• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie D30 Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

mamadu

Tidal is just a trash buggy app. I've had issues for it for years and support never actually bothers to help. They tell you they're looking into it then completely ghost you no matter how much you try to reach out to them. My entire account is bugged and filled with duplicates and it's been years since they told me they were looking into and trying to fix it lol. They never responded to me again. Terrible company. And for some reason tidal always sounded artificially sharper and boosted a few db to me. Didn't sound right. Even YouTube sounded better to me. For the longest time I thought that meant I just didn't like hifi lossless audio and that it may have even just been a placebo that my mundane brain couldn't tell the difference of to begin with. Lo and behold, I find someone's thorough examination of their content only to reveal that it IS boosted by a few db compared to Redbook, AND that it doesn't even match master source because most mqa tracks on tidal are not only lossy but seem to be just upsampled from CD quality rather than using the actual source. I forget which artist there was, but they took their work off after they found out tidal posted "master" quality audio of their work when they never even submitted their master quality source yet. Even though I will finally have an mqa capable dac I will not bother using mqa. Shady business practices like these need to be stopped. They basically just made up a proprietary audio format to milk ppl of money with licensing fees and the such. MQA COULD have been decent if it was actually used properly for it's intended purpose, as a lossy format that contains source quality audio in a CD quality data size, which would have been a good in between for streaming that could fit in between CD quality flac and master quality flac (since master quality flac will still always be better), but instead, at least in most on tidal, it's ended up being worse than both. I want to be mad at companies for even adopting mqa into their chips cause it's all a hoax, but it's not their fault, they need to make things that consumers want, and us dumb consumers not knowing any better have wanted mqa dacs enough to push manufacturers into to put mqa into their stuff and further supporting this madness. Well at the end of the day I'm fine with mqa gaining traction but only if there's going to be more transparency about what it's actually good for, and if tidal dies out completely cause it's a shit service. Anyways, my rant aside, here's a good read in mqa:

Even if this doesn't help you fix your issues at least you won't feel like you're missing out on anything and can just move on to a better platform, which would be a better solution to your issue anyways.
I’m on the $2 for three months of Tidal Masters promotion. So far, I like some elements of the service (adding artists, albums and playlists to my library is straightforward and convenient), some of the MQA albums I’ve listened to are quite good sounding (if not as bit-perfect as 24/96 and 24/192 FLAC files), and the iPhone app isn’t bad.

But the 2-3 second dropout at the beginning of songs is inexcusable. The lossy/distortion that the MQA encoder adds to masters is inexcusable. The fact that the Tidal app itself doesn’t tell you what the actual resolution is of the file you’re playing (except when you see it on the D30’s screen) is deceptive. The claims made by their marketing are deceptive. So once my 3 months are up, I’ll be moving on.

So far, the best service I’ve tried is Apple Music. Ties into my existing iTunes library, gives me hifi resolution (even shows me exactly what the resolution is in a pop-up window), works on all my Apple devices, and no sound dropouts. The D30 handles Apple Music superbly!

But I’m primarily a YouTube Music guy. I know, I know. The 256kb MP3s are wretched, but I don’t want to pay for Apple Music on top of my YouTube Music subscription. Good thing I’ve got plenty of 24/96 and 24/192 FLAC files to feed the D30.

lemon07r

I’m on the $2 for three months of Tidal Masters promotion. So far, I like some elements of the service (adding artists, albums and playlists to my library is straightforward and convenient), some of the MQA albums I’ve listened to are quite good sounding (if not as bit-perfect as 24/96 and 24/192 FLAC files), and the iPhone app isn’t bad.
[..]
So far, the best service I’ve tried is Apple Music. Ties into my existing iTunes library, gives me hifi resolution (even shows me exactly what the resolution is in a pop-up window), works on all my Apple devices, and no sound dropouts. The D30 handles Apple Music superbly!

But I’m primarily a YouTube Music guy. I know, I know. The 256kb MP3s are wretched, but I don’t want to pay for Apple Music on top of my YouTube Music subscription. Good thing I’ve got plenty of 24/96 and 24/192 FLAC files to feed the D30.
Try comparing how Tidal sounds to other services like amazon music hd, qobuz or deezer which all also has flacs. Tidal mqa AND hifi sounded artificially sharper to me, like boosted treble or something. I thought it was probably just in my head until people started doing bit to bit comparisons of the master flacs from redbook. They really do boost the sound to give ppl percieved "better" sound. I guess they were worried ppl wouldnt be able to tell the difference between 320 kbps and mqa lol. It was to the point where I would find myself listening to the same stuff on youtube instead when I couldnt brainwash myself into using tidal anymore.

But the 2-3 second dropout at the beginning of songs is inexcusable. The lossy/distortion that the MQA encoder adds to masters is inexcusable. The fact that the Tidal app itself doesn’t tell you what the actual resolution is of the file you’re playing (except when you see it on the D30’s screen) is deceptive. The claims made by their marketing are deceptive. So once my 3 months are up, I’ll be moving on.
100% agreed. Just google tidal bugs, or tidal support or something like that youll see how there are various issues, bugs, etc that havent been fixed for years and that support is literally ghost/nonexistent. They literally have fake customer support that doesnt actually do anything lol. One of the most misleading companies i've ever encountered.

I guess for $2 I wouldnt complain, thats a pretty good deal, just for a bad service. Im not really sure what service I'll use next cause I have no easy way to transfer my thousands of songs on tidal and youtube (just regular youtube videos).

