068AS chips in dual mono configuration. Hence the lower noise floor of the Gustard.

The Loxjie D30 price has just gone up today $30 on Amazon to $289. I would have still bought it at that price because IMHO it’s well worth it.

I showed a friend of mine, who recently purchased Topping E50, and he’s now having buyers remorse. All I can say is Loxjie D30 v2 is a total sleeper, easily outperforming most $500 Delta Sigma DACs. Hope this helps. Good luck with your search.

OP
B

Bubba2022

I just received my Loxjie D30 DAC and cannot be more pleased. I was initially concerned that the ESS Sabre chip wouldn’t have as good as sound as my SMSL M200 with AKM-4497 chip. Boy was I wrong! The ES9068AS is Sabre’s only “Current” output chip. AKM 4499 implemented Current output in their chips, be we all know about the AKM shortage.

If you stream TIDAL, the Loxjie D30 is one of a few Full MQA decoders. That means you can play MQA CDs or MQA files via digital SPDIF or coaxial input without the need of any software like Roon or Tidal.

The sound is very dynamic, great bass slam, good soundstage, black noise floor. There are several filters to choose from. They all have slight differences. The filters basically control how the DAC chip resolves the signal. 120dB SNR is great!! I was hoping the Loxjie D30 didn’t suffer from the know ESS Sable high frequency shrill. In LuCk!! No type of unwanted high frequency artifacts were perceived. I would compare the sound quality to that of the Gustard X16 DAC, maybe even better. That is totally subjective though and probably my bias of owning the Loxjie. Although the Gustard X16 uses two ES9068AS chips in dual mono configuration. Hence the lower noise floor of the Gustard.

The Loxjie D30 price has just gone up today $30 on Amazon to $289. I would have still bought it at that price because IMHO it’s well worth it.

I showed a friend of mine, who recently purchased Topping E50, and he’s now having buyers remorse. All I can say is Loxjie D30 v2 is a total sleeper, easily outperforming most $500 Delta Sigma DACs. Hope this helps. Good luck with your search.
Appreciate the guidance. It reconfirms that when it comes sound quality and accuracy, the Loxjie D30 is hard to beat... so I went I ahead and ordered one. :) You never know, now with chip shortage etc. prices could hike anytime. Or as Topping's Mx3, they may suddenly discontinue the product and replace it something new more expensive (product development).

OP
B

Bubba2022

Just wanted to circle back on this thread, I eventually received my Loxjie D30 and have it connected to my Thinkpad laptop on USB and the RCA/FIXED Out to Edifier r1280dbs and the sound is very good.

My room is a bit small and rectangular so I haven't been able to really play loud but it's more that enough.

At times I connect my Bose NC700 to the DAC and it provides decent sound. I don't play very loud but the quality is good. The dac also remembers volumes when switching between input sources.

I wish the auto switch off would not only switch of the display but also power off the device when not in use.

Attachments

• 20220122_120851.jpg
    20220122_120851.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 529
  • 20220122_120914.jpg
    20220122_120914.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 564

Timstunes

Forum Donor
The D30 is an excellent dac so if that’s what you are after, it would be my choice. However, I would seriously consider investing in better speakers first. A component can only perform as well as the speakers and the D30 will be limited by the Edifiers.

Top Bottom