• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LOXJIE D20

dave-m

I'm thinking about LOXJIE D20, anyone already received it? looking for some reviews/thoughts.
Thanks!

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine arrived a bit over a week ago. I am glad you asked as I have been gathering my thoughts and can give you initial impressions...and have some questions on it perhaps others can answer.

Some background for those not familiar with it:
- Loxjie is a new brand owned by Shenzhen Shuangmusanlin Electronics - the same company as SMSL and Sabaj
- 3 initial products are the A10 Mini Speaker Amp, the P20 Balanced Hybrid Headphone Amp, and the D20 DAC - Available AliExpress & Amazon

The D20 Retails for about $270 and is one of the first inexpensive DACs to use the flagship AK4497EQ chip
- USB, Toslink, and Coaxial Inputs. 1 Set of unbalanced outputs that are variable controlled by the front 40 step digital tuning knob
- Modestly powered but clean sounding headphone amp with 1/4" socket
- Includes a remote control that provides volume, muting, on/off, and all available menu functions by scrolling though the front display.
- Oled Display that is Tiny (photo attached...as the display is not shown on Amazon) fine for desktop use but illegible across the room.
- Menu functions include: Input, Output (Headphone or Line), Filter (6 options described below), Sound (4 options described below) Display Dimmer (4 levels and auto-off). Available in Red or Blue.

Filter Choices (AK4497EQ options): Short Delay Sharp Roll-off, Short Delay Slow Roll-off, Sharp Roll-off, Slow Roll-off, Super Slow Roll-off, Low-dispersion Short Delay
Sound Options: I have no idea what these do...anyone? Default, Current Max, Current Mid, Current Min.

Windows 10 Driver: No driver is included or referenced. Update...the driver is now available on the Loxjie-audio site. The driver is TUSBAudio Driver for XMOS v 3.34....which appears to be non-branded.

Initial thoughts: It sounds excellent and I have noticed no anomalies in its operation. Everything seems clean, noiseless, pop-free. The digital 40 step volume control of the line out is the best I have used on a DAC. The remote works flawlessly from close range..I have not tried from across the room. Note it is a slight improvement over previous SMSL/Sabaj remotes in that it does not have the three (A,B,C) buttons on the front that change the remote code and render it useless. Like many Chinese DACs/Amps...not all of the buttons do anything. Oddly the "Level" button controls the volume and the volume does nothing. The only criticism I have of its functions is that the display is very small and uses tiny fonts (Just like the Sabaj D4, A4).

Is it a great choice? There are other very strong contender at this price point. Topping D50 (flawless Specs, no headphone amp, volume control by button, no remote). SMSL SU-8 (Nearly Flawless Specs, Balanced Output, no headphone amp, remote volume but it appears many functions require the remote), Update: There is now a website up (see below), so one criticism gone.

I cannot reliably distinguish one well designed DAC from another based on sound. I think it odd Loxjie would release a fully balanced headphone amp while this DAC is unbalanced...but I am not convinced it makes any difference to the sound. It seems well built, looks nice if you like red/blue, and works well. I am pleased.

As it is one of the 1st mainstream DACs to use the AK4497... I am looking forward to measurements.

Attachments

• StackD201.jpg
    StackD201.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 2,147
Last edited:
OP
D

dave-m

Thanks GGroch!
Can I ask what DAC you had before D20? and how you compare them? also can you share your thoughts regarding P20 & D20 combo? (I already have P20).

Regarding website I found it few days ago: http://www.loxjie-audio.com

helloworld

Mine arrived a bit over a week ago. I am glad you asked as I have been gathering my thoughts and can give you initial impressions...and have some questions on it perhaps others can answer.