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Tidal mqa AND hifi sounded artificially sharper to me, like boosted treble or something. I thought it was probably just in my head until people started doing bit to bit comparisons of the master flacs from redbook. They really do boost the sound to give ppl percieved "better" sound.

Can you link to where that is shown?

pieterv1

Can somebody confirm if this DAC, when AC is turned off and back on, resumes the DAC function as it was before removing power? (so there's no need to explicitly turn it on via the button or the remote)

It's an important factor for my setup. Thanks!

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can somebody confirm if this DAC, when AC is turned off and back on, resumes the DAC function as it was before removing power? (so there's no need to explicitly turn it on via the button or the remote)
Yes, but mine is the original D30. I can't speak for the newer ESS-based one reviewed here.

But obviously, if you have any PC applications that are in the process of using the DAC (like Foobar2000, for example), they will be very unhappy if you suddenly power it off.

Last edited:

pieterv1

Yes, makes sense :)
In my listening setup though, I only use toslink from Raspberry PI, CD player and TV through an automatic toslink switcher.

mamadu

It's an important factor for my setup. Thanks!
Every day I turn off the AC switch in the back of the D30 and then turn off the powerbar the D30 is connected to. The next day, I turn on the powerbar, turn on the AC switch, and the D30 automatically loads into the DAC mode, USB input (as it was when I shut it off).

Hopefully this is helpful for you. Let me know if you have any other questions / issues.

dheepak10

Tidal mqa AND hifi sounded artificially sharper to me, like boosted treble or something. I thought it was probably just in my head until people started doing bit to bit comparisons of the master flacs from redbook.
I do have to agree with this. Tidal masters do have boosted highs. I wish Qobuz was available at a decent price in Canada.
Apple music is good but there is no way to have it transmit bit-perfect to the DAC on Android.

Mark77

hi, I have been following you for a long time and I am only registered now, I ask you for advice, LOXD30, Topping DX3pro or D50S? I listen a lot via BT from Apple Music, which is the best choice? sorry my english not nice.

PH14

Can anyone with a Loxjie D30 please confirm the case size? The specs says 17cm by 15cm, but is unclear what is width en depth. Looking from the front, how wide is the D30?

ohnonotagain

I've ordered one of these (since Amazon had it available for local delivery), and now I've started thinking "what happens if I want to upgrade my amp?". I'm currently using a Teac A-H500i integrated which is very nice but its noise floor bothers me a little. Having seen the numbers the recently-released Topping PA5 can put out, I'm wondering if the lack of a balanced output on the D30 is going to hamstring me in future and I should switch it for the SMSL SU-8s.

What do you think - pay more for the SU-8s to get the balanced output and ensure I'm future-proof, or trust that at some point someone will release an amp that matches the PA5 but has an unbalanced input?

MNMLSM

Can anyone with a Loxjie D30 please confirm the case size? The specs says 17cm by 15cm, but is unclear what is width en depth. Looking from the front, how wide is the D30?
611scoGhaoL._AC_SX679_.jpg

PH14

Thanks, but the specs on the Loxjie home page say 17cm x 15cm. Unless the extra 2 are for the BT antenna. In any case, I'd like to be sure, so I would appreciate it if an owner could whip out a ruler and actually measure the front width ;)

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks, but the specs on the Loxjie home page say 17cm x 15cm. Unless the extra 2 are for the BT antenna. In any case, I'd like to be sure, so I would appreciate it if an owner could whip out a ruler and actually measure the front width ;)
I own it, V1 anyway. The case alone is 15x15 cm. The extra 2cm is for the BT antenna, indeed.

Hello.

I Recently bought a Loxjie D30, and I have a little issue with it.
I use the Loxjie on the PC with MusicBee.
My playlist has about half of the songs sampled at 44.1KHz and half at 48KHz.
Regardless of the format, FLAC or MP3, whenever music is playing, if the next track has a different sample rate, I go about 2 seconds without hearing the beginning of the track.

Ex: I'm listening to a track with a sample rate of 44.1KHz and I switch to a song with 48KHz, I don't hear about 2 two seconds of the beginning of the track at 48KHz,
the same happens if I switch back to a 44.1KHz track...

If I test different sample rates in the Windows audio properties, the same thing happens.
I tried it on foobar2000 and the same thing happens.

I had a Topping D10 for more than a year and that never happened, it switched to different sample rates and the songs played continuously.

Can anyone please tell me if this is normal on the Loxjie D30?

ManuMaker

Hello.

I Recently bought a Loxjie D30, and I have a little issue with it.
I use the Loxjie on the PC with MusicBee.
My playlist has about half of the songs sampled at 44.1KHz and half at 48KHz.
Regardless of the format, FLAC or MP3, whenever music is playing, if the next track has a different sample rate, I go about 2 seconds without hearing the beginning of the track.

Ex: I'm listening to a track with a sample rate of 44.1KHz and I switch to a song with 48KHz, I don't hear about 2 two seconds of the beginning of the track at 48KHz,
the same happens if I switch back to a 44.1KHz track...

If I test different sample rates in the Windows audio properties, the same thing happens.
I tried it on foobar2000 and the same thing happens.

I had a Topping D10 for more than a year and that never happened, it switched to different sample rates and the songs played continuously.

Can anyone please tell me if this is normal on the Loxjie D30?
Got the same problem.

Top Bottom