• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie D30 DAC and Headphone Amplifier Review

Against-Kun

The thing is I knew about powerline network sometimes causing issues. I simply didn't think about it.
I got those because my LG TV has issues with his wifi handling, you have to restart the wifi on first startup a few times to get it to work.
So a mesh wifi system won't help me.

Propheticus

It can when you buy a system where the nodes also have ethernet ports. Then you can place one node in the vicinity of the TV. There's several options out there by different brands that have this.

unfit327

How would this compare to the schiit modi 3 + magni 3+ stack which I currently own? The d30 has all the features I have been looking for like line out without unplugging headphones, Power on off unlike the modi 3, and the LCD display is a bonus.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Depends on what you're going to connect to them. The D30 has a headphone output while the E30 is a DAC only, but you won't want to run its output into any amplifier susceptible to ground loop issues - the E30 can be operating floating more easily if need be using a USB charger. Besides, not sure how much I'd trust the long-term reliability and electrical safety of an integrated power supply in such a relatively inexpensive device.

kernelpanic

Conclusions
The Loxjie targets the most common configuration and features one needs for a desktop product: DAC, headphone amp and bluetooth. The DAC performance is excellent. Anything better would cost you hundreds of dollars more. The headphone amplifier has very good noise and distortion but limited power. And too high a noise floor for sensitive IEMs. Still, as an included amplifier, it does the job for most people.

@amirm Great review and great looking product! Regarding your comment about having too high a noise floor for sensitive IEM's, is there a certain sensitivity level where this would be an issue? I have the Moondrop Starfields which are 32ohm, 122db sensitivity.

Phayes

I have been reading many dac reviews here, and am tempted by all the talk of near perfection, even with relatively affordable examples. I currently use a Firestone Audio Fubar IV dac headphone amp. It is 11 years old, uses a Cirrus Logic - CS4344 dac. Is this totally out of date now. I have up to now been very happy with it but you have made me suffer from upgraditis :)

jbjs5820

Recieved today the Loxjie d30 and paired with a new topping l30.
I really like it after some hours of using it.
just have to find a way to plug my jbl ls305 Mark I. to it.

Einar

I just got my unit and have a few concerns.
The input selector gives a bit of noise when used.
  • The remote is mislabeled where volume and level is switched. Volume does nothing. Level changes volume.
  • And as many have stated, the headphone amp is pretty underwhelming.
But my big problem is the native DSD playback. Not sure if it is on me, but for my fiio BTR5 it worked directly with UAPP from my phone. The D30 just gives a horrible white noise and no indication that it is a dsd stream. Any one else with a similar experience?

xerxes2

So the Sennheiser hd 559 got back in stock and I bought a pair and the D30 drives them easily. Running at 30/60 (50%??) is what I use for all day listening. So I'd say that the D30 can be used with easy to drive headphones for a cheap combo.

Einar

@xerxes2 The most underwhelming thing with the amp is the noise floor which is audible on my IEM:s. Though if you have headphones in the "sweet sport", not sensitive enough to have an audible noise floor but still sensitive enough to be driven to decent levels, the unit should be overall ok. Not too versatile, but it maybe hits the majority of use cases.

Spiral_Architect

Hi, this is my first post here. I have just received the Loxjie D30 that I am using with my PC via USB output to drive headphones and small powered monitors. The device delivers exactly all the functionality needed for this purpose in a small form factor and with a convenient interface. I have a few questions:

- I see that some of the filters seem to introduce a rolloff inside the 20kHz range. Subjectively i can't find any difference; regardless of this, is there an optimal setting that should be preferred from a purely theoretical standpoint ? Naively I would conclude that the "Super slow" filter is the most linear, what would be the advantage of using a different one ?
- The review mentions that Drop Ether CX needed almost max volume for acceptable listening levels and that the "same situation existed with Hd-650". Does this similarity also refer to the typical listening volume setting ? I have tested several headphones DT-990Pro, Hd650, ATH-M50 and never needed to go beyond 20/100 volume setting. I doubt there is some hidden preamp in my reproduction chain. I'm using WASAPI output on windows 10 with no special drivers installed. Just plug and play.
- By the way, is this the optimal way to run the device or is some sort of driver or additional software recommended ? (like Asio4All or other solutions)

Thanks in advance.