Some background for those not familiar with it:
- Loxjie is a new brand owned by Shenzhen Shuangmusanlin Electronics - the same company as SMSL and Sabaj
- 3 initial products are the A10 Mini Speaker Amp, the P20 Balanced Hybrid Headphone Amp, and the D20 DAC - Available AliExpress & Amazon

The D20 Retails for about $270 and is one of the first inexpensive DACs to use the flagship AK4497EQ chip
- USB, Toslink, and Coaxial Inputs. 1 Set of unbalanced outputs that are variable controlled by the front 40 step digital tuning knob
- Modestly powered but clean sounding headphone amp with 1/4" socket
- Includes a remote control that provides volume, muting, on/off, and all available menu functions by scrolling though the front display.
- Oled Display that is Tiny (photo attached...as the display is not shown on Amazon) fine for desktop use but illegible across the room.
- Menu functions include: Input, Output (Headphone or Line), Filter (6 options described below), Sound (4 options described below) Display Dimmer (4 levels and auto-off). Available in Red or Blue.

Filter Choices (AK4497EQ options): Short Delay Sharp Roll-off, Short Delay Slow Roll-off, Sharp Roll-off, Slow Roll-off, Super Slow Roll-off, Low-dispersion Short Delay
Sound Options: I have no idea what these do...anyone? Default, Current Max, Current Mid, Current Min.

Windows 10 Driver: No driver is included or referenced. I contacted Loxjie support through Amazon & they responded quickly, sending me TUSBAudio Driver for XMOS v 3.34....which appears to be non-branded.

Initial thoughts: It sounds excellent and I have noticed no anomalies in its operation. Everything seems clean, noiseless, pop-free. The digital 40 step volume control of the line out is the best I have used on a DAC. The remote works flawlessly from close range..I have not tried from across the room. Note it is a slight improvement over previous SMSL/Sabaj remotes in that it does not have the three (A,B,C) buttons on the front that change the remote code and render it useless. Like many Chinese DACs/Amps...not all of the buttons do anything. Oddly the "Level" button controls the volume and the volume does nothing. The only criticism I have of its functions is that the display is very small and uses tiny fonts (Just like the Sabaj D4, A4).

Is it a great choice? There are other very strong contender at this price point. Topping D50 (flawless Specs, no headphone amp, volume control by button, no remote). SMSL SU-8 (Nearly Flawless Specs, Balanced Output, no headphone amp, remote volume but it appears many functions require the remote), A clear disadvantage is that at the moment there is no Loxjie website for information or downloads. The user guide is easy to follow but not complete.

I cannot reliably distinguish one well designed DAC from another based on sound. I think it odd Loxjie would release a fully balanced headphone amp while this DAC is unbalanced...but I am not convinced it makes any difference to the sound. It seems well built, looks nice if you like red/blue, and works well. I am pleased.

As it is one of the 1st mainstream DACs to use the AK4497... I am looking forward to measurements.
looks like they have a website http://www.loxjie-audio.com/download.asp and here is the driver download page.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks guys...it does not yet show up in my google search, but you found it. Dave-M, I have a hard time distinguishing the performance of the too many modest DACs I own...except for features. I initially used my P20 with my Yulong D200 DAC which has balanced and unbalanced outputs. I am not sure I heard a difference switching between the outputs. I know Zeos claimed to hear huge differences...but I am skeptical unless there was a problem with the DAC he was using. It works fine with the P20 and looks nice ;) Sorry I cannot be more precise.

Last edited:

Noodles

Mine arrived Today and immediately i've noticed that the output gain is lower than the D50 by a margin of 2x ... however its clean all the way up and the headphone out is quite interesting too, handles my 150ohm Sennheisers 58x quite well ( i die at 28/40).
Looking forward for measurements.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see Zeos just Z-Reviewed the D20 on youtube. Pretty much in line with our thoughts. Quite Positive reveiw.

In that he only uses Toslink Optical, does not use any Hi Res/Hi Bitrate decoding, and does not subjectively hear much differences between DACs (nor do I), he gets most enthused about the remote. He does have an interesting theory on what Sound: Default, Current Max, Current Mid, and Current Min do. Noodles and others...let us know if you concur that it is a flat, treble boost, mid boost, bass boost, tone control.

Loxjie is apparently now sending him free review samples. His review drove sales on the P20 so I am sure they are hoping for the same here.

Noodles

It is very hard to say regarding the Current MIN/MID/MAX setting ... to me it feels like a 1dB boost in LOW/MID/HIGH ranges. Default is definitely flat though ... very much so :)
Since i run it through USB, i've noticed that there is something wonky with the drivers. The vendor certificate for them is expired since august and thats probably the reason there's no ASIO support currently and there's a LOXJIE UFD device thats missing the driver in ur Device manager.
I haven't hooked it up to a Mac yet so can't say what the situation is there, but it should just be plug and play.

Veri

Master Contributor
Interesting and pretty product but indeed odd to not make a balanced source to pair with the balanced P20 :)

Noodles

Interesting and pretty product but indeed odd to not make a balanced source to pair with the balanced P20 :)
I've already wrote to them twice regarding the balanced situation ... no clue if they've taken the hint :)
I think i'm keeping it though. My SMSL SU-8 arrives sometime this month and got my very very flat D50 to compare everything to.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since i run it through USB, i've noticed that there is something wonky with the drivers. The vendor certificate for them is expired since august and thats probably the reason there's no ASIO support currently and there's a LOXJIE UFD device thats missing the driver in ur Device manager.
I haven't hooked it up to a Mac yet so can't say what the situation is there, but it should just be plug and play.

I did not notice an issue with the missing Windows 10 device using the driver that they sent me. I used the one the vendor (Audio Center) sent not the one on the website. Why not message them through Amazon about the issue. They responded very quickly to me. I do notice that after the driver is installed it does not show as Loxjie in the windows audio choices. Once again, not home to see it, but it is something more chip specific (Theocon or something).

Noodles

I did not notice an issue with the missing Windows 10 device using the driver that they sent me. I used the one the vendor (Audio Center) sent not the one on the website. Why not message them through Amazon about the issue. They responded very quickly to me. I do notice that after the driver is installed it does not show as Loxjie in the windows audio choices. Once again, not home to see it, but it is something more chip specific (Theocon or something).
Thanks for the suggestion, but aside from ASIO not working, i'm not having any other issues with the unit, it's actually quite good. I've also already contacted the manufacturer about the problem and i prefer to properly resolve it instead of messing about with the drivers.

Last edited:

Noodles

I have bought the P20 amp and the company contacted me to send the D20. I gave them my info but did not hear back. So not sure if it is still arriving or not.
I got a P20 for myself as well but its still tied up in Customs ... can it take unbalanced and output to balanced or are the inputs <> outputs tied together ?

Veri

Master Contributor
I have bought the P20 amp and the company contacted me to send the D20. I gave them my info but did not hear back. So not sure if it is still arriving or not.
Awesome!

I got a P20 for myself as well but its still tied up in Customs ... can it take unbalanced and output to balanced or are the inputs <> outputs tied together ?
It can but in a $99 device I think there will be performance loss if not using SE>SE or BAL>BAL.

Noodles

Everything arrived and here is what a LOXJIE stack looks like:
20181206_145721.jpg

And here is a size comparison to a keyboard and the Topping D50 on the left:
20181206_145710.jpg

It all just looks .... Gorgeous !
The only thing i'm on the fence about keeping is the A10 amp (the triangle thing red) as it has a noticeable power amp hum after about 10 o'clock, there is also a channel imbalance in the low volumes...

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Return the A10 imo, doesn't sound like a quality product from your description.

Lots of gear in that picture lol. D50, A20/P20, sound blaster...!

Noodles

The Sound Blaster i was using (and will probably continue using it) for speakers until i get something better ... the Headphone out is quite good and i can opamp roll it, (plus has a Burr-Brown DAC -- but it distorts at specific frequencies) However since one needs creative's software installed to do stuff .... no bueno.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My A10 has no hum I can hear. There is a teardown of the A10 on Youtube. The board looks well organized like the other SMSL/Sabaj stuff, and they are using nice looking well finished aluminum cases.

But the first 3 Loxjie releases seem sort of random...not designed to go with each other. Medium Priced Unbalanced DAC, Value Priced Balanced Hybrid Headphone Amp, and Cheap Oddly Shape amp. But I like all three except that connecting them to each other requires a couple of Y cables.

I think you have collected the majority of triangular audio components (2). ;)

Top Bottom