Propheticus

- actually the sharp filters are flatter at 20kHz, but then drop quickly before 24kHz. The slow ones drop more gradually or hardly at all but start earlier <20kHz to drop a little. Theoretically go with one of the sharp options. In practise I doubt if it's audible as long as there's no strong distortions in the inaudible higher range that could alias back into the audible range. My choice: short sharp

- Amir likes it loud :p I hardly ever go past 12/60 (but these Fidelio X2's are rather efficient)

- Drivers here (found here) contain ASIO drivers and XMOS control panel. (I use WASAPI, ASIO is not so user-friendly in that it does not switch back rates from 48kHz or 96kHz to 44.1kHz after closing Foobar2k that played a HiRes file.... which causes Spotify not to be able to play its 44.1kHz material) Unless really needed for your application I don't see added value in ASIO.

Spiral_Architect

Thank you for the quick reply. And what if I am playing source material that is 96kHz so it includes information up to 48kHz ? Does this imply a different optimal filter choice ? Obviously it's well beyond human hearing range but i'm just wondering from a technical point of view.

Right after writing my post I have actually installed those drivers. Yes they seem to enable asio playback that works fine (i'm using MusicBee as a player). Besides enabling ASIO support is there any benefit in using the drivers ?

Subjectively, sound quality seems more than good enough, it drives the Hd650 perfectly. It's also quite difficult to do subjective A/B testing of amps so I won't even attempt to do that. I could compare it to my AMB M3 that should be better (at least way more powerful) but it's 20 times the size and weight...and I doubt there will be a huge difference anyways.

Measurements are the only way and for 160€ this little box measures decently enough. I have also tried some IEM (Beyerdynamic Byron, probably not particularly sensitive) and they work perfectly, no significant noise floor.

Propheticus

The filter woulda/shoulda drop before 1/2 the sampling rate (Nyquist freq). So actually all these filters are too lenient in that they allow material above 22.05kHz. For sample rate 96kHz the filter will also be higher at around 48kHz.

I've installed the drivers and used them since, so can't compare to situation without. If you use the standard Wndows class drivers (and dont need ASIO) you might be fine without.

chocomamey

Thanks for the review Amir. Guess I was lucky buying this thing blind last week :)

Also the amp did better than i was expecting. Bought the L30 for that, so I have peace of mind.

EDIT: @amirm did you measure RCA out impedance by any chance?

Hi.How is your Loxjie D30 working to this day ? Have you been staying with this same dac or you change it ? Im looking for reviews of
new Topping D30 Pro (399 usd) but many folks says that they doesnt feel a change from cheaper toppinng e30 (150).It seems like the rise in dac prices is for featues (knobs ,xlr outs ,etc) and not for the chip but the implementation of itself and power supply. And other reviews says Loxjie d30 just beat in sound to topping e30,d50s and even smsl 200m, so its a good deal in my mind .Bluetooth isnt important to me because with an app on smartphone I can control my Pc music from Foobar and since it would be connected to the dac by Usb input ,the Pc it works as an excellent streamer without losing quality of details that get lost with bluetooth, and without having eyes glued to the Pc screen.

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi.How is your Loxjie D30 working to this day ? Have you been staying with this same dac or you change it ? Im looking for reviews of
new Topping D30 Pro (399 usd) but many folks says that they doesnt feel a change from cheaper toppinng e30 (150).It seems like the rise in dac prices is for featues (knobs ,xlr outs ,etc) and not for the chip but the implementation of itself and power supply. And other reviews says Loxjie d30 just beat in sound to topping e30,d50s and even smsl 200m, so its a good deal in my mind .Bluetooth isnt important to me because with an app on smartphone I can control my Pc music from Foobar and since it would be connected to the dac by Usb input ,the Pc it works as an excellent streamer without losing quality of details that get lost with bluetooth, and without having eyes glued to the Pc screen.
I gave the Loxjie D30 to a friend. Its a great peace and if you dont need XLR its probably the best Dac you can get for that price. Amp is okayish but not state of the art.

Top Bottom